Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Farewell Pokemon Insurance, a Pokemon romhack so shocking normal it didn't even inspire a single wacky thread title change.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

BisbyWorl posted:

Now we have nothing to distract us from Reborn and Rejuvenation god save our souls.

Time for me to step up and make my Let's Play debut with the LP of Pokemon Spork that I've been considering doing! :v:

(Naaaaah.)

nine-gear crow posted:

Farewell Pokemon Insurance, a Pokemon romhack so shocking normal it didn't even inspire a single wacky thread title change.

...huh. I didn't even notice. I'm kind of disappointed in retrospect now.

M.Matsuda
May 9, 2014

May the Sacred Flame shine forth!

thanks for a great LP.

:bandwagon: that the final update wasn't that bad. :unsmith:

gonna miss this when reborn, reborn's though :smith:

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

Zuzie posted:

Dev Island seems a bit silly. I mean, the official games sort of do the same thing, but the unique and outlandish trainer sprites seem, I'm not sure... grandiose?

I disagree, I like the outlandish designs. I mean, if I got to be in a game, I would totally depict myself as a silly knight with a starry cape or a witch or a dragon tamer. It's indulgent, sure, but it's harmless fun. And it's not in the main game to take you out of the pokemon world save the one dev, who doesn't have as crazy a design.

I feel the artists did an A+ job on it.

Eeepies
May 29, 2013

Bocchi-chan's... dead.
We'll have to find a new guitarist.
I feel like Nora's ending is ok. She remains upbeat enough to move to a new realm and start her adventure from scratch, and it's fitting with her character arc. Damian too has all his plots tied up and now just wants to live in peace after everything that happened. I really don't think this ending was a downer at all.

It was a great LP by the way, and thanks for showing this game off!

Pugnacious Doggie
Dec 18, 2018

Its Not mY AGe To Do AnY woRk,no luv No joB I Am fRee Now.
:toot:

Thanks for making this LP DN, it was really entertaining!

MR. J
Nov 22, 2011

Chuck and Fuck
Echoing that this LP was a good time; thanks! Ending feels more like your friends leaving after they graduate or something rather than a total downer. It wasn't that bad.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Thanks for the LP. Nthing the ending not being that bad. I think the only other pokemon fan game I ever tried was Quartz, way back when that was being LPed, which I soft locked 1/3 of the way through. You made this one look fun enough that I decided to give it a shot. I did pretty much everything, besides the complete pokedex that I mentioned before is impossible for multiple different reasons without having someone to trade dozens of times. Dev island honestly wasn't THAT bad...

Is what I would say if it wasn't for that god-awful Groudon. The rest of them took a few tries at most once I worked out a strategy. Nothing I did could touch Groudon and it always took out 2 or 3 of my pokemon before I could bring it down. I finally got lucky on some misses IIRC and got rid of it without losing half my team. I wish I'd thought to take screenshots or something, but eh. I think people get the idea. They're all pretty rough fights with some luck but Groudon is the only one that really felt cheap.

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

Thanks for the LP and showing off all the important parts of this game! It's amazing how this game became mostly funny after an edgy start.

Still confused as to how they thought that the chance to get the lake trio is a good reward for beating 10 superbosses, but its better than nothing, I guess. I'd personally prefer to get Master Balls.

Damanation
Apr 16, 2018

Congratulations!

Thanks for the LP! It was really great. It will be missed.

I wish more of the legendaries were avaible earlier and easier to catch so you could use them for these endgame challenges though.

Elchar
Jan 15, 2019

one majestic bitch
Well, as a bit of an astronomy nerd, I just have to be that guy and point out that no, Oort cloud is not located right beyond Pluto. Pluto is located inside an area called Kuiper belt, which contains many objects and stretches way past Pluto's orbit. And then, far behind Keiper belt, is the Oort cloud. It is so far away that we did not actually spot any objects from it yet.

That being said, I am a bit sad to see this LP finished. In the end, Insurgence managed to be a pretty great Pokémon game. Thank you, DoubleNegative, for going through with it. It was a good ride.

(By the way, for a little bit, I was actually thinking about trying to play it and complete the Pokédex, I actually enjoy long tedious tasks like that... but when I saw what I would have to fight through to get the Lake trio.... I think I'll pass...)

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

DoubleNegative posted:

This cute little thing. This is UFI. It's Psychic/Electric type. Its ability is Event Horizon (Any Pokemon that contacts this one can't escape). It's basically Arena Trap but only if you make contact.

Welp, looks like we're going into overtime. (For posterity, I was going to do Ashes to Ashes to help emphasize the downbeat note the LP is apparently ending on but David Bowie arranges his lyrics so carefully that it greatly restricts what words you can swap in, making parodies of his stuff exceedingly difficult to devise)

Floating there alone
The trainer's trading
All systems are go
"Are you sure?"
The PC's not convinced
But the LPer
Has a post to make
Not gonna abort
The countdown starts

Waiting in its ball
The Mew's uncertain
Wonder Trade's all chance
All is working
Trying to relax
Inside its capsule
"Send me Soda Pop"
Jokes Major Mew
The trade goes through

1, 2, and Poof
Wonder Trading
Switching, swapping
Random new friends
Calling your game home

Poke Ball is off
The Mew's in transit
Trading servers up
Running perfect
Starting to exchange
Pokemon data
"Who will I befriend
Once I get through?"
Thinks Major Mew

Back at Wonder Trade
There is a problem
"Try a different port."
Not responding
"Hello, Major Mew
Are you receiving?
We have no idea
What it's about"
The trade times out

1, 2, and Poof
Wonder Trading
Switching, swapping
Random new friends
Calling your game home

From deep in cyberspace
A final message
"Give Amy my love"
Then nothing more

Back in the real world
The trainer's mourning
Doesn't realize
It's alive
They don't understand
But Major Mew sees
"I just found this suit
And this cool guy
Named UFI"

1, 2, and Poof
Wonder Trading
Switching, swapping
Random new friends
Calling your game home

(Repeat and so on)

AlexMCS
Mar 1, 2019
Thanks a lot, DoubleNegative.
Once again, I only joined this forum because of your LP.
No regrets.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
Game was pretty okay, and I'm interested in where they take the follow-up. Not much more to say beyond UFI is very cute

LP was fun, thanks for the effort!

Elchar
Jan 15, 2019

one majestic bitch
Well, I had to make a little goodbye to this fun thread. All three of them together.

Elchar fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Apr 26, 2019

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

Elchar posted:

Well, I had to make a little goodbye to this fun thread. All three of them together.

:kimchi: This is adorable!

EclecticTastes posted:

Welp, looks like we're going into overtime. (For posterity, I was going to do Ashes to Ashes to help emphasize the downbeat note the LP is apparently ending on but David Bowie arranges his lyrics so carefully that it greatly restricts what words you can swap in, making parodies of his stuff exceedingly difficult to devise)

Floating there alone
The trainer's trading
All systems are go
"Are you sure?"
The PC's not convinced
But the LPer
Has a post to make
Not gonna abort
The countdown starts

Waiting in its ball
The Mew's uncertain
Wonder Trade's all chance
All is working
Trying to relax
Inside its capsule
"Send me Soda Pop"
Jokes Major Mew
The trade goes through

1, 2, and Poof
Wonder Trading
Switching, swapping
Random new friends
Calling your game home

Poke Ball is off
The Mew's in transit
Trading servers up
Running perfect
Starting to exchange
Pokemon data
"Who will I befriend
Once I get through?"
Thinks Major Mew

Back at Wonder Trade
There is a problem
"Try a different port."
Not responding
"Hello, Major Mew
Are you receiving?
We have no idea
What it's about"
The trade times out

1, 2, and Poof
Wonder Trading
Switching, swapping
Random new friends
Calling your game home

From deep in cyberspace
A final message
"Give Amy my love"
Then nothing more

Back in the real world
The trainer's mourning
Doesn't realize
It's alive
They don't understand
But Major Mew sees
"I just found this suit
And this cool guy
Named UFI"

1, 2, and Poof
Wonder Trading
Switching, swapping
Random new friends
Calling your game home

(Repeat and so on)

And this is awesome.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
This was a great LP. Thanks, DoubleNegative!

Elchar posted:

Best Friends :3:

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
It was a pleasure reading this lp and getting to see all of the creative Delta designs they came up with.

DiggleWrath
Aug 30, 2018

O O
>

This was a great LP. And while the final update was very melancholy, I feel like it was a fine way to end Nora's and Damien's arcs. But the real downer is that there's nothing to contrast with Reborn now...

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

I was honestly half expecting this "malevolent" thing that we took despite every warning to be, you know, actually malevolent and murdering everything because of the DoubleNegative's warning about the ending. It's a downer in that Amy's friends are gone, but they left on good terms.

Damian still literally living in your mental space is bizarre no matter how you spin it though.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

kw0134 posted:

I was honestly half expecting this "malevolent" thing that we took despite every warning to be, you know, actually malevolent and murdering everything because of the DoubleNegative's warning about the ending. It's a downer in that Amy's friends are gone, but they left on good terms.

Damian still literally living in your mental space is bizarre no matter how you spin it though.
The way the game presents it, it's more like a realm of the collective unconscious shaped by Amy's mind rather than him literally living in her head. Think of it more like he's living in her Palace, if you've played Persona 5.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Echoing everyone else, thanks for a great LP of a surprisingly good, fun game.

Arcade Rabbit
Nov 11, 2013

I love that the one completely original pokemon in the game is a literal Alien. I wonder if Space Mew was foreshadowing?

FrozenPhoenix71
Jan 9, 2019
This LP was great to read, thanks for it!

Ending was a "downer" but not really sad, just closure. I'm fine with that. That's how things go sometimes. I know the game was rough around the edges, but this really truly is my favorite Pokemon fangame out there(not that there's a lot of competition for good ones, but still)and I thank you for showing it off.

Magil of Shadow
Dec 28, 2009

Proposal: Form a friendly relationship immediately.

"You have GOT to be kidding me"

I can see where DN was coming from, as, when compared to, say, the cast of Reborn, Nora and Damian were more or less tolerable at worst, so them leaving after everything with the plot might feel like a punch to the gut, especially if you go though all the sidequests and whatnot. It's less a bad plot ending, then a bad sendoff when there's just so much else contained within.

OgretailFood
Oct 9, 2012

Recommended by 10 out of 10 Aragami

Thanks for the LP! Honestly was expecting something Reborn-bad during the first update but then became incredibly charming thanks to the deltas (which are awesome and cute) and the kamen raider plot.

As for the pixie trio, I think UFI should be considered the real reward here. It's so cute to the point that I don't even want to call it a "fakemon". :3:

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
Great LP, hope the next is just as good!

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

Throwing my hat in for "the ending isn't that bad". It's a little depressing, but at the same time, it doesn't really feel... 'permanent' or 'final' or what have you. There's nothing tying Amy to the region- in fact, there's even an entire post-game sidequest that takes place in a separate region- so there's no reason she couldn't visit Nora every so often, or possibly even join her in her new adventure. Damian is in the dream realm, which gives the possibility of Amy getting to see him whenever she goes to sleep, and even if that isn't how that works, she still has a more direct route into the dream realm.

Regardless, this was an excellent LP. My first introduction to Insurgence was actually reading its page on TV Tropes, and like so many others I wrote it off as just being more overly-edgy Reborn garbage. It was great getting to see just how wrong that impression was, and I don't think I could've asked for a better LPer.

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

Thanks for the great LP.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Jeez, good job with this LP. A great read from start to finish, had a lot of fun. Heck, maybe I'll pick the game up now. Or just wait for Project Azurite to finish, maybe the devs will be able to pull it off successfully.

Anyway, hopefully see you next LP.

limeicebreakers
May 1, 2017

A bit of a downer, yeah, but more melancholy i feel. Nora and Damien had an awful time during the game and I'm happy to see they've found something better to do after it. Thanks a lot for this incredible LP, DoubleNegative!

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?

Yet another person agreeing that it wasn't as bad as you were making it out to be. It's not like Amy couldn't see both of them again. Besides, Damian is finally free to make the choice to stay in the dream realm, instead of being mind controlled into doing something he wouldn't normally do. I'd say that's a good ending for him.

Also, thanks for making this LP. I am definitely looking forward to project Azurite.

BlazeEmblem fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Apr 26, 2019

SirSystemError
Jan 3, 2018

Thanks for LPing this, it was definitely way better than expected. Ending wasn't even as bad as I thought, except for the lake fairies being locked behind the devs. That's just dumb.

A bit disappointed that the traditional updates stopped partway. In related news to other ways to play through though, I found out people actually speedrun this game. There's one route that uses Excadrill for most of the game, and one route in development that uses Gyarados. Actually got me interested enough to check into those.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

What a cool game, that's for showing it!

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

Thanks for the LP!

I really am kind of surprised by how much more down on the game DN is than the thread. Stuff like the warning about the ending when really it’s bittersweet at most - our friends have found new places in the world, and we can visit Damien whenever we want and can presumably call up Nora wherever she goes to adventure next. And deleting the game at the end seemed a bit excessive, but hey, we’re not the ones who had to deal with the sometimes problematic gameplay and we could skim past the occasional low points like Victory Road. Or the bugs - there were at least what, 3 abilities that didn’t work during this playthrough?

Overall it seems like a really nice game - the story is at its most edgy at the very start of the game, and is otherwise mostly reasonable, the antagonists are either clever or the game is laughing at them right alongside us, many of the characters are memorable, and the delta Pokémon are almost all really good designs. Obviously the games good qualities get highlighted when compared to Reborn, but even without that it just seems good.

Inferno-sama
Jun 5, 2015

You touch my burger, and I'll slap you so hard you won't even be able to understand how you fucked up.
Thank you for LPing this flawed but fun and lovingly made game.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

I mean, nora ditches the region to get away from the trauma rather than for positive self growth. And Damian talks about needing to atone and gives away the thing that "made him cocky" when he was never a bad guy but a victim himself.

It's a very melancholy, bittersweet ending for your rivals compared to the mainline games.

Shoot, for that matter it stands out against the comical edginess of the rest of the game because it's a well handled darker moment.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Qrr posted:

Thanks for the LP!

I really am kind of surprised by how much more down on the game DN is than the thread. Stuff like the warning about the ending when really it’s bittersweet at most - our friends have found new places in the world, and we can visit Damien whenever we want and can presumably call up Nora wherever she goes to adventure next. And deleting the game at the end seemed a bit excessive, but hey, we’re not the ones who had to deal with the sometimes problematic gameplay and we could skim past the occasional low points like Victory Road. Or the bugs - there were at least what, 3 abilities that didn’t work during this playthrough?

Overall it seems like a really nice game - the story is at its most edgy at the very start of the game, and is otherwise mostly reasonable, the antagonists are either clever or the game is laughing at them right alongside us, many of the characters are memorable, and the delta Pokémon are almost all really good designs. Obviously the games good qualities get highlighted when compared to Reborn, but even without that it just seems good.
Probably because he's the one who had to play it. This game is looking a fair sight better due to the comparison to Reborn and the LP format (as well as DN's lp style), but it's not a high-quality fangame, just not horrible.

blitzente
Apr 26, 2017
Thanks for the excellent LP of a surprisingly charming fangame, DN!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Yeah, I'm kind of whatever about Nora because she spent a lot of the game being a jerk, but seeing Damien hide himself away in our mindscape and still beating himself up over what happened to him makes me super :smith:.