Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

Pokemon Insurgence is yet another Pokemon Essentials-based fangame. Unlike the ones that Orange Fluffy Sheep has done, this one isn't nearly as bad. Don't get me wrong, it's not good by any stretch of the imagination. This game is brutally, unforgivingly hard and it has two stories. One is "dark and mature" and the other "is closer to a normal pokemon story." Both stories go through the same game, so I'm not sure much changes.

However, there's something very important to remember. The devs for Insurgence aren't suffering from Absolute Virtue syndrome. So named for the infamous FFXI boss where the developers kept banning players who beat the boss because it wasn't done "correctly". The game is difficult because the devs are under the impression that their playerbase enjoys fighting competitive-viable teams.

What makes you qualified to LP a pokemon game?

I'm the least qualified person possible. I've played most of the mainline games, but I haven't memorized the type chart. Instead, I keep a website open that does the work for me. Until Gen 6, I made teams with 4 attack moves and no status effects... positive or negative. Don't come here looking for competence. I'm just here to shepherd you all through the lovely story while abusing super effective moves and an unending supply of revives. I have beaten this game before and by god I will do it again.

Spoiler Policy?

None. At all. Ever. Don't be that guy who comes in after the second update to drop a wall of text containing unmarked spoilers about the final boss and ending. No wink-wink-nudge-nudge spoilers. No "oh wait till you guys see THIS part" stuff. Just be cool and enjoy the parade of terribleness. We'll get to the end come hell or high water. For what it's worth, discussing specific "Delta Pokemon" if I haven't shown them off counts as a spoiler. I'm gonna try to show off as many as I can. The ones I can't, I'll describe. If you don't know what a "Delta Pokemon" is, then I have such sights to show you. Strap in because this crazy train don't stop.

Updates

As the game progresses, the title screen changes to preview the legendary pokemon we'll be meeting battling next. Due to a bug, I didn't realize this until I was 90% through with the LP. So I've done my best to split the title screens up to where they approximately should be. Also the title screens stop changing once we reach the postgame.

The Cult of Darkrai
Telnor Town
Shade Forest
Telnor Cave

Midna Town
Midna Mine
Ancient Ruins

Suntouched City
Suntouched Gym
Suntouched Gym Plot Dump

Metchi Town
Vipik City
Vipik Gym
Vipik Dump

Samsara Cave
Rezzai Desert
Helios City
The Black Market
The Jade Tower

Utira Town
Utira Library ***THERE BE LOTS OF PUNS***
Miara Town
Whirl Islands

Sonata City
Sonata Hills
Kepler City
Abyssal Base

Kepler Gym
Kepler Lab
Nasca Town

Murk Forest
Fiery Caverns
Selene City
Selene City Gym

The Dragon Ruins
The Ancient Tower
Oranos Town
Satellite Corps

Crystal Cave
Amphitrite Gym
Perfection Base
Mount Rose
Infernal Base

The Cult of Darkrai (Revisit)

Prion Town
Erebus City

Crystal Cave (return)
Void Gauntlet
Victory Road
Elite Four
Championship

Postgame

The Postgame is divided up by sidequests.

Home of the Timeless

Gaea Town
Hiking Boots Roundup

Holon Grasslands
Holon Marsh
Holon Desert
Holon Lake
Holon Jungle
Holon Mountain
Holon Volcano
Gaea Core

Samsara Cave

Nightmare Badlands

No Man's Land
The Great Namehere

The Outer Core

The Deep Cavern

The Throne of the Hegemon
Legendary Wrap-Up
Elite Four Rematch
The End

Memory Editing For Fun and Profit

Leonyth has volunteered to go through the game on the non-edgy story mode. These are his findings up through the third gym!

Traditional Mode #1
Traditional Mode #2
Traditional Mode #3
Traditional Mode #4
Traditional Mode #5

SirSystemError shows off the Pokemon Insurgence Speedrun

The Insurgence Speedrun Route, Part 1
The Insurgence Speedrun Route, Part 2
The Insurgence Speedrun Route, Part 3

Fan Art

DoubleNegative fucked around with this message at 12:20 on May 30, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Ten people are pictured here. I sincerely hope none of them ever wind up reading this, because I'm gonna spend quite a lot of time savaging this game.

Please support the official release.

We don't have to press any buttons here. The game moves on after a few seconds.

I've beaten this game. I still don't know why Giratina is on the title screen. I can think of close to a half dozen other legendaries that have more cause to be there.

EDIT FROM APRIL, 2019: It's because of a bug. It's supposed to be Mew.

No, I don't think we need to load my endgame save. Let's ignore the question of why I have two Gardevoir... or why it looks like I have a purple maned boar.

Much better! Do official pokemon games have multiple save files? I don't believe ORAS did, but I didn't pay too close attention regardless.

Just need to change a few settings real quick. First off, text speed goes to max where it will never leave.

Music gets muted and sounds get cut to 80% of normal. The music that comes with the game doesn't loop correctly. For instance, the pokecenter theme is 30 seconds of music and then 5 seconds of nothing while it repeats.

I'm sure I could fix it, but that's expending effort and it's a lot easier to just open iTunes and catch up on my growing podcast backlog. Pokemon is really enhanced by shouting at the podcast hosts to stop talking over each other.

Difficulty will stay on Normal for most of the game. The difficulty setting only affects rival battles, gym battles, and major plot battles. Teams on Easy generally have lower levels and the movesets aren't as dickish. Hard mode is just All Competitive Viable Teams All The Time, and gently caress that noise.

Turbo speed doesn't matter because after the first update I'm gonna open CheatEngine and toggle the speedhack. For whatever reason this game is really goddamned slow by default. Turbo is supposed to alleviate that, but it doesn't work during scene transitions or during some pokemon moves... or during plot moments. Also it's a "hold to activate" thing, so it's a lot easier to tell CheatEngine to run the game at 1.75x speed and have something playable.

Purity mode is going to be off because this game has something called Delta Pokemon that are equal parts amazing and stupid and they need to be shared with the world. I unironically love them and Purity Mode disables them.

Constant Daytime is on because otherwise the game is way too dark at night.

Anyway, that's all the options that I needed to toggle. Let's boogy!

I mentioned above that I've beaten this game before. I'm kinda curious how some plot details go in the traditional story. We're not gonna find out because this is a pokemon fangame LP. We're in this for the atrocity tourism. Dark all the way!

are cults.

switch later on if it's too tame or edgy.

This setting can be changed at pretty much any time, as long as we're in a pokecenter. The story isn't even all that edgelord-y, to be honest. This is certainly no Reborn.

The framerate takes a sharp nosedive when the view turns like this. That aside, this is a pretty nice view of the region.

The game even does this stylish little spin for us.

That desert is right next to an ocean, but it's entirely enclosed by a mountain. That's more thought than most map designers give!

: We live in dark times, my friends. A grave loss has recently befallen us all.

protect his people.

This game has a lot of text and while I'm sure a transcript exists somewhere, I don't care that much. This isn't high art, it's a pulpy pokemon fantasy story.

"As you know."

: They won't rest until the world is remade exactly how they want it to be.

: He saved us.

dead.

The Augur is pretty much the leader of the region. You know all the crap you see Champions up to in mainline pokemon games? The Augur does that here. So what we're seeing is some rando standing up and saying "Hey. Look at me. I'm the Captain now."

: We will stand our ground! We will not let these cultists... these insurgents... split apart ouf families and destroy the place we call home! Long live the Torren Region!

gently caress no! People that would do a challenge run of Pokemon Insurgence are not well. My first run had multiple fights where the only reason I won was because I kept stalling with revives. I'm no competitive battler, but I've been playing these games since they first came out in the US over 20 years ago. This game is really loving hard.

Invoking Arceus as you would a diety is such an awkward way to phrase things.

: If you value your memories at all, you'll listen to what I have to say.

In the grand tradition of pokemon LPs, this is a female protagonist. Her name was picked at random.

Our three choices are "pasty" "anime character" and "slightly tanned." These pictures are also all liars because our character does not, and in fact will never, wear shoes. We will walk through multiple active volcanoes, a marsh, and several snowy fields.

Some searching has turned up that with the 1.2.3 patch that came out more than 2 years ago, the player character decided to forego shoes for whatever dumb reason. Sure, why not?

For what it's worth, we're playing as an anime character with purple hair.

: Thank goodness. You still remember everything!

We're being menaced by a Gengar. :(

: You need to wake up!

: Soon, Dream Eater will rid the prisoner of the last of her memories. Hopefully we'll be done within the hour.

This is Persephone. She's one of the game's many, many, many antagonists, and a particularly annoying one at that.

: Excellent. Finally, we'll have fulfilled our end of the bargain. Good work, you two.

: Will you be attending?

: Very well. I'll see you upstairs, then.

: Kill them, of course. I expect you upstairs within two minutes.

Exeunt Persephone.

: Why are we bothering to wipe their memories if we're just going to kill them anyways?

Persephone is kind of a terrible boss. The "violently psychotic" sort.

: Mew...

This is the only pokemon voice clip in the game. Everything else uses the clips from the real games. Well, kinda. For some reason Chansey uses Fearow's noise... and Charmander's cry plays its second half before its first half.

What I'm getting at is sound isn't this game's strong suit.

Mew chases off the Gengar...

: The Gengar's gone... go. Follow Mew, get out of here, and never look back. Good luck.

We're finally given control! So let's wander around and explore our prison.

The game's a tad buggy. This will sort itself out eventually.

The hallway twists around back on itself. There's a RPG Maker map below.

Items typically show up on the field as the thing they are. So a purple bottle means a regular potion, for instance.

We started in the top left. The potion room is the top right. Our next stop is the bookcase in the bottom middle.

Long story short, there's five cults: Cult of Darkrai, Abyssal Cult, Infernal Cult, Sky Cult, and Perfection. We're being held prisoner by the Cult of Darkrai who, for some reason, worship the Legendary Pokemon of Nightmares.

All the other doors on the floor are locked. So let's just head upstairs...

No point in posting a map. We can only go one place. So let's keep heading up!

the base.

Okay cool. We now have a quest: we need to find some DNA.

:stare: I guess the Cult of Darkrai isn't very hygenic.

Gross. Do you want diseases? Because this is how you get diseases!

So Mew has been following us around. This isn't just because it likes us. Insurgence is like HGSS in that the first pokemon in your party will follow you around on the overworld. You can talk to them and they'll give a cute little text box about whatever it is they're doing. Mew, however, is special in that it can use its special powers.

So let's turn into a smelly cultist and get the hell out of here.

Did I say "get out of here"? I meant "let's steal everything that isn't nailed down."

Well poo poo that didn't last long.

Moving on, let's go down first.

This is the exit. Maybe if we ask really nicely, this religious fanatic will move aside.

Fine.

Also grabbing that potion up above. The positioning for these items is a little finicky. You have to be just above its sprite in order to take it.

More goodies in the toxic waste meeting hall up north.

Up on the next floor is a large pool of Ecto Cooler. We can't get back in here until the very end of the game, but there's actually a Master Ball hidden just out of sight south of where we're standing now. Not being able to get it is a tad frustrating, but it's not like I'd actually use it even if I did have it.

Over to the right here we can find another gathering hall.

I guess Persephone really likes Darkrai?

Also I want to give a shout out to awkward phrasing that makes it sound like all the cults want to summon Darkrai.

"The exports of Kalos are numerous in amount. One thing they export is corn, or as the Native Unovans call it, "maize". Another famous Unovan was Hilda. In conclusion, Kalos is a land of contrasts."

fighting tools.

Isn't this the backstory of that weird immortal that appeared out of nowhere at the end of the plot in XY? Well, whatever. Let's move on.

ones...

That's a lot of cultists.

Seems like Darkrai is on everyone's minds currently. Makes sense.

"Yeah, we ate together at lunch earlier."

This person is not strictly wrong.

I don't get it, but bless your heart regardless.

Is it the stab wounds? I bet it's the stab wounds.

The jerk on the left and middle say the same thing, and we can't talk to the guy on the right because he's past the cutscene trigger zone. So let's watch the sacrifice I guess?

: And so we begin...
: Miss! Please, you can't do this! I don't want to die!

different?

Persephone is a rules lawyer it seems.

: Activate the ritual circle!

: I call upon you to enter our world!

of nightmares forever!

In Insurgence, Legendary pokemon all have a special animation when they appear.

A design appears that I guess somehow relates to the pokemon in question, and their cry can be heard repeatedly.

I'm gonna just put her entire speech in with no commentary. You'll understand why.

immortal.

that day.

Pffhahahahaha. I'd feel bad for laughing at her, but she's so pathetic.

: ... ... ...

The game loves its ellipsis abuse.

: What a waste of a grunt...

: Get out of my way.

Edgy.

Most of the grunts have new dialogue, but it's all some combination of "what went wrong?" or "Wow, Persephone sucks. I wish I wasn't a cultist."

Well, okay. Maybe not that last one.

You can count the number of remaining cultists on two hands. Give it enough time and she'll run out of cannon foder.

Wayyy ahead of you.

This is back near the exit.

How this cult survived this long I'll never know.

Let's get the hell out of here.

The exit to the forest area is just below us. But before I end this update, let's find out what happens if we get into a fight...

Mew is kinda powerful, as it turns out.

I personally wouldn't use Ancient Power, but that's just me not liking moves with only 5PP.

So let's end the update here.

NEXT TIME: We explore the first town and get our starter

DoubleNegative fucked around with this message at 11:22 on Apr 7, 2019

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Draxion posted:

Do you mind if I share some of my experience/thoughts on parts the game (after you get to them obviously, this game is too :allears: to spoil)?

Please, by all means! That's half the fun.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Miliardo posted:

...why do you have over ninety-one hours on your endgame save?

You can knock off a few hours to me leaving it running while I did other stuff, but that was less than 10 total. Another good 6 hours of that was me dicking around in the postgame doing stuff. Pokemon Insurgence is a very, very long game.

:shepicide:

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Hello everyone and welcome back. As you hopefully recall, last time we escaped from the Cult of Darkrai. So let's continue to put the past behind us and move on by entering the game's first town.

: Mew.

I'm not making a portrait for Mew.

Mew hands us a flute and disappears back into whatever nega-zone that legendary pokemon live in.

So how long of a pause is three ellipses? Is it long enough to be awkward? I'd repeat that line about text boxes full of dots indicating flatulence, but that would make the Torren region the most methane-filled place in the pokemon world.

Eighteen dots between two text boxes. That's long enough that most people would have moved on by now.

I get the distinct impression we shouldn't be shouting our partnership with Mew from the rooftops.

Damian is one of our designated rivals for this game. He's a nice boy, but none too bright. Earnest but dumb.

The game doesn't harp on it, but Amy here is an amnesiac. That Gengar ate most of her memories. But it's okay, this is video game amnesia. So she doesn't have any of the actually debilitating side effects commonly associated with memory loss. Indeed, losing her memory has made her into the protagonist of a pokemon game, leaving her the single most competent person in the region by a long shot.

I'd like to think that someone's first reaction to seeing a barefoot little girl stumbling out of the woods with messy hair and wearing a cultist jumpsuit would be to ask questions, not invite her to help clean up the town. Apparently it's a common occurrence.

Now that we have control, we can explore. We'll go into the pokemon center later, but it's over to our left. Story progress is in the building to the right, and there's people to talk to all over.

the one here.

venues.

Bigger pokecenters have multiple floors and let you buy new clothes or change your hair. While playing Pretty Pink Princess Dressup was among my favorite parts of XY and SuMo, this game doesn't do the makeover mechanics well. You're better off installing Saint's Row 2 and playing dressup in that than you are here.

I'll cover this more in depth later when we actually get to the first big pokecenter.

We'll be putting these to good use. So far I've spent a lot of time being down on the game, but one thing I have to give the developers credit for is the selection of wild pokemon available. Official games wish they could be as good as Insurgence is for availability. You could conceivably "catch 'em all" in this game provided you have a high tolerance for bullshit.

The Lake Trio legendaries are locked behind the ultra-hard, postgame, bonus superboss fight against the devs. Their pokemon have hand picked movesets, beneficial natures, useful abilities, perfect IVs, are fully EV trained, and are all the maximum level of 120.

There's absolutely no way in hell I'm doing that.

Another thing I appreciate. This is the only tutorial we're gonna get. The devs are smart enough to realize that if you're playing a pokemon fangame, you understand the basic mechanics enough to not need hand holding.

This old lady likes the Augur.

:crossarms:

I think we're supposed to feel bad for Damian here. However, this is a fangame, its world is dangerous as hell. So his parents are being somewhat reasonable given the circumstances!

Keep on keepin' on, technology dude!

many different things.

It's a mega evolution. Its base stats increase to 498 with 83s flat across the board. If we don't pick Eevee as a starter (there's a choice) then we can't get its mega stone until postgame. We can't breed for one until just before the second gym at the earliest if we get lucky, and all the way until after the 7th gym if we're unlucky.

This lucky break is the Friend Safari feature. However it requires 1) Insurgence's online servers to actually cooperate and not crash the game and 2) a vanishingly miniscule chance on top of that. We will very likely not find an Eeveelution for an extremly long time. As of the time of writing, connecting to the online servers crashes the game 100% of the time.

This nice blue haired fellow gives us some free potions.

type.

like!

They're all competitive teams. One's baton pass, two are weather teams, and the last is a Trick Room team. It's as obnoxious as it sounds.

We probably could go in the lab right now, but I don't know what sort of havoc that will play with scripting. So let's just follow Damian into the town hall instead.

This is the building to the right of the pokecenter.

Wow, rude.

I'm showing this off to point out the upper left corner of the screen. You see that little diskette? That's me mashing the quicksave button. Insurgence's developers, despite having funny ideas about difficulty, are sane human beings who recognize that quality of life improvements don't necessarily "dumb the game down".

So I can mash the quicksave key like a caffeine-addled baboon and be no worse for the wear. We don't have to ever use the save option in the menu. Indeed if we do save manually, the save screen even tells us to not forget about quicksave, and even says how to use it.

Sure the game is ball-bustingly difficult at times, but they ultimately want you to succeed and even give you the tools to do so. I still struggle to call it "good" because there are a lot of questionable decisions along the way, and some of the surprise "gently caress you"s have left me bitter.

For what it's worth, we're no longer a bald alien floating 6 inches behind our hair and clothes.

Anyway, let's move on with the plot.

too.

I believe the correct term is "volunteered," as in "Damian volunteered me to help."

: Oh...

one of the caves in the forest.

Skipping liberally through this section. You're not missing much.

We're being tasked with babysitting Damian. The weird plot about Damian being inept and unable to breathe on his own without being reminded will never come up again. I don't get why it needed to be included in the first place, but sure.

I cut out a bunch of text boxes in that and you still got the gist of what was happening. Insurgence is wordy as gently caress. All you missed was the evil stepmother acting petulant and completely undermining my earlier point about her being somewhat reasonable. (She seriously says "He won't, though." as though she absolutely has to get the last word in.)

Damian's not-mother is no longer speaking with red text and is instead instructing us about local geography. :psyduck:

Do you think all pokemon labs look alike for a reason, or does everyone else just copy Oak's lab from RBY which had a wall of rack-mounted servers separating the front and back halves?

: Listen, Professor... These pokemon... they're freaks.

: Umm... hello?

into the forest safely.

I'm starting to think that Damian's stepmother had a point. This man here is incredibly, nonsensically dangerous and was in the middle of talking about how much bad poo poo he's done in his life. Damian thought that was a perfect opportunity to talk over the adults and be like "HI POKEMON PLZ."

in the wild.

Moving on, the man in the fedora recognizes how to turn the situation to his advantage.

: Put them on the table.

: So you two are in need of a pokemon?
: Yes, ma'am.
: I see.

Damian is definitely the "goodie two shoes" kid. The one that went crying to adults when one of his friends said "heck" or "shoot."

"Delta Species"?

I accidentally press yes.

: Well, I haven't...

Skipping text...

So our choices are a fairy princess, an edgelord, or a ninja squirtle. So guys just bold your choice and...

Nope, just kidding. See, the thing about Delta Types is that they're either really good or really terrible with no middle ground. They use the exact same base stats as the species they're a derivative of. So with Charmander or Bulbasaur that get a lot of special attacks and stats to match, you can coast through the first part of the game.

Delta Squirtle is Dark/Fighting, and there are several trainers with Machops in and around the first route. It's also primarily a special attacker, but now it has two types where the overwhelming majority of moves are physical.

Delta Bulbasaur on the other hand has the exact same typing as Gardevoir. In fact, we can find both a Ralts and a Pancham before the first gym battle. As far as I know, Giratina is the only Ghost/Dragon in existence. Plus, y'know, Charizard is finally getting his due and getting the much coveted dragon type. Even if it does make him a bit overpowered.

We can change names pretty much at will, so my lovely nicknames don't really matter in the long run.

Dracolich has 2 levels on Squirtle, but we don't have any supereffective moves.

Squirtle does, and is not shy about using them. We start off at a disadvantage, but it's not insurmountable.

Twister has a chance to make opponents flinch, so that's what wins us the fight.

Gym someday?

Damian runs out.

: Amy, can I talk to you for a moment?

Alright, that's enough for now. This update has drug on longer than I thought it would.

NEXT TIME: We start catching some stuff and grind on wild encounters in the forest.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Future updates won't be put out nearly as quickly as these first couple will be. I just want to get things rolling and get into the actual meat of the game.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Ryushikaze posted:

Does Purity mode do anything other than disable the deltas?

The game also adds some custom mega evolutions (like Eevee's that I mentioned). Purity mode also disables those. According to the Insurgence wiki, purity mode is kinda buggy and it doesn't always work 100% right in the late-game.

quote:

Note that there are certain errors made especially throughout the later game where Deltas and/or Mega Stones are not properly replaced.

Conceptually the Deltas are all really cool. I just wish more of them either had better movesets or the stats to use the moves they get.

EDIT: Oh right forgot to mention... If you select Eevee as a starter, Damian also gets one.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Hello everyone and welcome back. Today's update is gonna be a highlight reel of sorts, just covering the annoying process of early-game level grinding.

First up, the pokecenter.

Pokemall?

This NPC appears in every pokecenter in the game, but she's specifically talking about the larger ones. Malls are the centers with second floors and the ability to buy clothes.

Nurse Joy is here as well.

Suntouched City.

Suntouched City is the place with the first gym. We'll get there in... oh... five-ten-twelve hours? The first gym is approximately level 25.

Oh how I wish I could open this door. How I dearly, dearly wish it. We are going to have so much fun when we get past the first gym.

This old man is a nickname expert. He appears in literally every pokecenter. Changing nicknames is zero problem in Insurgence!

Same story with this gentleman down here. His services really aren't required, but we'll get into that when the time comes. Suffice it to say there are some things I really wish the mainline games would copy from Insurgence.

The other lady behind the counter is the pokemart clerk. Her selection expands as we get new badges, so it'll suck for a while, expand really aggressively, and then never expand again after like the 5th gym. It's a weird system, but on the upside we get access to Hyper Potions after the second gym! :confuoot:

The 3rd gym leader is around level 50. I'm not kidding. The level curve in the first part is really loving weird.

Lots of free potions to be found in Telnor town.

Those tree stumps are mysteriously gone now that we have an undead abomination.

This is cool, I guess. It doesn't work real good, but I guess it's there if we need it? Its interface is the only place in the game where we need to use the mouse cursor to click on something.

Shade Forest has a pretty decent selection of early-game pokemon.

We probably won't be using it very long, but the Nidos are a pretty decent choice for an early game companion.

It uses the... uh... RSE and ORAS pokedex entry according to Bulbapedia.

She joins the team with the name Blueberry.

Dracolich got poisoned during the fight to capture Blueberry, which means she has poison point as an ability. Insurgence is thankfully one of those games that lets poison wear off once you're out of battle and the afflicted pokemon is down to 1 HP.

Naturally the first step we take after Dracolich survives his poisoning, we get into a fight.

After a quick trip back to the center, we're freshly healed up and ready to take on the world. Let's start with this hiker. That border around the screen is something to show us that we're near a trainer we haven't yet fought.

This Machop is a bit outmatched. I don't think it can even hit Dracolich.

It's not even worth showing the battle because all that happens is it keeps using Leer for lack of anything else that can even hit our ghost dragon.

And now that Dracolich is level 8, let's proceed to not use it in favor of leveling up Blueberry.

The downside of this being the first route in the game is that level 3 is a pretty low level to catch something at. So Blueberry is gonna struggle against most things until she catches up. This is two scratches on the enemy Nido vs one peck boosted by Leer.

The early parts of Insurgence are really tedious.

Blueberry has trouble holding her own against a Caterpie. She can barely them while their tackles somehow wreck her.

This kinda explains why. It turns out that our little physical attacker has kinda terrible IVs. Yes, Insurgence surfaces them in plain sight for some uknown reason. I think it's just to drive me crazy because I'm the sort of person that kinda thing bothers.

It's kinda sad when I have to swap out Blueberry against a Caterpie of all things.

Gastlys pop up distressingly frequently and they fuckin love to put a freshly healed Blueberry to sleep. The pokemart doesn't sell Awakenings, so I have to keep running back to the center to get it removed. I'd catch one, but I don't need two ghost types on my team and Dracolich ain't going anywhere.

Blueberry eventually comes into her own. It's just not during these godawful super early levels.

Though this does give me a nice chance to show off this handy little quality of life feature that the main games need to steal. Being able to see stat increases/decreases at a glance is so nice.

Even if enemy female Nidorans are way too quick to spam Growl. 0.25x , by the way, is as low as a stat can go. 4.0x is, conversely, as high as it can raise.

Don't worry, I won't be showing every level up that we get. With as many levels as you need to grind to stay current in this game, I could fill entire updates with nothing but level ups.

Skipping ahead a couple levels, Blueberry learns a stat decreasing move I will probably never use.

I also take this time to turn off battle animations to save my sanity.

Blueberry hits level 8 and I grab a Caterpie to join the team. Say hello to Boris!

Boris has some good potential, and a Butterfree might make a good early game addition to the team.

Boris' counterpart shows up as well.

Beedrill would also make a really good addition to the team, even if the nickname is terrible. If you guys want to suggest different ones, please do. It's no trouble to change them.

Janine will hopefully be sticking around for a while. Good electric types early on are surprisingly rare. We'll find a Blitzle in a future route and that's about it for a while.

Janine, by the way, has the static ability. So she should be a big help in catching stuff in the future.

Patrat is the last encounter in Shade Forest. I pass this one by because I'm not a smart person.

Finally, in a wild double battle, Boris hits level 7.

Unfortunately, even evolved, he's not very good. He lacks a STAB ability and has to rely on Tackle to get the job done. Boris is sadly not going to be on the team long enough to become a Butterfree because he's too weak for the first route in the game. Even fighting things multiple levels his junior, he can't get the job done and switching out would draw the leveling process out for too long.

So I'm forced to bench Boris on the basis of "wow you suck and not a little bit."

Janine is several levels lower than Boris and kicks 10,000 times more rear end. Why? Because she gets a STAB move from the get-go.

Whoops. While out patrolling the grass, I accidentally wander in front of this gentleman.

Kakuna can harden all it likes. Raising physical defense don't do poo poo against thunder shock.

The fact that this would have been easy pickings for Boris only just now occurred to me. 168 is a lot of XP to get in one go.

An attack lowering ability without an accuracy check doesn't sound extremely useful.

Another challenger!

Patrat took out 12 HP in one shot with a tackle.

Gravy marches into the fight...

I call this a good trade. Sure Gravy lost most of his HP, but he also poisoned the foe... and the bites it before he can act again.

Blueberry switches into a Patrat that falls over from poisoning. The little bastard just swept half my team.

Blueberry learns a fighting move, though!

Realistically you can't get a Pidove until after the Elite Four. It technically can be caught in a Friend Safari. But you have to 1) have a friend that has Normal or Flying type safari and 2) have Pidove as one of the 3 pokemon they get in their Safari. That's not very likely. Tranquill can't be found at all, and Unfezant isn't available until postgame routes.

Blueberry double kicks it to death as revenge for what the Patrat did. I told you she'd come into her own!

I want to catch another Nido, but this one has the audacity to break out of my last pokeball. So now I have to buy more.

Ten should be enough to guarantee a catch!

This was meant to be. First encounter when we go back out was another male Nidoran who decided to tackle Janine and get himself paralyzed for his trouble.

The name is only fair.

Decent potential and an interesting ability, too!

Finally tracked one down!

Because there's a few I want to catch and use in the cave we're supposed to go to, I stick Gravy and Strawberry in the box for the time being.

Gen 5 is the generation I have the least experience with. I never played Black or White, never met Team Plasma or N or Ghetsis or any of them, and I barely played BW2. All that preamble is to say I've never used a Patrat before. :catstare:, the pokemon has decent potential and an ability I will be abusing like crazy. Also she gets STAB on normal type moves, so she'll be able to abuse the hell out of Return whenever we get that.

At level6, :stare: learns Bite.

Finally once everyone is level 8, let's explore more of the forest.

This blue haired lady is guarding the exit.

Roselia is kinda tough at this level. She still goes down like a sack of bricks because Staaaaares is really good.

One last trainer in the forest, and it's this juggler.

Take a guess how it goes.

Strangely, I remember this guy being a bastard to fight in my first playthrough. He actually beat my team then, though I think they were underleveled at the time.

At any rate, he's not even a speed bump this time.

The Insurgence wiki says there's more trainers in here, but I can't find them. So let's just move on to the next area.

We'll cover the cave more next time. But let's dip in here real quick to grab a few specific things...

Here's one of them now... Ground/Psychic is an odd combination, but provides some nice coverage.

This is just a placeholder because I'm not creative.

Oh how I wish I could get that... That's Bulk Up, and I know several members of the team that could put that to very good use.

Nosepass is a nice rock type, but not what I'm looking for.

THIS is what I was looking for!

Rock is a good coverage type to have.

I don't bother to nickname it, however. So that's where you all come in! You can suggest nicknames for anything I've caught. If you want, you can also suggest that I use different pokemon on the team.

We've already seen everything in Shade Forest, but if you need a refresher we can find...

Caterpie
Weedle
Pikachu
Nidoran M/F
Gastly
Patrat

and in Telnor Cave we can find...

Diglett
Geodude
Onix
Cubone
Nosepass
Baltoy
Roggenrola

Suggestions are always open, but I'm gonna need a thoughtful reason behind your choices! It doesn't have to be an essay, just a sentence or two explaining why you want me to use something or show it off.

If you don't care, then that's fine with me. I'll just keep using whatever catches my short attention span and give things whatever godawful names come to mind.

NEXT TIME: We explore Telnor Cave; plot shenanigans follow

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Now that we're actually in the game proper and catching things, updates are settling on a twice-a-week schedule: Tuesdays and Fridays.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Draxion posted:

DoubleNegative, I've heard the friend base server has been having issues, but when it isn't it's worth noting that you don't actually have to have people on your friends list to go to their safari, just know their name. The Insurgence wiki has a page that gives a name that'll get you each pokemon in the Friend Safari, so it's a little easier than it seems.

That's actually good to know. I never messed with it any because the servers have never worked for as long as I've been playing.

Anyway, the first gym is actually kinda easy... well, for Insurgence. Every gym has a gimmick, but the first's isn't too awful. It wouldn't be entirely out of place for a mid-game gym in any other game. Really, looking back over the game, none of the gyms were particularly hard... with one exception I can hardly wait to show off. The rival battles, the cultist battles, and other such major plot fights were always much harder than the gyms. But that's getting way ahead of myself!

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Recording more of the game now. There's a good chance I won't be able to fulfill the request for Onix. A catch rate of 45 and a stupidly low encounter chance does not a good combination make. Sorry. :(

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Psycho Knight posted:

I thought of this in the Reborn thread. DoubleNegative, how is this game running for you? I remember this game somehow pushing my laptop's temperature up by a lot. It wasn't a great laptop, but it could run stuff like L4D and Civ 5. Just curious what kind of resources this is demanding.

While I haven't really looked to see how much memory this thing uses, I haven't noticed any slowdown. Usually I play with Chrome open so I can keep one finger on the wiki and it's been smooth so far. Metchi Town is the only exception. For some reason it runs sluggish there with any sort of speedup applied.

I'm also playing on a dedicated games PC though, so I may not be the best person to ask.

Miss posted:

This game is powerfully stupid

i love it

This is absolutely adorable. :3:

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Hello everyone and welcome back. Today we're starting off with a request. 10 characters isn't a lot to try to name the Baltoy HarryPottery but I got pretty close.

And while running around, I find the object of another request. I remember using an Onix in my HeartGold run and it kicked 20 kinds of rear end there.

HaryPotery can even smack it around thanks to Mud Slap.

Unfortunately here's where we run into a problem. Y'see, at full health Onix has an inexplicably low catch rate: 45 out of 255. Even with its health reduced to the red zone, it's still way too low to reliably catch with pokeballs. So very quickly this...

Becomes this. Take a wild guess how that goes.

That's not a glitch in the gif. That's the approximate point where the game "mysteriously reset" after my finger "accidentally pressed" the reset key.

So after that "mysterious crash" after I wasted $1800 worth of pokeballs, we're back in the cave ready to continue the hunt for an Onix.

Instead we find a Cubone...

This also reminds me that I haven't shown off Delta Charmander's dex entry. He's not #004, though. So we have to search for him instead.

The Insurgence pokedex has this neat little search function. So if we want to find Delta Charmander, all we gotta do is just do a name search.

Regardless of its delta status, Dracolich is still a Charmander first and foremost. So we just need to look for ABC.

We can also apply other criteria, but this should be sufficient.

No wonder we couldn't find it! Primarina? Never heard of it! #730 is obviously Delta Charmander.

Expect to see a lot of usernames in the Delta pokedex entries. Most of them are developer usernames, but there's also some other names in there as well. Apparently way back when this was still in active development, the dev team asked for deltas to put in, and the best responses got added to the game.

Don't ask me why I'm catching so many pokemon. Just 'cause I can I guess. :shrug:

In between battles it also occurs to me to show off the dexnav. You have to press the D key to activate it and then use the mouse pointer to actually click on the option you want.

We can search for pokemon we've already caught, but I've never had this work properly at all. Every time I tried, it just searched and went "IDK lol".

We can also open the regional map, connect to the broken online servers, and the last option lets us get into a trainer battle at will.

There are a lot of trainers in here. Most of them have teams way beyond what we can hope to fight at the moment. Some of them are apparently good to grind on if you need money. But fighting the same battle over and over for a pittance doesn't sound very fun. In fact it sounds kinda tedious. I'm probably never going to use this.

There will come a point where level grinding will cease to be a thing we need to do. It's a long way off, though. It's not completely out of sight, but it's still a distant speck on the horizon all the same.

Good to see Joey is still around after all these years. I hope his Rattata is still in the top percentile.

Moving on! Still catching stuff...

There are some really good pokemon in here. So we'll have lots of options by the time I'm done!

In fact, let's restock in case we run into another Onix. (Spoilers: we won't)

I suppose we should also press deeper into the cave and try to progress the story a little. I believe at this point we've pretty much run out of new things to catch in here until we get the ability to fish... or to surf. Or unless an Onix deigns to show its 5% encounter rate rear.

A common theme we'll find in this game is that the trainers are utterly insane. They're completely detached from reality as we know it.

Machop can't even hit Dracolich, so this fight is extremely one sided.

He tries to be clever but...

Twister is kind of a really good move. 40 BP + STAB bonus = 60 power. Some might say that picking the dragon type starter was easy mode. Meh. Insurgence is really hard anyway, so I'll take whatever kindnesses I can get.

Also this is a trash trainer who spends the entire battle making his Geodude as fast as greased lightning, probably because Geodude doesn't have anything that isn't Tackle.

Dracolich hits 10 and learns such a fun, mean move. I will not feel bad about using this as much as I possibly can.

:psyduck: Is he mad that I wouldn't let him get a hit in?

Jumping ahead a bit, HaryPotery learns Heal Block. I can imagine more than a few fights later on where this would be extremely useful. Also it replaces Harden, so it's not like I'm really missing out on anything.

If it feels like I'm jumping around a lot... it's because I am. The only thing you're missing is a bunch of wild pokemon being KOed for quick experience so my team can reach an arbitrary level.

Also now that we have Gastly, the only pokemon from the first two routes we don't have is Onix. We can catch him later on anyway, so I'm not too worried. I should also mention that none of these new friends have nicknames. They'll get one if I ever use them.

Another level and I think Janine is finally ready for the big time. Quick Attack is a much better use of a slot than one of her stat reducing moves... especially Tail Whip. Yes, the irony of deleting the defense decreasing move in order to learn a physical attack isn't lost on me.

Now that Janine is 10, we technically don't have to level grind anymore. The rest of the team will be there just in case she goes down. So let's move on.

These ladders are very particular. For whatever reason, they're programmed to only work from the front and every other direction is just a block.

Telnor Cave is a very basic cave. The first floor is very straightforward, and the floor below that is extremely linear, it just doubles back on itself after you reach the far end. The only notable detour on the path is for that pokeball up above.

Do you see this wall? gently caress this wall. There are a handful of things I didn't do in my endgame save because of the tedium involved. One of them was getting the ability to unlock walls like this. The ability to do so is locked behind a game-spanning sidequest we can't even start until after the second gym. We have to complete a series of 15-tile sliding puzzles all across the game, including two areas we can't access until after the Elite Four.

What is the reward for doing all that rigamarole and jumping through all those hoops? In this case, a Diglett. A Delta Diglett.

Meet Delta Diglett. It's Normal/Ice type. It evolves into Delta Dugtrio at level 26. This thing comes at level 50, unfortunately. Its three abilities are: Snow Cloak (lowers enemy accuracy in hail), Ice Cleats (doubles speed in hail), and Fur Cloak (hidden; doubles defense/cuts physical attack damage in half).

It is also seriously adorable in a doofy way. I love it. :3:

Anyway, if we come back here for the Diglett, it will not be for an extremely very obnoxiously long time. So let's just move on.

There's only two trainers in the cave, and this is the second one.

N-no? What is he even insinuating here?

I used a Tyrogue for the very first time in my first run of this game. I was not pleased when I learned how useless it is when it evolves. The Hitmons are more or less the face of the fighting type in these games, but someone at The Pokemon Company needs a good smack for how they designed their level up movesets.

My Tyrogue turned into a Hitmonlee at 20. I then learned the hard way that the Hitmons don't learn fighting moves at evolution. The first actual damaging move Hitmonlee learns is at 29. Insurgence, you see, uses the Gen VI movesets.

Take a look for yourself. It's a pretty dire situation. Look at all those wonderful moves that Hitmonlee learns before it evolves. So in order to actually make use of your nice new fighting type, you have to either farm Heart Scales or use Tackle for 9 more levels.

gently caress.

Heart.

Scales.

When the appropriate time comes, I'm going to hack this game's code apart and I will buy a lifetime supply of Heart Scales. I did it in my first run and I'm gonna do it here too. It'll make everyone's life a lot better that way.

Anyway, now that we've beaten this joker we can continue on.

I'm sure there's hidden items down here, but it's nothing we can't live without. (Yes I know the wiki has a list of them.)

If for whatever reason you want to continue level grinding, don't go up this ladder as it will lock you into a story section for the next little bit. We're done with grinding for now, so let's see what the story is all about.

Damian is kind of a jerk.

There's two stones up here, and one is a lot more useful than the other.

Don't quote me on this, but I'm pretty sure the blue one is the leader of the Abyssal Cult. There's a lot of similarities, but it could just be a coincidence. The red one, as far as I know, is just some random Infernal Cult jerk. Yes, the Abyssal Cult and Infernal Cult are Team Aqua and Team Magma with the serial numbers filed off. For all the points I'll give Insurgence, retreading ground already walked by RSE/ORAS is a mite annoying.

spread about himself.

The devs really missed something by not having the Infernal Cult guy speak with red text. :cmon: It would have been a nice little subtle thing.

Jaern is spreading William Wallace style propaganda about himself.

Someone in the thread wondered what cult Jaern is the head of. I'm gonna guess it's the cult of personality.

Let's get going.

: Amy...

Augur when he comes to Telnor Town!

Mercifully the game fades out and then drops you off back in Telnor Town.

five minutes ago!

Jaern can probably hold his own for 30 more seconds while I heal up.

And then put Janine at the front of my party for no particular reason.

:3:

Country bumpkins being impressed by a Salamence like you can't find them all over the skies later on when you unlock Soaring.

: What might your name be, young one?
: Umm, my name's Damian... and this is Amy...

Damian is about as subtle as a sledgehammer to the knee.

You'll be punished for this!

Naturally the adults don't believe him.

The cultists, unfortunately, are really loving dumb. All they had to do was lay low and let Damian be chased off by public shame. Instead they jump straight to action.

You have to give Damian credit. He's got balls of solid brass.

Amy, to her credit, jumps straight to action as well.

This is the last time that the weaponry will ever be brought up.

Blah blah blah. Damian is suicidally determined to protect the strongest trainer in the region. The cultists are full of bravado. I'm sure you can imagine how the parts I'm leaving out go.

We get the water cultist.

A level 12 Skrelp is "the strongest of pokemon". :what:

Skrelp tanks Janine's shocks pretty well, I'll give it that.

Two seahorses that become dragons has potential, but these guys are at way too low of a level to be effective. These jerks are so below Jaern's notice that it's not even funny.

Sorelosersasywhat?

don't see a bright future for you.

: ...did you just kill them?

would do.

: If you ever pass through Helios City, why not stop by?

He seems nice.

: ...I think so.

the case.

Trainer School!

I'm curious what we just did if it wasn't battling.

Let's just skip through to the end of the cave. There's nothing new to see until then.

I lied. I just remembered this happened. At this low level, Nosepass know the move "Block" and unfortunately...

Roggenrola is too slow to escape from the red nosed moai statue on the first turn.

Nosepass started using Harden, so I started using Harden too.

This fight drug on for way too long. Headbutt ran out of PP and I was reduced to using Tackle. Even with its impressive 50 power, the Nosepass has maxed out defense from all the Hardens. Plus rock resists Normal, so Tackle was working with 25 BP before the defense increases were even applied. The point is, Roggenrola just gently poked a Nosepass to death 1HP at a time.

This Nosepass put up more of a fight than that Abyssal cultist did.

He earned every bit of that XP.

And now we're back here where we saw the cultists.

This was surprisingly fiddly to find. Anyway, this is what Damian wanted to give to Jaern. I give it to Roggenrola for whenever he eventually learns a rock move.

Route 1 is just on the other side of this exit. I'm gonna skip over it now and rush to the next town. You can dodge every trainer if you do it just right. I'll cover fighting them in the next update.

Route 1 is kind of a spiral. We come in the bottom and the exit is in the top left.

Pausing here in the bottom left to grab a hidden item.

One of these is over in the bottom right corner.

I missed it at the time, but there's an item hidden back at the start. It's just behind one of the trees. We'll get it later.

This kinda annoys me. You leave Route 1 by going up and you enter Midna Town by coming down from above. If you aren't paying attention when you walk between them, you'll be going nowhere fast.

Anyway, that's enough for now. Now that we're in a new location, it's time to cover the new pokemon available to catch!

Midna Town is connected to three new areas: Route 1, the Dark Cave (it's the cave in the route 1 map), and Midna Mine. All three are open to us to explore and all three have new pokemon to pick up. So let's go down the list...

Route 1
Meowth
Ponyta
Hoppip
Blitzle
Bunnelby

Dark Cave
Zubat
Abra
Geodude
Poochyena
Purrloin

Midna Garden* (behind Dark Cave)
This is special because we can only get 1 of the 4 available here at a time, and it has a 12 hour cooldown between spawns. Luckily you can savescum it.

Exeggcute
Stunky
Heatmor
Durant

Midna Town
Gastly (Trade a Durant)
Elekid (Trade any bug type)
Rotom (Chance from any TV)

Midna Mine
Zubat
Shuckle
Phanpy
Nosepass
Woobat
Drilbur

Smashing Rocks In Midna Mine
Geodude (33%)
Shuckle (8.5%)
Nosepass (16.5%)
Roggenrola (25%)
Dwebble (8.5%)
Carbink (8.5%)

All those pokemon are available from areas in and around Midna town. So as before, if anyone has anything they'd like to see, you know what to do!

NEXT TIME: Exploring Midna Town, conquering Route 1, and more!

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Ace of Aces posted:

Actually, how does this handle trade evolutions? The terrible online servers, or does it have an in-game way to bypass them?

Helios City has a method to facilitate trade evolutions. Its department store even sells all the trade evo items!

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

:staredog:

I don't think I'm going to use a Meowth now...

Crosspeice posted:

Are you able to change Rotom's forms this early as well, cause that's a pretty strong Pokemon with fantastic coverage if so.

Can't wait for you to start obtaining late game Gen 5 and 6 Pokemon that need 50 levels to evolve. Which sounds like the midgame for this hack.

Can't change Rotom forms until the mid-late game, sadly.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Just finished recording 2 and a half hours of footage. If I'm lucky it might make two whole updates! Images below related!

DoubleNegative fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Oct 5, 2018

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Hello everyone and welcome back. Let's get started by exploring Midna Town!

Midna Town has 4 major areas connected to it: Route 1 to the southeast, Route 2 to the southwest, Narra Border to the north, and Midna Mine next to the large building with the green roof.

At the moment we can only go to Midna Mine and Route 1. Route 2 is blocked by some kid who won't let us pass, and Narra Border is full of level 60-70 fossil pokemon. Also it's blocked off by some one-way ledges and a Rock Climb wall.

The races are pretty fun whenever we get over to them.

This first house has an extremely bad deal. If you want a Gastly, go back to Shade Forest and catch one, don't trade something amazing for it.

discovered the Dark- and Steel-types!

Random townie NPCs aren't the best conversationalists in the world.

Free great ball upstairs. :toot:

Must be a coincidence!

Propaganda seems to be Jaern's strong suit.

Building on my earlier point, random townies break the fourth wall constantly and discuss meta-game information. This isn't even the worst offense in town!

Region!

Gym leader and ruler of the region! Sounds like the first Augur was quite a fellow!

Please don't call attention to this without offering an explanation. Just bringing it up isn't humor, it's just highlighting the inherent absurdity of the pokemon world. It's like making an NPC in a D&D-based game going "Well where's the SCIENCE behind magic?"

Also yadda yadda pokedex written by 11 year olds that have been drinking pixy stix. We get it.

Upstairs from the master of observational humor we find someone offering a really good trade. This is the only Elekid in the game, and Electibuzz can only be found in Friend Safaris. If you need a good electric type (hint, you do) then this is an amazing opportunity.

Pictured: the fourth wall.

Upstairs from the man discussing Unown's stats, we can steal a disposable power increase from one.

And this nice old lady in the same room is willing to give us one free evolution stone. I pick Thunder because I might want to evolve Janine at some point.

Trying to leave town to Route 2 has this kid refuse to let us pass because he can't do his job. Kid just let me step outside. I promise to come right back. There's a fisherman with an Old Rod to give away right there.

:mad:

We can't get past him until we finish the story stuff here in town. Probably just as well, because there's trainers out there with stuff that's level 15-17. It's nothing we want to mess with just yet.

All the kids in town are excited about an upcoming tournament at the school.

Speaking of which... this is that school!

We can steal this Floatzel's free healing in another house.

:getin: We will be taking full advantage of this Broadcast Tower as soon as we can get there. Ohhh yes indeed.

You, sir, are a liar and liars burn in Hell.

moves.

Only one person to talk to in the pokecenter. This will be the start of a running theme when discussing Helios city.

Let's watch some TV to pass the time.

Starting in Midna Town and going for the entire rest of the game, you can randomly find a Rotom when you watch TV. They're available in infinite supply, but in order to keep things fair, they scale to the highest level in your party.

Probably not going to use it, but never hurts to catch it. You can't change Rotom's forms until the mid-late game. You actually need the 5th gym badge in order to access the area where you can do so.

Unfortunately, this marks the end of the interesting bit (for me) because the next 2 hours 16 minutes and 23 seconds of footage I have are level grinding. You get to skip over it and I get to develop carpal tunnel from mashing the "skip 25 frames forward" button for 4 straight hours.

Oh right. Up to the north of town, on that dirt path you no doubt saw on the full map, is this pikachu taxi.

free!

This guy will appear in every town in the game except for Telnor Town. He replaces Fly as a utility move. The HM is in the game somewhere, but why would you even bother if you have this guy? You only need to spend $7,500 in order to get the free pass. (500 x 15 = 7500)

I mentioned this before, but the Insurgence devs added lots of nice little quality of life features to the game. The only two HMs in the game are Fly and Surf, and you get both long, long after you've found another method to do the exact same thing.

You can shuffle large boulders around with the following moves:

Bulldoze
Steamroller
Ominous Wind
Icy Wind
Giga Impact
Slam
Whirlwind
Rock Throw
Heavy Slam
Barrage
Psychic
Headbutt.

You can also smash rocks with, according to the wiki, any fighting-type move. So Blueberry that knows Double Kick? She can smash rocks. But wait! It gets better! When you smash rocks, not only can you find any of those pokemon I listed in the previous update (all scaled to your team's level), but you can also get the following items:

Hard Stone (18%)
Soft Sand (14.5%)
Pearl (14.5%)
Heart Scale (11%)
Helix Fossil (3.5%) (Omanyte)
Dome Fossil (3.5%) (Kabuto)
Old Amber (3.5%) (Aerodactyl)
Root Fossil (3.5%) (Lileep)
Claw Fossil (3.5%) (Anorith)
Skull Fossil (3.5%) (Cranidos)
Armor Fossil (3.5%) (Shieldon)
Cover Fossil (3.5%) (Tirtouga)
Plume Fossil (3.5%) (Archen)
Jaw Fossil (3.5%) (Tyrunt)
Sail Fossil (3.5%) (Amaura)
IV Stone (3.5%) (Lets you set one IV of one pokemon to 31)

It will be a little bit before we can resurrect any fossils we might find, but it's not as long as you might think.

Anyway, all the other HM moves (Surf, Dive, Waterfall, Rock Climb, Flash) are replaced by key items that we get throughout the story. There is no Cut item OR move and I am eternally grateful to the devs for that fact.

For our next stop, let's actually head into the school.

The teacher is looking for somebody.

The locals are quite rude.

The teacher obviously isn't teaching, and yet Damian is just sitting in a seat staring at the front of the room. There isn't even a blackboard up there.

Yoink.

The front of the room has a small table that looks like a trainer battle arena.

Sure.

This is the business we can't leave Midna town without finishing. Once we wrap up the tournament arc, we'll be free to move on with our lives.

Okay we have a set of goals now: find Nora, then win a tournament. Also somewhere in there is "get our team more XP".

Well, no points in guessing where we'll find Nora. So let's start preparing!

First up is a Phanpy.

I might use her in the future. Good ground types are always welcome!

No map of the area yet. I'll show them when we actually progress through here in earnest. Until then it's a lot of running around.

Naturally no cave is complete without local jerks standing around waiting for battle.

Even wounded, HaryPotery should be more than a match for this Timburr.

Given he's an Ace Trainer, you'd think he'd have been pressing his HP advantage and kept using Low Kick. :shrug:

Why does it always seem like Blueberry is being drawn into extended "lower the enemy's stats" fights? Oh well, that was the only notable thing that happened in the fight.

Approximately 35 Phanpys and Nosepasses later...

You guys seriously have no idea how many Phanpys there are in this cave. How many fights I've cut out while searching for requested teammates. They're like Zubats in Mt. Moon.

Artix is going to be a valued member of the team. Look at those stats at level 10!

Even her potential is amazing.

Morocco mole isn't too terrible, though I bet he could be a pretty nasty Earthquake sweeper with the Sandstorm move.

This moveset is dire, though. Tackle or even Scratch would be so much better than Rapid Spin and Fury Swipes. I much prefer moves with 100 Accuracy and slightly lower power than the showstoppers with terrible accuracy. There's a fight I'll skip over later on where Morocco here uses 12 of the 15 charges on Fury Swipes to take out something 3 levels lower than he is. Thinking back, I'm not even sure he's ultimately successful.

The trainers in Midna Mine are pretty nasty. Route 1's offerings might be more our speed...

Let's give Artix a chance to strut her stuff. Well, as much as a rock-bound worm creature can strut.

I've never used a Shuckle before, but given this moveset I can work out what I need to do.

By the way I really want to complain about the UI design here. Take a wild guess which move is selected here. It's -------Wrap. Look closely. All the moves are normally dark colored, and the selection box is ever-so-slightly lighter.

:getin: We are now officially Whitney, except our Miltank is a nigh-indestructable rock worm!

Who gets a bunch of defense and sp. def per level! :swoon:

What's funny is, by the end of this update she won't even be the most broken thing on our team by a long shot.

The bug catcher boy can't stop the Rollout train.

so I'll always win!

Rich Kid class trainers can't stop talking about how much money they have. Most of them repeat a variant on this claim.

Porygon is one of those pokemon that I never quite know how to handle. I mean, here it's just gonna fall to the unrelenting march of Artix's rollout. But just in general.

Struggle Bug replaces Bide, by the way. A 50 power STAB move that lets us clown on Grass, Dark, and Psychic types all day? Yes please! Don't forget, Insurgence uses Gen VI numbers and movesets. Bug types are not only good, but downright amazing.

His last 'mon was a Buizel. You can find those in Midna Town by fishing... or surfing. I forget which. Point is, it's not hard to find.

We will be back for this trade. We'll be able to catch wild Totodile in the grass on Route 2, and this trade gets us access to the first Fairy-type (that isn't fey Bulbasaur) that we can find for a while yet.

This Hiker's rarest pokemon is a Delta Dwebble (Cake). It's the same level as the Totodile we'll eventually trade over. It's a Fairy/Normal type, and its 3 abilities are Scrappy (Normal and Fighting moves can damage Ghost types), Own Tempo (No confusion), and Simple (Stat changes are doubled).

It's actually not the only Delta Dwebble in the game. There's another in the postgame with a different typing and appearance. I'll cover it much, much later.

This is Dark Cave. It's surprisingly not dark. It's just a room with a giant pond in the middle. This is probably the best grinding spot in the area. You'll see why in a second.

But first...

Zucchini the Abra will join our team in a while.

Just through the door on the other end of the Dark Cave is Midna Garden. This is a cute little hangout spot with some friendly people.

It's visible in this screenshot. Can you spot it before I blatantly point it out?

This kid is talking about the tournaments at the trainer school. Once we find Nora, it sounds like we'll have quite the fight on our hands. Good. I'm looking forward to it!

Nurse Joy here is the reason why Dark Cave is the best grinding spot near Midna Town. It takes next to no time to pop in for a quick heal and then back out for more leveling.

Time's up! The hidden grotto is right in front of Amy. You can juuust see the little shadow between the trees. Usually these things have rare pokemon or items inside. Each one has a different list of what items can show up, but we're never going to be interested in those. Instead, we're after the pokemon! In this case, multiple people asked for a Durant. So just gonna quicksave and then start praying...

Heatmor...

Exeggcute...

An item...

Stunky...

You know what, let me just start keeping track.

Heatmor: IIIII I
Exeggcute: III
Stunky: III
Item: IIIII I

loving desire sensor. Count 'em up above. This is the 19th reset. If I'd been doing this legit and just coming back once every 12 hours, this would have taken 9 and a half real time days. This would be noon next Saturday.

It's all worth it, though. Durant is something special. It originally wasn't available until apparently Victory Road in BW.

Look at that BST. This fucker is stronger than the entire rest of the team by a wide margin. It's functionally a fully evolved pokemon and we have it at level 10. Sure it falls over to a spark from a bonfire, but... ahahahahahah.

It's completely immune to poison, it gets STAB bug and steel moves, and it learns dark type attacks by level up.

Welcome to the team duranduran.

Potential isn't great, but at least there aren't any zeroes. It also has arguably the more useful ability.

Team makeup has changed too. The Roggenrola and Blueberry were benched in favor of Morocco and duranduran. At the time my thinking was that I was already going to be doing enough grinding and that Zucchini was going to be actual dead weight until 16, which was approximately where I planned on stopping anyway.

I also think that's a pretty good spot to stop for now.

NEXT TIME: Getting everyone to 16, finding Nora, and the Midna Trainer School Tournament!

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Miss posted:

im in love...

:aaaaa: This is so adorable! I've added both this and your Charmander to the OP.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Dareon posted:

As for the grinding problem, I'm assuming this is a Pokemon Essentials game, so you can just edit the first shop to sell cheap Rare Candy.

Grinding will only be a problem for a handful of more updates. Within a few weeks we'll be past the worst of it.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Unfortunately, the guy that lets you change a pokemon's ability to a hidden one is a postgame thing. With two, possibly three major exceptions, the postgame is incredibly easy. So the only thing to use the crabcake on would be the countless trash trainers populating the postgame routes, refighting the Elite Four, or fighting the dev team. Neither of those last two sound like particularly fun ideas.

Also...

:3:

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Hello everyone and welcome back. When we left off, we hadn't yet actually started the level grinding. So let's get to that, yeah?

For posterity's sake, here's duranduran before we start.

Because of Durant's high BST, let's throw him into the deep end, so to speak.

Getting lost on a linear path is impressive.

Our opponent is an Exeggcute and... welp, this is gonna be one-sided. Fury Cutter is basically Rollout, But Bug Type as I understand it. It starts at 40BP and that number doubles every time it's used, up to a cap of 160. This is solely going off what Bulbapedia says, which probably isn't the smartest choice. But there's no solid math on how it works anywhere. There's an unsubstantiated claim on pokemondb that backs up Bulbapedia's assertion.

If it's true, then on the fourth turn Fury Cutter has 160BP + STAB. If you do the math, that's a pretty big number.

This is the only thing of note that happened in the fight. duranduran is kinda really good.

Sand Attack is traded in for Bite. I'm gonna keep duranduran around for a while I think, just because of how much he counters. Between dark, bug, and steel moves he can gently caress up Ghost, Psychic, Grass, Dark, Rock, Ice, and Fairy types.

Whiting out and rushing to a pokecenter in a blind panic is a type of navigation method... I guess.

Looking at duranduran's moves, I'm not sure Metal Sound is going to see much use given the physical nature of his attacks.

The third Machop roadblock for Delta Squirtle finally shows up. Remember, we're tackling this route backwards because I abused line of sight to sneak past all the trainers the first time.

Telnor Cave is just to the south here.

how to become a trainer!

He had a Murkrow.

That's all the Route 1 trainers, so it's time to start grinding on the wildlife in Dark Cave.

Tempting, but I don't think so.

Then finally duranduran is done. 16-17 took longer than it needed to, so he'll be the only one I take that high. Everyone else is going to 16. He's basically going to be my ace in the hole.

Janine is next up.

I didn't have a baseline for her (or any of the rest of the team) so here's her first level up to compare against the last, if you like.

Hell. Yes.

Out with the growl, in with the move that only gets stronger as Janine gets faster.

Because Geodude is so common in the Dark Cave, I took Janine on a small journey to see if she could get better experience anywhere else. Instead I found this rear end in a top hat in Midna Mine.

the same purpose!

This guy is a gigantic roadblock. I'm not kidding. He's the hardest trainer in this area by a wide margin. Why?

Solrock and Lunatone are dangerous for the same reason that duranduran is. These fuckers can and will sweep your team if you're unprepared.

Dracolich came out, used one ineffective attack, and then went down like a sack of bricks. Artix tanked two psywaves to the face before Solrock went down.

And to her credit, she would have taken Lunatone out as well if not for its loving hypnosis.

I'm not playing badly here. I just can't do anything against a hypnosis sweeper this early in the game. Awakenings aren't sold until after the first gym, and you don't get access to berries until then either.

Thankfully duranduran is designed to (literally) chew up psychic types for breakfast. Also the Lunatone used Rock Throw instead of Hypnosis.

Go gently caress yourself.

And that's the story of how a random hiker swept through 83% of my team with two psychic types like this was Gen 1. This one fight is indicative of Insurgence's difficulty. Everything's fine until suddenly everything is not fine and you are entirely out of your depth staring down a sweeper built to gently caress up everything that moves.

places?

He had a Riolu.

Kids like you should be in school instead!

Sometimes when Insurgence does stuff, it has to pause for a brief moment. Usually this is when you're doing something for the first time in a session: catching a pokemon, healing at a center, winning a wild battle, winning a trainer battle... I dunno why, but it just does. It's one of those idiosyncracies that isn't worth looking into because it only bothers you once every time you play and then you don't have to think about it again.

I bring that up because Flabebe here straight up freezes the game for a good 10-15 seconds while trying to play its cry.

She had a Swirlix as well. Artix took care of it in the usual fashion.

Janine finally hit 16 in a wild double battle. So Dracolich is up next.

Here's his "before" stats.

While randomly grinding I find a Purrloin. I remember someone asking me to use one, but I can't remember who. So instead I asked a friend to nickname it for me.

I take zero credit for this. I told him it was a leopard pokemon and the rest was entirely his doing.

10-15 minutes later...

Shadow Sneak is a pretty decent move. Much better than Scratch, and it gets the all-important STAB!

And because Charmander is the same regardless of Delta status or not...

Stats before and after evolution! Looks like he picked up between 4 and 6 points in everything, except HP where he got 7. Not too bad!

Thanks to being one of my two aces, Artix only needs a single level to hit my self-imposed max.

She continues to be an absolute beast.

I waffled on this, but ultimately decided against it. We'll get easy access to a move relearner later.

I got midway through leveling up Staaaares when I decided to swap her out for Zucchini.

I briefly considered Mewspot, but...

Zucchini is a million times better in every way that matters.

It's an uphill climb, though. For the next 6 levels, Zucchini is actual dead weight. If I had any TMs, I'd teach them just to put his impressive SpAtk to use.

I also had the "bright" idea to train up Zucchini and Morocco at the same time. Unfortunately, the mole's moveset is really, really terrible. Mud Slap would be alright, except it has barely any PP. Sure, on average Fury Swipes is okay to mediocre, but gently caress the average.

Morocco's next ability comes at 15. So this is the doldrums of level grinding.

:psyduck: Why not? Let me teleport back quickly!

It finally occurs to me that there are trainers still unbeaten in Midna Mine, and also that Insurgence rewards XP based on levels. So Zucchini will get quite a lot of experience from a trainer battle, and because most of the rest of my team is so high level, they'll get comparatively less.

So...

Midna Mine has two floors. The first floor is a huge spiral. There's something like 18 breakable rocks up here and several trainers.

This is Round. I don't think I've ever used it because of how gimmicky it is.

I also forgot to record fighting this guy. Once I realized how dire Morocco's moves were, and how he could barely hold his own against things lower level than he was, I turned off the recording to take a quick break. When I came back I forgot to start it back up until I'd beaten this guy. You didn't miss much.

This will be helpful later on.

It's so annoying!

Isn't it bad luck to have a parasol open indoors?

Oh sure now you give one to me! :mad:

:getin: It will be a while yet, but we'll be able to evolve Zucchini without having to bother with nonsense like "having friends" or "trading online."

Moving on, let's finish off Morocco's leveling and be done with grinding until the next time we need to.

Oh hey, for once Morocco can put Mud Slap to actual use.

Because Insurgence won't let me have nice things, Morocco immediately got Quick Attacked by a Pachirisu and went down.

The ledge in the back is something we can't access until basically the very end of the game. There's a mega stone up there for Absol, if I remember right. I never have used one and by the time we can get one, we have access to so many better dark types. So I probably never will use one. Oh well.

Little girl... check. Deep in the cave... check. Protagonist hair color... check. Ladies and gentlemen, we've found Nora.

: Use Tesseract!

She also has a mythical pokemon as a partner. It's not a spoiler at this point to say she's the game's other, more capable, rival.

: I can't believe it. All of our hard work finally paid off! Armaldo, Bastiodon, Kabutops, and Omastar...

I think it's implied that Amy is speaking here.

: Mew...
: What was that?

Mew goes over to play with Celebi.

about Torren.

to find and defeat the cults.

: You know, like Mew, Victini, and Hoopa.

I guess this was written before the term "Mythical Pokemon" was popularized?

legendary pokemon.

anyone.

I'm afraid they'll come after me.

the prophecy, but...

if it does, you might become a target.

: The tournament in the trainer school! I completely forgot!

Well if Nora doesn't want those fossils...

We can't leave town yet even though we found Nora.

Anyway, back to level grinding. At 15, Morocco finally learns a decent attacking move

gently caress Fury Swipes. Does poo poo-all for damage and has the temerity to only have 80 accuracy. Metal Claw is a much better move.

And finally with Metal Claw, Morocco gets to 16 in no time at all. You know what that means?

WE'RE DONE WITH LEVEL GRINDING FOR THE MOMENT! :toot: :toot: :toot:

One trip to the center later... let's go win a tournament.

Glad to see that no matter where and when it is, some children are dickbags for no reason at all.

Well someone has a high opinion of himself.

This won't take very long.

9 students counting Amy and Damian... That doesn't work out evenly. I guess that means Nora is the champion and the rest of us fight for the opportunity to challenge her?

"Champion".

Eight? :psyduck:

The bug catcher kid with the straw hat isn't participating. How odd.

To those worried I overleveled... well, see the numbers for yourself. Insurgence loves to do this. You'll go through an area and reach what you think is a reasonable level only to find that the game has raised the stakes and you're suddenly underleveled.

So those 2 and a half hours of grinding wasn't me overpreparing, it was me reaching the new baseline.

Morocco went down, but Zucchini picks up the slack.

You don't get any XP for this tournament. It's solely for bragging rights (and the ability to continue the story).

: The stadium is getting heated and the contestants are on fire!

It's naturally a single elimination tournament. The rude Simon gets to fight the undefeated Nora. Pity, I'd have liked to taught him some humility myself.

I don't think Morocco survives the opening round of any of these fights. Thankfully the teacher heals everyone to full in between bouts.

Janine laughs all the way to victory here.

Artix, meanwhile, gets to teach Damian to fear the words "Use Rollout!"

: What spectacular matches!

This fight is in Morocco's favor, but Mud Slap...

This is two mud slaps dealing supereffective STAB damage. The burn is new.

I know Excadrill is good, because when I played part of BW2, I used one. But... geez...

To his credit, Morocco took out most of the Quilava's HP. Quilava is actually Nora's ace in this fight. She can randomly use her pokemon in whatever order she wants, so in this case she led with her best.

We don't have any good answers to the ground type on our team. It's too early for ice types to show up and the only grass type we can get at the moment is Hoppip. But we have the numbers advantage as well as some incredible 'mons.

Even as weak as Twister is, it's more than enough in this case.

This isn't even fair. We win. Hands down.

than me?

one to come out on top!

"Champion"!

It won't be me because I'm outta here the second I don't have to be here.

final...

One neat thing about the game is how every time you do something, it lavishes you with praise because of how cool it was.

: Oh... alright.

Hell yeah! Our first TM, and it's one of the best.

pokemon!

Ouch.

latter.

This is Nora speaking.

and honing my skills.

: You too... ummm... What's your name exactly?
: My name is Damian.
: Right. Damian. I'll see you both in Suntouched City!

watching!

your minds to it.

Laying it on a little thick there, aintcha? I guess it's the sign of a good teacher to encourage her best pupils in this fashion, though. Even if it is at the expense of the others.

Try and stop me now random little kid who no longer exists!

Don't mind me, just talking to the nearby fisherman...

gently caress yeah I do!

That's where the update leaves off. BUT! Because we're in a new route, we have access to a bunch of new types. Let's start with old routes first.

Shade Forest (Old Rod)

Magikarp
Remoraid

Telnor Cave (Old Rod)

Magikarp
Qwilfish

Route 1

Delta Dwebble (Trade a Totodile)

Route 1 (Old Rod)

Magikarp
Barboach

Dark Cave (Old Rod)

Carvanha
Corphish

Midna Garden (Old Rod)

Shellder
Magikarp

Midna Town (Old Rod)

Finneon

Midna Mine (Old Rod)

Goldeen
Clamperl

Route 2

Staryu
Totodile
Marill
Bidoof
Buizel

Route 2 (Old Rod)

Remoraid
Corsola

Ancient Ruins

Sandshrew
Geodude
Tyrogue
Riolu (Only appears after Plot Happens)

Ancient Ruins (Old Rod)

Magikarp

Cyan Cavern

Magnemite
Onix
Shuckle (5%)
Whismur
Makuhita (4%)
Sableye
Roggenrola
Pancham (1%)

Cyan Cavern (Old Rod)

Magikarp
Relicanth

The Ancient Ruins also have something else available, but much, much later in the game...

Meet Delta Geodude. It's Psychic/Rock, and the only one in the game is available at level 50. It evolves to Graveler, I'd like to point out, at level 25. It's 3 abilities are Regenerator (Restores HP when withdrawn from battle), Sap Sipper (No damage from grass attacks, and gets an attack boost when hit by them), and Magic Bounce (Hidden; Reflects status moves).

Unfortunately, Psychic is primarily a special attack type with very few good physical moves. Golem, to put it bluntly, doesn't have special attack stats. It's also available so late in the game that it just isn't worth training up on the off chance it's good.

And that's all for now!

NEXT TIME: We make our way to Suntouched City!

DoubleNegative fucked around with this message at 11:23 on Oct 13, 2018

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Zanzibar Ham posted:

I don't really know/remember all the available pokemon right now, but I always liked Shellder and I assume Clamperl is sorta similar at least? So one of them could be nice. Call it Tightlips.

I don't mean to quash your enthusiasm, but Clamperl doesn't quite evolve along the same lines as Shellder does. :v:

Dragonatrix posted:

Wanna see a Carvanha, because I like that angry fishboy. :shobon:

Since it came up already. can Delta Golem learn Psycho Cut at least?

Sadly no... Delta Geodude doesn't learn Psycho Cut. If you're interested here's the movelist. Though beware open spoilers on most pages if you go looking!

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

I know a few of you damned souls hardy folks are playing this as well, so I want to share this "mod" that I found.

https://forums.p-insurgence.com/t/increase-contrast-on-selected-not-selected-buttons/13971

Supposedly it fixes the hosed up color contrast on the move selection screen.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Doing recording right now and Totodile is in the same situation as Onix. To put it bluntly, I'm not going to go broke throwing an endless amount of pokeballs at something so I can then immediately trade it away for a cake crab. It seriously broke out of 5 pokeballs, 2 premiere balls, 2 great balls, and an ultra ball.

Starters have obnoxiously low catch rates. :mad:

EDIT: :shepicide: zero meaningful progress was made and i'm still underleveled for the first gym by between 3 and 5 levels each

I know I said the grinding gets better, but it gets way, way, way worse before it gets better. I'm talking on the order of grinding between 2500 and 3000 XP per level at 100 per battle. And that amount gained per battle only decreases per level gained.

DoubleNegative fucked around with this message at 10:48 on Oct 12, 2018

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

After my little progress report after the last recording session, you all overwhelmingly told me to just cheat in some rare candies to avoid the grind. So why not go all educational about this?

First allow me to pull back the curtain...

TIMG'd to show you what we're working with. Allow me to highlight the important bits.

The main Insurgence window.

Notepad++

And finally the latest version of Cheat Engine.

You first want to go ahead and select the Pokemon Insurgence process.

You also want to be on the pokemart purchase screen. Pokeballs should probably be highlighted. This next part is important, so be sure to follow it carefully. Make sure you do not have any regular pokeballs in your inventory. None. At all.

Over in Cheat Engine you want to type 535 into the box, but leave all the search settings at default. Why 535?

535 is the internal item ID of pokeballs. What we're doing is searching for pokeballs as they appear on the shop screen.

Having 81 results is drat near ideal. You can trim them down a little by moving the cursor around in the menu and searching for "unchanged value" in Cheat Engine.

This value here changed from 535 to 1, so it's not pointing at what we want. So if we search for "unchanged value" then Cheat Engine will flush it from the results.

74 is about as good as we're going to get. So just highlight all of them and hit that little red arrow I'm pointing at.

A quick search reveals that Rare Candies are internal ID 527.

So select all the memory addresses we brought down and change the value from 535 to 527.

Back in the game, you want to leave the purchase screen and go back in. Properly priced Rare Candies are now for sale! But that's not all. Here's a two-fer. You see, those candies are really expensive so...

Over in Cheat Engine hit New Scan and in the search box type in how much money you have. In our case it's 25064, then hit *2+1. The devs of Insurgence didn't want you to do what we're about to do, so they made it difficult by internally storing the money as a value that's double what it shows, and then adding one. So 25064 becomes 50129.

Draxion and Ace of Aces explain what's going on better than I can:

Draxion posted:

The *2+1 thing is the offset for pretty much every value you might want to change in RPG Maker games, in case anyone is interested in doing that for anything else.

Ace of Aces posted:

This is actually a quirk of the game engine, not Insurgence's dev actually being a dick, unlike in their previous game, where any detected cheating would replace your pokemon with Dunsparce, change every text box to "DON'T CHEAT", and overwrite delete your saves, and overwrite your autosave slots with garbage every frame.

8 results, but we can quickly narrow that down. Just buy a few things and search again.

I bought a single Rare Candy and searched for the new money value. Then when I highlighted Antidote to buy, there was only a single value left that money could be. So we just need to bring down that address like before.

In this case we don't really need to change the value, so just hit the little checkbox next to it and freeze it in place. Our money is now frozen at $20,264.

Let me warn you now, Insurgence has a hard-coded maximum money value of $999,999. Going above that will crash the game. So if you want to max out your money, just set it to 1999999 and never look back.

You should also save and restart Insurgence if you do this to prevent the game from acting oddly.

The regular update will come a little later when I'm not quite so behind.

DoubleNegative fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Oct 16, 2018

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

My decryption of Insurgence is not right in some way. The game can't be launched from RPGMaker and can't even be saved. So any edits I make can't be done.

Also 99% of the shops in the game are handled by a script I can't actually find anywhere, which is probably related to the first issue. So long story short, code injection with cheat engine is the only way I know to get this done.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Hello everyone and welcome back. We have a lot of ground to cover. If you read the thread between updates, then you know what's coming. If not, then I am so sorry.

Last time I celebrated a little too early. Sure I was done with level grinding for the time being, but we're now staring down the barrel of the first gym. The leader's ace is level 25, and the average trainer level in the gym is between 22 and 23. The team is between 16 and 19.

We have so much work to do.

To start off with, we got an old rod last time so let's catch some fish.

We get 5 keybinds we can use for key items and until the postgame we won't really have that many key items we need to keybind. So no reason not to take advantage, right?

And now let's fish. Unfortunately, Insurgence uses the same fishing system as other Essentials games. So we have a "reflex test" whenever the "Oh! A bite!" message pops up. Given that I play with Cheat Engine's speedhack running somewhere between 1.75x and 2.5x... well, reflex tests are incredibly obnoxious.

A few tries later, we land a Finneon. I don't want one of them, so back into the water it goes. I didn't realize this until much later, but Finneon is the only encounter on the Old Rod table for Midna City. So I waste time trying to catch something that isn't here.

13 attempts later I decide to go somewhere else.

Down here in Shade Forest, I'm trying to fish up a Poliwag. Unfortunately I'm an idiot who misread the encounter table. Poliwag is on the surf encounter table, not the Old Rod one.

Remoraid is a good gunfish. I used an Octillery in my first run for a very long time until it was made redundant by other stuff I was cycling in. I don't catch this one because I want to try and use different pokemon in this run.

This does give me a chance to catch a Magikarp, however.

He won't show up for a while, but I have ideas on where to use this little guy. Sadly his mega stone is a postgame thing, so he won't turn into Super Wrath any time where it would be useful.

Popping over to Dark Cave now for another fish.

I don't believe I've ever used a Crawdaunt. It gets a mega evolution that, again, is a postgame thing. In theory you could maybe get it before then but it would be one of those 11th hour deals. We'll have plenty of opportunity to see Mega Crawdaunt in the story, so don't worry about that. One of the major bosses has one as their ace.

A few tries later, this fellow shows up.

I normally wouldn't show a capture battle, but I want to point this out. You can now plainly see what moves are selected. Between recordings I found a mod that another player made that makes what moves you've selected a lot more apparent. The increased contrast is so much better.

I like Chompy Boy. He's going to replace Morocco because I have no patience for late bloomers when the game demands I grind this much.

Nobody asked for it, but while in the neighborhood I swung by the hidden grove to pick up a Heatmor.

I don't give him a nickname, though. Moving on...

Another to catch here in Midna Garden.

Cloyster is another of those pokemon I'm not sure I've ever used.

It has an early game Ice move, but it's one of those weak multi-hit moves as its only attack. It doesn't even get STAB on Icicle Spear, so it's a pretty worthless attack unless it's hitting for supereffective damage.

I'm not proud of this nickname, but given Cloyster's resemblance to a piece of human anatomy...

Anatomy is a drat tank, and whenever she becomes a Cloyster, she'll be a freaking wall.

Heatmor's ability isn't exactly useful, but the stats don't lie. It's also ridiculously good, and is a rare pure fire type that isn't a glass cannon.

Chompy Boy is also pretty good. Its potential also means it can put the largely special-focused water type to good use while still abusing the poo poo out of dark's physical preference.

Wrath... :cripes: It's a good thing Gyarados is a physical attacker! Put that amazing attack IV to good use. I'll be finding another candidate for the deadly sin of Wrath.

Over in Route 2, we find something useful. No map is really needed because Route 2 is basically a straight line with an "optional" divergence midway.

Let's meet the locals!

They're genetically superior!

No... don't you dare!

This guy has 2 of the 3 mid-tier Gen V starters. They're not very interesting fights, though Dracolich does get to be a rat bastard and turn Confuse Ray on a Servine that's been buffing its attack stat. It's an extremely satisfying, but extremely mean, tactic.

gently caress you.

You know, for all I complain about IVs, I don't actually care that much as long as its important stats aren't below like 5-6.

Route 2 is very short. We're just on the other side of the screen from the breeder and we're halfway through it.

Another step and we get a small cutscene.

More Abyssal Cult jerks. I'm not even sure what their aims are here. This is clear on the far side of the region from their base. Honestly it feels like their appearance here is because we need something to do in this zone that otherwise just serves as a liminal space between Midna Town and yet another cave.

At any rate, I don't want any part of that nonsense.

Seems legit.

nothin personnel kid

I take this opportunity to swap out Morocco for Chompy Boy.

Seriously!?

Sadly Chompy Boy doesn't know any water moves yet. But STAB Bite is a good consolation prize.

Nevermind.

A priority physical water move? Just for me? You shouldn't have!

Uh... sure.

Don't need Leer anyway.

While out XP grinding, a Staryu shows up.

I don't nickname it. While I'd like to use it, I don't know when I'll have easy access to a water stone. The guaranteed spot is a very long way away.

Moving on, we find a cliche.

The Abyssal Cult is blockading the way forward for some reason.

Anyway, this cliche challenges us to a fight. Why is he a cliche?

Big muscular guy, cute little fairy types. It would be a cute joke if it wasn't constantly repeated in every pokemon game ever since fairies were introduced.

I'll agree that fairies are certified shitwreckers.

The path that we're being funneled toward has an Antidote.

Ancient Ruins is another area that doesn't need a map.

There are some goodies hidden here, though! There's another one that I couldn't find at the time, but is over to the west.

According to the wiki it's right under Amy's feet here. "Between the top two purple flowers, southwest of the area."

I really like the look of this area. It's not explained, it's a little off the beaten path, and there's neat stuff hidden all over.

Case in point. The Delta Geodude I mentioned last time can be found near the entrance much later in the game.

There's quite a few rooms on either side of the great hall here.

Another Relic Song wall. Remember, it's a postgame ability. What's it locking off this time? Lucarionite. So yet another mega evolution that's limited to postgame.

Chompy Boy bites it against a random Sandshrew. On the way back from healing I find this rear end in a top hat.

Ten balls, three of which have boosted catch rates.

It's in critical health. It's paralyzed thanks to Janine, and I'm using an Ultra Ball. It still broke out.

I'm not happy.

Blatantly putting off the fight in the ruins...

Fun fact: Clamperl's... pearl is what Spoink wears.

Guess I can't put it off any longer.

nowhere to run!

The poor terrified Riolu is blocked on all sides by Abyssal Cult jerks.

Remember, these assholes are Team Aqua With The Serial Numbers Filed Off. What use could they possibly have for a Fighting/Steel type? This encounter makes me think this was written really early on in development with the cults acting like Team Rocket instead of, y'know, religious fanatics.

You know, literally any other cult would make more sense than the Abyssal Cult. The Cult of Darkrai is right over there! The Infernal Cult isn't that far away. Even the mysterious Perfection would make more sense here. I just... I just don't get it.

You look familiar... have we met before?

I thought Jaern arrested you! Or killed you. Or both.

Big talk for the person who lost the battle.

to offer!

Horsea, Skrelp, and Corphish is the best they have? That's so very, very sad.

I'll deal with them myself in a second.

This will eventually be explained. In like 90 hours. Long after any of us have forgotten about it. Just thought you all should know.

interesting to explore.

more powerful than before.

: Don't forget- we're still racing to Suntouched City!

This is actually a good point to stop for now. If, for whatever reason you wanted to catch a Riolu, they can now be encountered in the patches of grass in these ruins.

The Lucarionite, by the way. Remember, we can't get it until the postgame.

NEXT TIME: The... ugh... grinding cave. Also we reach the big city. But mostly grinding.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Oooh. Does this mean I get the opportunity to link this in the context of the discussion?

Bogleech Reviews: The Riolu Line

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Hello everyone and welcome back. We have a lot to do today, so let's not waste any time!

The two rooms we couldn't get in thanks to the cultists have some goodies. Dracolich gets the Spell Tag in case he wants to ever use Shadow Sneak.

The roadblock is gone now that that Lucario has gone super saiyan.

It stinks!

Just past the roadblock is this laid off miner.

What's really funny about Brock is that Pikachu would have been an okay choice against him. It's just the preponderance of Rock/Ground types in Gen 1 that made electric mice a poor choice.

The only reason Janine here didn't one shot the Roggenrola is because it had Sturdy. Also I grab Thunder Wave and get rid of Play Nice. We'll be putting this move to such good use throughout the game.

These battles are barely worth mentioning.

It will be an extremely long time before we make our way around to Hekate Town. If I'm not mistaken, that's between the 5th and 6th gym. So this poor guy is gonna be jobless for a long time.

In the cave, we have another grinding zone. Nurse Joy is right there, so if you have the patience you can grab a few levels. We need to get our team up to around 24-25, however the XP given plummets here around 20. At that you earn ~100 per battle and you need a few thousand per level.

I've mentioned it a few times, but the upcoming gym leader's ace is 25. The rest of his team is between 23 and 24. The other trainers in his gym are 20. There's another grinding zone on the other side of the upcoming town, but it has basically the same encounter table as Cyan Cavern here, at the same levels.

What I'm getting at is this section of the game loving sucks. So please excuse me as I skip through the next hour of footage in basically no time.

Also that TM is locked off by Rock Climb. So we can't get it until the postgame. It's Iron Tail, for whatever that's worth.

The local trainers have some interesting team members.

I'm still taking requests, but my team is pretty much locked until I reach the town after the next one. Metchi Town is just a single route past Suntouched City and it's where the game finally eases up on the godawful grinding.

Wow. Pancham is a 1% encounter and I just tripped across one!

Fight me. :colbert:

Just after catching Taran Zhu, I swap out Chompy Boy for someone else because Chompy Boy takes hits like wet paper.

Taran Zhu is pretty okay.

Gremlin is interesting. I don't have a shot of her stats, sadly.

Tightlips has the potential to be a really dangerous Huntail.

Anyway, I grab Anatomy to give her a spin.

This won't last long. Icicle Spear is a terrible move and will make grinding her up a pain in the rear end.

A Whismur is always welcome. I put one to really good use in a recent run of Alpha Sapphire. Never hurts to have the option!

And the team is finally finalized. This Staryu is gonna be one of my secret weapons against the upcoming gym.

It also gets a decent early game STAB move.

And a move with perfect accuracy!

Then a few levels later, Water Gun gets a really powerful upgrade.

Magnemite is being held back for a rainy day. I'm gonna keep Janine for a while. Also we can't fully evolve it to Magnezone until level 55 or so.

Fuckin' seriously!?

Insurgence has the same problem that all Essentials productions do... NPCs are allowed to wander. In this case, that Ace Trainer we fought over near the wall has wandered directly in front of the path I've been following. This will be a constant annoyance throughout the game.

By the way, I wasn't kidding about the XP dropping. Whismur is probably the most common encounter in here and this is how much XP it gives. Shuckle and Sableye give more, but they're harder to find.

Yeah, let me just use this move that removes the STAB bonus on Bubble Beam. That's an amazing idea.

10 minutes later...

5 minutes later...

Pity too, because I don't believe I've ever used a Hariyama.

This Onix won't let me escape even after KOing Artix.

:tizzy: The first... the first... the first loving ball!

Some day I will look back at the box and wonder why I named an Onix "gently caress You"

Moving on, this sounds like a decent idea.

So I get rid of Encore for it. I'll probably never use Rest but hey... why not?

Just imagine each screenshot is taken between 3 and 5 minutes apart to get the idea for how much I'm skipping over here.

Between updates, people in the thread started talking about Zoroark and its relationship with Lucario. I thought it was funny you guys brought it up.

Is it weird that I can't play the game at a speed slower than this?

Anyway, this is a thing the game likes to occasionally do. I have to admit, I kinda enjoy when it does. Just random Zorua and Zoroarks are great gotcha moments. They show up just infrequently enough that you always forget about them too.

Anyway, after the Zorua fakeout, this rude old man only has a Cubone and a Grimer.

Never lost? I somehow doubt that.

I somehow don't think that dialogue is supposed to be here.

Just on the other side the path curls down in on itself in a spiral. There's a hiker down here.

Yeah, probably.

I appreciate that Insurgence lets trainers have all sorts of pokemon. It prevents battles from getting too bogged down in Nidorans and Rattatas.

Artix continues her rampage across the early parts of the game unabated.

The last couple trainers are found down here, as well as some useful items.

He had the three Gen 1 Eeveelutions. No idea why he doesn't like ice types.

A magnet!

Yoink.

This is also the point where I said "gently caress it" to grinding and decided to move on.

Mark is the last trainer in the cave, and these are his only two pokemon.

The lower floor is a smaller loop. This ladder up is on the far side of the wall from where we came down.

And that's Cyan Cavern. Let's never speak of it again.

Suntouched City is the first big town in the game. There's a lot of houses that I'm not going to show off with a bunch of people making terrible jokes.

The gym is up on the upper level of the city.

Multiple NPCs have talked about how Orion uses multiple types. This guy says he uses Fire and something else. The teacher at the trainer school says Fire and Grass types. Can you guess what Orion's gimmick is? It's pretty obvious if you think about it.

Oh... we will. We very much will. :getin:

You might notice this pokecenter is kinda spacious. That's because it has multiple floors!

The three painted lines take you to the three types of shops. The blue line takes you to the pokemart where there's always NPCs waiting in line who all make the same joke that you're cutting in front of them. All of them. In. Every. Goddamn. Big. Pokecenter. It makes you smile the first time. Then it just gets old.

The purple line takes you to the hair stylist. Female characters have two hair types: long and short. Right now Amy's hair is long. Males get "bald" and "has hair."

If you have the wrong hair dye in and the wrong type of hair, when your character does their run animation, the hair stays in place while their head goes forward. The customization system is not well thought out.

Speaking of which, the candy cane line goes to the clothing shop. There's nothing worth buying there. The customization barely shows up in the overworld and looks terrible on the trainer card. It's also just recolors of the same pants and shirt. There are no skirts or dresses or sweaters or anything like that.

On the one hand I'm impressed that they included customization at all. On the other I'm disappointed at how limited it is.

If there's interest, I'll go through and show off what the clothing shop has for sale. Otherwise I probably won't interact with it much.

have a theme.

strategies!

I completely forgot an NPC said this.

The back of the upper floor has the name rater and move deleter and usually an old man who gives you something nice.

In this case he doesn't.

The north of Suntouched has a huge golden statue of Jaern.

She'll give us a couple Heart Scales. Decent, but meh.

Shiny Stone. We can buy these in infinite quantities once we get to the capital city.

Yes... yes they are.

This is the start of a quest for another Delta Pokemon. We can't really do it until we clear the first gym, however. Long story short, something is messing up his flower garden and he wants our help to take care of it. I'll cover the Delta in question when we can catch it. It's not very far away at all!

Free moon stone!

We haven't seen it yet, but there's a pond in the middle of the cave to the south. We can't leave until we can surf, and we can't surf until we clear the gym.

:smith: Wish I could rescue this poor Machop from its awful trainer.

Next door we can rob a Skitty of its gem.

Orion is a young child and a gym leader. So he has an imaginary friend.

So yeah, in the capital city there's an NPC who just sells a service that lets you get trade evolutions without actually having to trade. They're a pain in the rear end to get to but it's oh-so-worth it.

This is an obtuse reference to the Relic Song quest. You know, that ability we can't learn until the postgame.

:toot: NPCs are really generous!

More postgame stuff.

Complete dead end down here. There's like... one new pokemon to catch in here, a Timburr. There's also a trade on the upper level (that we'll see next time) where you can trade a Butterfree for a Natu.

Otherwise, there's literally nothing new to see here.

The Suntouched Exitway has the same encounter levels as Cyan Cavern. So it's not even a good grinding spot.

Let's end the update on a good note, however.

I accidentally forget Metal Sound here instead of Vice Grip. So for the time being, duranduran has 4 attack moves. I'll take care of that eventually.

Anyway, that's enough for now.

NEXT TIME: I'm going to "find" about 17 rare candies in order to get everyone up to level 24. Then I'm going to go confront the gym leader so we can be forever done with soul destroying grinding.

All that's between us and that glorious day is one gym leader, one route with a few scattered trainers, one mandatory battle, and $5000. I'm excited and you should be too!

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Hello everyone and welcome back. Let's get started.

I "found" a cache of rare candies.

Screech replaces Growl.

Double Team replaces Quick Attack.

This is a terrible idea. Staryu has a base speed of 85... Starmie has 115. They're both insanely fast, so naturally they should definitely learn a move that gets more powerful when they're slower. Maybe this could be useful in a trick room setup? Hard pass.

LiefKatano clarifies:

LiefKatano posted:

It wouldn't be good for them in a Trick Room set-up; Trick Room just reverses the order Pokemon act, more or less (unless a Pokemon would move faster because priority) and doesn't actually change the Speed of the Pokemon on the field.

So yeah, avoid the poo poo out of Gyro Ball.

I can think of some bullshit I can get up to with this. Swapped out Disable for this.

Artix forgets Wrap in favor of Rock Throw.

duranduran's stats.

Dracolich's stats.

Janine's stats.

Staryu's stats.

Zucchini's stats.

And finally Artix's stats.

Staryu gets renamed to Shuriken as well.

And because I don't respect my own time, I'm in here hunting for a 1% encounter.

Fifteen minutes later...

Alright, that's all the preparations done. So let's get to the meat of this update. First up...

I forgot this in the previous update. This is a 1/4 scale map of Suntouched City. Literally every other map I've shown in this LP so far has been 1/2 scale. I just want to impress on you how large this town is.

Anyway, if we step on the fan, we get launched into the stratosphere.

This area is gigantic and there's really not much going on here. Even not counting the relic song wall way over on the right, it doesn't fit on my monitor at all in 1/2 scale.

By the way, just forget that relic song wall exists. We can't get over there until the postgame to start with, and even if we could somehow 1) get over there and 2) open the wall right now, all we'd find on the other side is a pissed off level 100 Zapdos.

South of where we landed we can find this nice young man who gives us a cookie.

happens when you're poisoned?

As far as I've been able to tell, Insurgence doesn't make poison adversely affect special attack. This is just another NPC that brings up something I hadn't thought too hard about and don't really give a poo poo about to be honest.

Down in front of the huge flower garden is the old man we met last time.

Skipping most of his text...

We can get a single honey on the next route. The guy even points us right at it.

We'll be back here in a moment. This is the Broadcast Tower I've been lowkey hyping up since the second or third update.

This lady offers this trade in one of the houses. You can also find Natu in Friend Safaris, but this one is much easier to get.

They keep hammering in how weird the gym leader is for talking to rocks. Gee I wonder if it's going to be relevant...

This nasty old woman is just plain rude. The wiki doesn't mention she does anything, and I'll never come back here. So she could give away infinite money and I wouldn't remember to check. Oh well!

anywhere near me!

That's pretty funny, not gonna lie.

This uh... individual is one of approximately 10,000 move tutors in the game. Most towns have one and they all teach different stuff. This person teaches some extremely powerful moves to any of the normal starters. So that Totodile you totally caught on the first attempt and you don't get why I had so much trouble? He can learn a move that he potentially could use the entire game!

of his pokemon.

Hint. HINT. HINT! If you have given this any amount of thought you can see Orion's gimmicks coming from a mile away and can prepare appropriate counters. If that wasn't enough, we'll be catching something in this very update that is a hard counter to potentially all of Orion's team!

given Gym?

I'm not entirely sure how they collect these statistics. But 180,147 victors is very interesting. My previous save file is one of those, and I'm sure that there are other damaged folks that have played this multiple times... so I have to wonder exactly how large this game's audience is.

If anyone has any information on how that information is collected, I'd love to know.

This is one of the things I've been dying to show off. The Broadcast Tower is another game-spanning sidequest that gives you the opportunity to catch a lot of rare and powerful pokemon you can't find anywhere else.

Sounds good, huh?

It's kind of a missed opportunity that this guy isn't an optional boss later in the game.

Oh god dammit. I read that line the first time I played and didn't think anything of it. I read it when I was recording and didn't think anything of it. Then I read it while putting this update together and the pun finally hit me.

They just want you to come play with them.

You and me? We'll go far together.

Over on the other side of the second floor, a security guard stops us.

I seriously cut out most of his dialogue. drat but this game loves to hear itself talk.

The pikachu following close behind her didn't tip me off. I'm not very good at judging trainers.

Poor Amy. Got her hair cut short and she's being mistaken for a boy. :(

any.

This is mercifully not the only Axew in the game. It's a fairly common encounter in a cave a few hours down the line.

See the grass rustling? It's a surprisingly subtle effect if you don't know what to look for. That's where Axew is. There are no encounters in this grass at all, so you have to find it.

Haxorus is a good dragon type, but I think we're well covered in that department. This is a golden opportunity if you didn't pick Delta Charmander at the start.

:homebrew:

And it's that easy!

When the sidequest is ready to continue, you'll get a call on your "pokegear" from the director. The first two stages of it are actually available from the start, it just takes a random amount of steps in order for the next one to activate. After the second, however, we have to wait a long time between calls.

Mission 3 won't be available until we complete an extremely difficult major story battle in an area with high magnetism. The average level of our team, at that point, will be around level 55.

See that black loading screen at the start of the gif? That's the city loading in immediately after finishing the Axew catch. I've never seen it happen that fast before. Later stages of this actually have a minimum of 1500 steps since the last Broadcast Tower event in addition to the usual plot-related gates.

This is actually the reason I've been so intent to show off the Broadcast Tower. So let's not waste any time...

over in the Rezzai Desert.

I could see a TV show about a little girl catching wild pokemon being a big hit. Cut it like a modern reality show in the vein of the "America's/Britain's Got Talent" and people would eat it up.

See that little puff over to the right? That's our wayward Delta friend.

Not gonna give them much "wandering in the desert" footage, sadly. Maybe they'll want to get some B-roll after...

Oh how I've missed you... heheheh.

Before we continue... let's talk Delta Grimer.

Delta Grimer and Muk are both pure ground type. Grimer only has two abilities... Sap Sipper (No damage from grass type moves, being hit by one increases power)... and Water Absorb (Hidden; Gets healed by water type moves).

Delta Muk has the same, but it also has a chance to have the "Regurgitation" ability. (Releases an additional 40 base power Dark, Grass, Water, Fire, Normal, or Psychic-type attack after successfully using an attack. The type of the attack is determined by the pokemon within the Delta Muk's mouth and cannot be changed.)

Delta Muk can, I guess, randomly have one of six different small pokemon caught in its mouth (Horsea, Bellsprout, Magby, Deino, Whismur, Natu). And those captured pokemon will add their $0.02 worth to attacks Muk does. Each one of them has a different front and back sprite as well.

Putting all that aside, this is the another really loving good Delta. Grimer's line is very physical-focused, and there's a really good chance that it'll be completely immune to one of ground's major weaknesses for the entire game. This also means that Delta Muk is a loving terrifying Earthquake sweeper. I used it until the actual endgame in my first run and only replaced it with a pseudo-legendary ground type right before the Elite Four.

There's downsides, though. When you catch Delta Grimer, its move pool is, to put it bluntly, unusable. It knows the following four moves: Sand Tomb, Swallow, Spit Up, and Minimize. It learned Stockpile at 12, but thanks to how wild pokemon learn moves, that is straight out the window. The good news is that we catch it at 25, and at 26 it learns Bulldoze. If you have an ounce of curiosity in your bones, you've found at least one rare candy already... right out in the open.

That's enough of me gushing about Delta Grimer, however. As good as it is, I won't be using it in this run because I used it so much in my last one. I'm trying to keep things interesting!

The green haired lady is optional to talk to, and she only exists to give you hints and words of encouragement and praise.

:toot:

I think that's enough dicking around. Let's end this update on a high note, huh?

Shuriken comes to the front for the gym.

the light of the sun!

Oh hey, what do you know... I've got both rock and water types on my team, and multiple ground types waiting in the wings if necessary!

Free fresh water the first time we talk to the gym hype guy in each town he's in!

way!

I'm gonna just give you the highlights here. These gym trainers are all around level 20 and solely use fire types, and our water type is 24. Take a wild guess how it goes.

Two routes to the gym leader and both sides have trainers up and down it. This wouldn't have been a bad place to train if I had thought about doing so.

:psyduck:

Someone's a sore loser!

I used the overpowered water star to blow a beam made of bubbles at your fire monkey that was voted the single least popular pokemon in existence in a japanese-only poll.

He had a Simisear by the way.

One of this poor kid's pokemon was a numel. Water does really mean things to these regular trainers.

It's not often you see the exact point someone stopped typing for the night and then picked back up the next day.

This is something I love that Insurgence does. Each gym in the game actually has a designated arena in the back.

And up at the very top we find Orion with his white rock friend.

Gym.

: I'm pretty good with Fire-types, and my pokemon work together under the light of the sun!

You now have zero excuses for not picking up on what his gimmick is. He's running a Sunny Day team. This is your last chance to make any necessary changes before battling him.

: ...what? Oh... The rock, everyone wants to know about the rock.

: ...but whatever, that's not important right now. You want a battle, right? Let's get started!

: You won't stand a chance!

Courtesy of the Insurgence wiki. Let's see just what we're getting into here. The Vulpix and Larvesta are both designed to catch Water and Ground types unawares. Vulpix also instantly sets up an 8-turn Sunny Day that we can't prevent, which only makes the rest of Orion's team that much more dangerous.

If not for drought, Shuriken would have one shot the Vulpix and then run roughshod over most of the rest of his team. Instead...

My dumb rear end forgets I have an Awakening in my bags.

So a sure thing becomes...

One-two wombo combo of Dream Eater and Energy Ball.

Janine is next up at bat.

I decide I've had enough playing nice. I'm gonna be an rear end in a top hat instead.

A drought-boosted Flamethrower is a firm suggestion to try a different tactic.

It turns out that Janine is not substantially faster than Orion's Vulpix making Electro Ball a bad move here.

Dracolich is third up.

The poor Vulpix doesn't quite know how to handle a pissed off ghost dragon using STAB moves.

Has it been 8 turns already? Orion threw a potion at Vulpix, by the way.

Another Twister finally KOs the sucker. And thanks to accidentally stalling, Orion doesn't get his boost anymore.

Larvesta isn't necessarily strong against Dracolich by itself, but go back up and look at that overview. It has Ice-type Hidden Power, largely as a secondary counter to ground types. Dragons don't like ice very much...

It hurts, and Dracolich can't damage race it. But Twister has that flinch chance...

Like so.

Once the Sunny Day boost is gone, these Flamethrowers aren't very scary.

Dracolich is quite a trooper! He ate a supereffective Hidden Power and then a STAB Flamethrower without batting an eye.

Fletchinder is Orion's ace. This is what I've been holding Artix in reserve for. Just roll this phrase around in your mind: STAB 4x Supereffective Rollout.

Artix can tank Flame Charges all day. This one took off 8 health... out of 50.

Then the Fletchinder tries to recover health and Artix dutifully misses.

Acrobatics really hurts, even through her defenses.

Orion thought using Overheat was a grand idea. Sure it hurt Artix a bit, except...

Rollout hits harder.

duranduran doesn't get any supereffective coverage against Ivysaur, but on the other hand, he can tank hits from it all day long and not feel a thing.

It likes to use Sleep Powder, though.

This back and forth continues for a bit. duranduran wakes up, uses Fury Cutter, Ivysaur puts it to sleep, and then it uses Synthesis to recover HP while duranduran sleeps.

If you swept the Vulpix in the first round, instant Solar Beams would be kinda scary to face down. Instead...

16 HP is not the victory it sounds like.

Fury Cutter stacking up finally wears the Ivysaur down and...

:toot: We win!

I like this gym battle. It's difficult, but not overly so. If you're not prepared, or not paying attention to the numerous hints, Orion will run all over you. In any other pokemon game, he would be a good mid-late game gym leader.

Another thing Insurgence has over Reborn... you actually get the loving badges when you beat the gym leaders.

A decent fire move is also a good reward!

poison-types!

drat right I did! :cool:

That's actually a good place to leave off. This update has run on longer than I wanted to anyway, and there's a massive plot dump coming up as soon as we step outside.

NEXT TIME: Plot! Route 3! More Delta Types!

DoubleNegative fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Oct 20, 2018

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Commander Keene posted:

You appear to have the same screenshot twice here. Is this intentional?

I don't know what you're talking about! I certainly didn't just replace the lower one with this image:

:ninja:

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

LiefKatano posted:

It wouldn't be good for them in a Trick Room set-up; Trick Room just reverses the order Pokemon act, more or less (unless a Pokemon would move faster because priority) and doesn't actually change the Speed of the Pokemon on the field.

Edited this into the update!

Draxion posted:

Hard mode in this game is very much not messing around.

Yeah... hard mode hates you and everything you stand for.

Per the wiki's page on difficulty, which I won't link to because of unmarked spoilers:

Easy difficulty
  • Decreased levels during major trainer battles.
  • Less Pokémon to fight on the teams of certain major trainer battles.
  • Increased number of Pokémon used by partners during Multi Battles.
    Reduced number of items held by opponents' Pokémon during certain major trainer battles.
  • Less competitive movesets/abilities are used by certain major trainers' Pokémon; movesets are intended to more closely resemble movesets found in the core series games.
  • Individual Values will be set to default (10) in all stats, for all trainer Pokémon.
  • Effort Values will be set to 0 in all stats, for all trainer Pokémon.
  • Natures are randomized for all trainer Pokémon.
  • Ability to set the Battle Style to Shift and use items when challenging the Pokémon League.

Hard difficulty
  • Increased levels during major trainer battles.
  • Level caps corresponding to the highest level of upcoming major trainer battles. If the player reaches this level cap, any Pokémon that has met this limit will receive 1 EXP when defeating another Pokémon in battle until the level cap has been raised again.
  • More Pokémon to fight on the teams of certain major trainer battles. Different Pokémon may also be used during a few major trainer battles. These Pokémon are intended to make battles more difficult and may not adhere to the continuity of the story as a result.
  • Reduced number of Pokémon used by partners during Multi Battles.
  • Increased number of items held by opponents' Pokémon during certain major trainer battles. Though most but not all movesets/abilities of major trainers' Pokémon are competitive, each Pokémon's type coverage is increased significantly.
  • Individual Values will be set to 31 in all stats, for nearly all major trainers' Pokémon.
  • Beneficial Natures are assigned to all major trainers' Pokémon starting with the fourth gym.
  • 510 non-random, beneficial Effort Values will be assigned to some major trainers' Pokémon starting at the Whirl Islands.
  • Inability to set the Battle Style to Shift and use items when challenging the Pokémon League.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Hello everyone and welcome back. This is gonna be a short update just covering the plot dump after the first gym battle.

: Hey, Amy, it's me, Nora. Did someone run by here just now?

That first sentence, while technically grammatically correct, had a comma between nearly every word.

: I'm going to check it out.

The game doesn't force us into this plot development, so we could heal up if we wanted to. There's no need to, so we'll just tag along and stare at the proceedings.

: Harmony, what are you doing here? I'm in the middle of my work shift... I'm accepting challenges right now.
: Orion, we need to get out of here!

: My friend is pretty heavy...

:sigh:

There's a pretty good chance that Harmony could take them on. She's incredibly strong and we'll get the opportunity to test that for ourselves later in the story.

out of here!

: For crying out loud, this is why they shouldn't let kids be Gym Leaders!

:drat: Kinda cruel to the kid, ain't she?

That, uh... that looks like a Kyurem.

: Legendary Pokemon are hard to control, you know.

and electricity solid.

: I work for the cult known as Perfection.

Taen looks so loving goofy. I'd like to imagine both the little girls in the back are just (quietly) snickering to each other at his dumb bowl cut and pants-based pokeball holster.

thing.

: But that doesn't mean you should take us lightly.

: You're friends with the rock?

: That's sooooo cute!

Lots of adults getting "sick burns" on an actual child in this update.

: Tell us what you want and leave.

:what:

: What? No way! I'd die first!

Get out of the way.

: Not a chance! Leave us alone!

: Insolent child!

Dude, that's pretty hosed up even by fangame standards. You don't just do that. What the gently caress.

dis-

The screen shakes.

: ...what was that?

Taen does a pretty good job of making himself hateable. It takes a real dickbag to come in, make fun of a lonely small child for having an imaginary friend, and then actually full-on open hand smack him across the face when he tries to protect that same imaginary friend.

The screen shakes more.

Good job Taen, your douchebaggery made the white rock explode.

Show of hands... who all remembers what this little animation entails?

That would be the second third of the Tao Trio. All we need now is Zekrom to complete the set.

: That is Reshiram... the being of Truth.

pieces of the same Pokemon.

: However, fighting and war eventually split the three apart.

fallen into Orion's care.

The White Rock is possibly a dormant and non-glowing version of The Light Stone. You know, the legendary artifact from Unova that Reshiram's body turned into when it died?

Reshiram takes one look at the group and decides to fly off.

: It seems like Reshiram has fled.

: Let's get going, Kyurem. We have a dragon to catch!

completely right.

: And now your friend's fled off...

: I didn't see you two there.

Yes Harmony, two preteen girls are cultists.

: No, of course not! We're trainers!

Ignoring the fact that Amy is wearing a Cult of Darkrai jumpsuit.

: My name is Harmony.

Harmony is the fourth gym leader. I have some capital-w-Words regarding her when we get there.

: I'm a challenger. Amy beat Orion earlier today.

to keep.

Nora is the world's worst secret keeper. She's the kind of kid that would walk around chanting "I know something you don't know and I can't tell you!"

: Was that...?

again!

:unsmith:

blue-haired guy.

never dreamed you were a legendary.

: I'm guessing you two have some catching up to do.
: Yeah... thanks. I'll battle you later, if that's alright.

:toot::toot::toot:

Ladies and gentlemen... I am pleased to announce that we now have the Surf replacement.

We'll just leave him alone with his terrifying fire dragon.

Alright, that's enough for this mini update. Next time, for real, we'll hit the new route.

But wait... I almost forgot. We have Surf now so let me just make a gigantic list... I'm also cutting out redundant entries, otherwise this list would be twice as long from all the repeated encounters across routes and towns.

Shade Forest (Surf)

Poliwag
Mantyke

Telnor Cave (Surf)

Wooper
Shellos (West Sea)

Route 1 (Surf)

Lotad
Oshawott

Dark Cave (Surf)

Ducklett (10%)

Midna Garden (Surf)

Tentacool
Piplup
Surskit (1%)

Midna Mine (Surf)

Poliwag
Seel

Route 2 (Surf)

Krabby

Cyan Caverns (Surf)

Wooper
Panpour (10%)

Suntouched Exitway

Timburr (1%)

Suntouched Exitway (Surf)

Piplup
Clauncher

Route 3

Sudowoodo
Seedot (15%)
Nuzleaf (5%)
Ralts
Kirlia (10%)
Petilil

Route 3 (Old Rod)

Basculin (Red) (15%)
Basculin (Blue) (15%)

Route 3 Hidden Grotto

Charmander
Pansage
Throh
Sawk

Route 3 Trade

Delta Scyther (Trade Steel Type) (Will cover next update)

Metchi Town

Marill Egg (Purchase for $3000)

Metchi Town (Old Rod)

Alomomola

If some of those lists look thin, it's because there's a lot of redundancies when it comes to surfing and fishing encounters. You can catch Tentacool on six different routes, for instance. Also it makes the lists easier to parse.

ALSO ALSO

Now that we have the first badge, the following items are now for sale from any pokemart:

Great Ball
Super Potion*
Ice Heal
Paralyze Heal
Awakening
Burn Heal
Escape Rope

* Technically have been available to purchase in Midna Town since the Ancient Ruins story beat. Available 100% of the time in Suntouched City

So see you guys...

NEXT TIME: Route 3, Metchi Town, and Secret bases too!

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

My first run used Gardevoir, actually. It was a mainstay of my team from the third gym clear through the postgame, and was one of three designated dragon killers I had. I'm not going to use one in this run for that reason. We'll also be finding Delta Ralts in a few updates, and I'm not going to use it either for the exact same reason. I'm trying to avoid the LP run from being identical to the one I've already done.

So yeah, I'm using an executive no on both of those. Sorry.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Couple things!

Firstly, you guys do remember that you can't change the nickname on traded pokemon, right?

Also a sneak peek for tomorrow's update.

The grind is officially over and the future looks glorious and bright.

Finally, I'm going to start asking that if you want to suggest I use a pokemon, you have to also nominate one to bench as well. So for literally everyone asking that I use the loving cake crab, who do you want me to sit in favor of using it?

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Well today was going to be an update day. Then I started my PC up and noticed that one of my drives did not join it. Did some investigating and the device manager is giving me this helpful error.

So naturally it was the drive with my recordings and all the LP files on it. It's nothing I can't recover from, and thanks to how I do my recording, I didn't lose really anything important.

But the update is going to be delayed while I 1) sort this poo poo out and 2) try to recreate what I did in game postfacto.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Hello everyone and welcome back. Thanks to hard drive failure, I lost all the files relating to the LP. All I have left is the game, the save file and a list of out-of-context URLs pointing at every image I've taken. As a result, this update is going to be kind of content lite, because so much of what I did I can't really recreate. If you want the TL;DR: we fought through Route 3 and entered the next town where we fought Nora.

You've now been caught up and can go about your day. For the rest of you interested, allow me to try and recreate the journey I took...

First off... Shuriken, Janine, Artix, and Zucchini all get benched.

Janine and Artix join the "Hall of Heroes" as reward for their invaluable service. Janine for being the only remaining of the original pokemon that I caught, and Artix for serving her role as "counter to the first gym" admirably.

Surfing in Insurgence works the same as in other...

:stare:

This is a bug that has been known about for years and has been planned to fix "in the next update" since at least 2017 if not earlier. "The next update" has yet to materialize. For what it's worth, this bug didn't surface in my original playthrough. But now instead of a Lapras sprite, we have a bald underwear-clad female player character ferrying us around on the water like an extremely creepy Charon.

I'll try to minimize the number of times we have to see this, because Jesus Christ.

Because there's not much to say about Route 3, let's talk about the trainers that appear on it.

Camper Joey talks about shorts being comfy and easy to wear and equates them with battle prowess.

Ruin Maniac Robin takes losing in stride.

Bug Catcher Ingram is a bug catcher, but is terrified of "real bugs" which raises all sorts of questions.

Sailor Buckbeard is talking about an area in a later route called "Maelstrom 9." He claims it's so deep that nobody has ever seen the bottom.

Just north of the sailor man is a path with some out of place trees.

This man here wants a Steel type pokemon. In return, he is offering his Scyther.

Delta Scyther is Ice/Fighting type... moreso the former rather than the latter. This is part of the problem with it. Ice is a very special-focused type, though it does have some physical moves. However, Delta Scyther and Delta Scizor don't learn a lot of fighting type moves, so you just have to rely on your impressive stats to carry you instead. Both have BSTs of 500, just with the stats shuffled.

It learns Vacuum Wave by default, Low Sweep at 21 and then nothing else fighting-type until Cross Chop at 53, and then Close Combat at 61. For Ice-type however, it learns... Ice Shard by default, Haze by default, Ice Ball at 25, Blizzard at 33, Hail at 37, Icicle Crash at 41, and Icicle Spear at 49. It also learns Psycho Cut and Night Slash both at 45.

You're starting to see the problem here. The last physical Ice move that either of them learn is the same move that I benched Anatomy for knowing because it's so terrible. Icicle Spear and Ice Shard are the only Ice moves it learns with 100% Accuracy. Then on the Fighting-type side, you're stuck with Low Sweep for so long, and the "replacements" are all 5PP wonders.

As for abilities, Scyther can have... Hustle (Attack +50%, Accuracy -20%), Ice Cleats (Speed x2 during Hail), or Super Luck (Hidden; Crit +1 stage). Scizor can learn Scrappy (Can hit Ghost-type with Normal or Fighting moves), Ice Cleats, Super Luck. As you can see above, Scizor also has a Mega Evolution. Mega Scizor goes up from 500BST to 600BST and gains Adaptability (STAB becomes 2x instead of 1.5x).

Honestly, I'd pass on it. I used one in my first playthrough from this point until just after the 3rd gym, where I benched it and never looked back. It's not terrible, it just has too many problems to be worth using in my opinion. For what it's worth, you need to trade Scyther while holding a NeverMeltIce to evolve it, which is a nice touch.

The one we have also has an Attack IV of 3. Not a great look for a physical attacker.

Moving on, there's a semi-hidden path over here.

It's a little more clear when standing up here. Just follow the path all the way back...

The honey for that sidequest was sitting here. If we wanted, we could go back to Suntouched City to finish the event and maybe catch another Delta pokemon.

This is Delta Aipom, and it's Ghost/Normal type. It's a physical attacker and it seems that most of what it learns are Status abilities. Great...? It's stuck using Astonish and Fake Out until 18 when it learns Fury Swipes. It gets Shadow Punch at 22 and then proceeds to never learn another physical Ghost move ever again. It evolves when it levels up knowing Double Hit (which it learns at 32). That's the last Normal STAB it gets.

On the upside, it's only weak to Dark-type moves. But then you're using something not very good at all.

As far as abilities goes, Aipom can have Cursed Body (Randomly disables moves used against it), Rattled (Bug, Dark, and Ghost moves increase its speed. Multi hit moves increase it for each hit), and Technician (Hidden; Damage of 60BP or less moves increased by 50%). In addition to Cursed Body and Technician (again... hidden), Ambipom can also have Infiltrator (Moves pass through barriers and substitutes).

Technician could make it usable, but don't forget that Hidden abilities are only available in the postgame. Hard pass.

Moving on...

Insurgence keeps asking questions and not presenting answers to them. Does it really matter why fairies are immune to dragons?

Between the sailor and this scientist lady there's also some more toxic sludge. Beyond it is the TM for Rest.

Just past the scientist and a trainer I skipped for some reason, we have Metchi Town. I've been anxiously waiting for the LP to get to this place because it's here where the grind finally dies.

In any other RPG this would be inviting disaster. But here it's actually true. Nothing ever happens here and nothing ever will.

In one of the houses, this man offers to sell us an egg for $3000. This will pop up in many of the towns from now on, and I'll try to call attention to it where I can. This is a Marill egg.

Secret Bases, unlike in RSE and ORAS are actually worth a drat in Insurgence.

More questions that Insurgence brings up but chooses not to answer. :sigh:

This lady gave us TM57, which is Charge Beam. Handy!

The game does its damnedest to push you toward getting a Secret Base.

Neat!

Speaking of Nora, she ambushes you once you cross the bridge and insists on a battle.

This is her team because we picked Delta Charmander at the start. We don't really have a good counter to Steel or Ghost, but everything else... Celebi is her ace here, and it didn't even get a chance to act because duranduran slammed that 4x weakness with Bug Bite, which he learned sometime during Route 3.

After we beat Nora, she informs us that she took the liberty of telling Damian about both Mew and Celebi. But she couldn't be bothered to tell him to keep his mouth shut. So she asks us to track him down in Vipik City to the South and tell him to keep quiet. Because she "has other things to do."

You can see where this is obviously going.

Part of me wants to tell the game to go gently caress itself and part of me wants to chuckle because that's actually kinda funny.

To the best of my knowedge, I've never run across them. So no idea. :shrug:

From the Kanto Region...

Why?

Oh, by the way, see those trees in the background? Those are berry bushes. Now you know.

This person gave us a Focus Band. It's nice, but I'll never use it.

This person has five very full text boxes about nothing that ends with a sales pitch about how we need to buy a Secret Base. NPCs like him always annoy me because they keep talking when you want them to shut up and go away because you got the point they were making two sentences in.

We'll head that way next time. For as important as Metchi town is (to me) there isn't much to do here. This town is also the cause of some really weird slowdown. It's fine if you aren't using speed hacks or turbo mode, but if you activate either, it slows way the gently caress down.

This lady gave us a Destiny Knot, which is cool.

Then finally across the river to the southwest of town is the daycare. We might make use of that later, but not without first vsiting Vipik City...

To the far east of the town is this unassuming little grotto.

When we first talk to him, this guy gives us a massive sales pitch about Secret Bases, and then finally offers to sell us one at $5,000. For the love of all that is good and holy take him up on that offer!

He'll ask you to pick a theme. I picked Forest because it's the default and looks nice.

The default normal sized base is way too big. It's larger than the town we started the game in! It's larger than Metchi Town! However, in the far back there's this little exit.

This is the much-lamented Friend Safari. It only works in the full-sized bases. There's also mini versions that are just a single screen in size, but thanks to some uknown bug, the safari simply doesn't work.

That's... unfortunate. Each Friend Safari only has 3 slots. One is unlocked by default, one is unlocked when you beat the 6th gym, and the last unlocks when you beat the Elite Four. One of our slots is wasted on something we could have from practically the start.

Our Safari is Dark-type, which could be cool. My first game had Steel-type, which is also pretty cool.

I've also confirmed that Safaris are one of the few online features that kinda work. I can't upload mine for you all to come invade, but ones that already exist can be visited just fine. It's kinda like Time Capsules in Subnautica in that regard. I could make a list of every pokemon that can be captured via Friend Safari, but it's a gigantic list, and some of them are kinda game breakingly good.

There's only one pokemon I'm going to capture in that way and it's specifically to act as a counter some Hot Bullshit later in the game. Otherwise our first chance to get one will be immediately after that bullshit and gently caress that.

Before I went onto Route 3, I spent some time capturing some pokemon. So let's go over what I found!

I never actually intended to catch this thing. A 1% encounter rate pokemon jumped out at me while I was trying to find a 30% encounter.

Speaking of which, this is azren the Piplup. He's yet another potential candidate to be a counter for that bullshit much later in the game. I still haven't yet worked out exactly how I'm going to tackle it yet, and it's a good 50-60 hours of gameplay away anyway.

I learned after the fact that Crosspeice already had a Nobunaga in his Emerald LP, but I think it fits for the actual samurai pokemon too!

I know it's not very good in the end, but I have a soft spot for the Lotad line. Pineapple Duck is such an out there concept that you just have to like it.

The reference I was angling for fell flat when I remembered that this is an Axolotl. But Muddy is a good name for it regardless!

Then finally we have Maneater the Totodile. And if you think that I'm going to stoop to linking Hall & Oates... then you're right.

We've also got some other friends too.

Here's the cake crab. Are you all happy now? Gateau is the nickname from the original trainer, and I can't change that. Even if I could, I wouldn't want to. Sometimes simplicity is best.

HenryDavid the Throh took 15 great balls to catch. Those stats are goddamned amazing, however and well worth the expense.

Thundervolt has the potential to on the lower end of middle of the road. I've never used an Electivire before, however. So maybe we can make something neat out of her.

Bitey has a nice potential. However his level up moveset is dire as hell. It's a loving cat leopard and it doesn't learn Bite. What the hell, Gamefreak? Bitey won't be on the team by the end of the update.

The man out front will let you swap out your Secret Base's theme with another free of charge. I decide to use the mini forest theme, and it's a lot nicer. Now... let's actually cover what makes Secret Bases so nice.

In addition to the usual decoration shenanigans, we can hire fourteen different employees for differing amounts of money.

Day Care Agent - If your daycare pokemon have eggs, this old lady will give them to you so you don't have to return to Metchi Town.
EV Resetter - Resets specific EVs of pokemon
EV Trainer - Per the wiki... "Helpful in EV training Pokemon by using specific Pokemon in battle to distribute the designated EVs. Costs $1300 per battle."
Fossil Maniac - Revives fossil pokemon for no charge and with no waiting
Flag Guy - You know that flag minigame from RSE and ORAS? Yeah, it's back. Whatever.
IV Changer - If you have an IV stone, this guy uses it to max out the specified IV of a pokemon.
Mart Worker - Sells whatever a pokemart does.
Move Deleter - Deletes moves
Move Relearner - For the cost of one Heart Scale, can teach your pokemon any move it once knew.
Name Rater - Change nicknames
Nurse - Free healing!
Pokegear Upgrader - Upgrades your pokegear to have a jukebox and to let you fight certain trainers on demand
Pika Taxi Guy - Travel from your secret base to anywhere on the map

LEVEL TRAINER

The level trainer is the big one. It's the reason I've been pushing through the terrible grinding.

The redhead is the level trainer. I'll let him explain himself...

You read that right. This is a trainer with 3 Audinos, and they're available in level increments of 10. We have 1 badge, so we have level 10 and 20 Audinos available. The more badges we have, the higher level we can train to. Once we have all 8 badges, he caps out at level 100 Audinos, which is way more than enough for story mode.

Thundervolt is a traded pokemon and is level 4. This fight would normally not be in her favor except...

The Audinos only know Healing Wish. It's a move that instantly KOs them.

So our cute little level 4 Elekid...

A single level 10 Audino jumped our level 4 Elekid ahead 11 levels. This guy has 3 of them.

The third Audino can't use Healing Wish, because the move fails if it's the last one. So it can't defend itself as a level 13 Purrloin slowly scratches it to death.

Grinding is officially over. In no time at all I can take literally any pokemon and forge it into something usable. This recording is just over 45 minutes, including walking through Route 3. The actual "level grinding" part is approximately from the 15 minute mark to the 45 minute mark.

In half an hour, I turned

this...

into this.

So let's close out the update by going over the new team. Remember, it takes literally no effort to change anyone out and train up their replacement. I have nothing but time and a growing podcast backlog.

duranduran is gonna continue to be a valued member of the team. Some day he will join the Hall of Heroes, but it is not this day.

Thundervolt is gonna evolve in a single level. She's already blisteringly fast, and that's only gonna get better as she goes.

HenryDavid has a lot of potential, and I can't wait to see how he fares against some stuff.

Chompy Boy is back on the team, offering some Water and Dark coverage. If I'm not mistaken, he's nearly ready to turn into a Sharpedo. He won't be able to mega evolve until after the 7th gym at the earliest, sadly.

Dracolich replaced Twister with Dragon Breath, but otherwise remains the same unmovable force of nature.

Finally the meme herself. I'm still not sure how to best use Gateau. I should probably replace Chip Away with Return and just coast with that, because STAB Return is a beautiful thing. Otherwise I'm curious how she's gonna work out as well.

And that's the team as it stands now!

Looking ahead, we have Route 4 and Vipik City with the second gym. So let's cover the new stuff.

Route 4

Abra
Ponyta
Doduo
Cyndaquil
Hoppip
Skiploom
Minccino
Furfrou
Delta Ralts

Route 4 (Hidden Grotto)

Squirtle
Poliwhirl
Panpour
Delta Sunkern

Route 4 (Old Rod)

Staryu
Barboach

Route 4 (Surf)

Mudkip
Wingull
Mantyke (5%)
Ducklett (4%)
Frillish (1%)

Vipik City

Togepi Egg ($2500)
Sneasel (Trade Floette)

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

I wouldn't trust them to make it usable. It's Ice/Electric type. I'll show off my endgame gardevoir to give an idea of how good it gets.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

This is the site I mentioned in the OP: https://pkmn.help/

Worst I've found so far trying different combinations is Grass/Ice giving 7 weaknesses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Hello everyone and welcome back. I wanted to show this screen to let you know how far along we are. Just shy of 15 hours is actually better than I originally anticipated.

Last update I was still recovering stuff from the crash, so I hadn't yet reinstalled RPG Maker XP. Here's the map of Metchi Town now that we're nearly done with it. Secret bases are on the far east of town, the pika taxi on the dirt path north, the exit is surfing south.

And if we ride our freaky water mount north...

This is just a little area hidden behind Metchi Town. There's nothing here yet except for a TM and a potion. There aren't even any wild pokemon encounters.

The door is locked and disused. So where are we?

This is the site of a sidequest in the postgame. We'll be back much, much, much later.

I'm making some preparations for later. This is back on Route 3, in front of the hidden grove.

Second try! Sometimes the items in hidden groves are worth checking out. I never think to post what can show up, because most of the time you're after the pokemon in them anyway. At any rate, we'll be needing that fire stone shortly.

Now that we have our evolution stone, time to surf due south.

Route 4 is both long and short at the same time. How, you might ask?

Here's a 1/4 scale shot. We enter from the top and Vipik City is off the bottom edge.

This is the only important thing that happened in the fight.

Thundervolt gained quite a few stats on evolving! Which is good, because she won't be turning into an Electivire for a while.

defeat you!

Dracolich is having trouble keeping up with the rest of the team. I'm gonna hold onto him until he turns into Charizard, but if he doesn't improve substantially, I'm gonna be hunting for a replacement sooner rather than later.

He takes on average between 3 and 5 hits to down something when hitting for supereffective STAB damage. Even the normally-impressive dragon moves are entirely underwhelming.

Anyway, after we take out the lying medium lady, time to go back north. You might have spotted the hidden grotto on Route 4 in the first shot. If not, it's right in front of Amy here. We're hunting for yet another Delta pokemon.

Only four resets this time! Not bad.

Delta Sunkern sucks. It's Fire/Poison type and looks terrible. Its stats are completely unusable, with a flat 30 across the board; 180 BST. It falls over if a Ground type so much as sneezes nearby. However, there's good news. Delta Sunkern and Delta Sunflora have the exact same moveset when leveling up, and it evolves with a fire stone.

I'm gonna use it. Sunflora has 425 BST, which ain't too bad for the early game. Its speed is still terrible, but HP, attack, special attack, and special defense all get substantial increases. It also gets a mega evolution that makes it extremely good, but the chances of us ever seeing the stone are so slim as to be vanishing.

As far as abilities go, Sunkern can have Flame Body (30% chance to burn on contact, makes eggs hatch faster), Analytic (boosts move power when its user moves last), or Poison Point (Hidden; Chance to poison on contact). Sunflora has the same. However, its mega evolution... that's another story. Mega Delta Sunflora gets Chlorofury (raises the user's Special Attack and Special Defense stat by 1 stage each.)

We won't be using him for long, but he's a key part of my strategy for the upcoming gym.

On the way back to check and see how usable Infector is, we find this little guy.

MudBath is okay. He's very alright. He's extremely not bad. Out of all the Mudkips that ever hatched, he sure is one of them.

Infector's stats are terrible, but I see potential in this disgusting oily blob. The ability is an unfortunate one. Normally I'd be pretty happy to get Flame Body right after unlocking the daycare, but it will literally not matter in about 5 minutes.

I can hear people getting angry right now. Dracolich and Gateau both went into storage for the time being. Gateau, being half fairy type, has zero business being anywhere near the next gym. It'd be like taking your Squirtle solo into Lt. Surge's gym.

Zucchini and Infector join the party instead.

Infector also blossoms into a... fiery sunflower-shaped oil blob.

Those stats are pretty good for level 10.

And while we're still in the pokecenter... do you remember very early on when I found a locked door behind the bookshelf?

Yeah, it's a shortcut into our secret base. So we can access it from any pokecenter in the game! :toot:

I also hire a pokemart worker while I'm in here. We'll be using their services quite a lot.

A short while later...

I forgot to grab a shot of his moves at the time, but here they are in his first battle. He's developed from a little puny weakling into an actual monster.

Zucchini also gets brought up to 30. He and Infector both are special attack powerhouses on the team, and they're gonna be doing the bulk of the lifting in the next gym.

Back on Route 4... you may have seen this house on the map I posted earlier.

Inside we find a Ralts.

Hooo boy. This is gonna take a bit...

This is a male Mega Delta Gardevoir.

This is the female variant. It is very important she have boobs, you see.

That's 28 different sprites from one starting point. I think that's the record, because Delta Eevee ain't a thing. Anyway, if you couldn't guess from the color palette, the Delta Ralts line is Electric/Ice type.

Ralts, Kirlia, and Gardevoir all have Lighting Rod (Draws in electric moves, gets +SpAtk from them), Clear Body (Prevents stats from being lowered), and Snow Cloak (Hidden; Evasion+ in hail) for abilities. Mega Delta Gardevoir gets Lightning Rod. Gallade gets Volt Absorb (Restores HP when hit with electric moves) and Ice Body (HP regen in hail). Mega Gallade gets Volt Absorb.

You don't need me to tell you why the Ralts line is so good. Electric and Ice are both predominately special types, and Delta Gardevoir puts them both to use with surgical precision. I used one through most of the game my first time through, and she only got better and better as time went on.

WhiteLightning wouldn't fit.

In fact, speaking of my old Delta Gardevoir... why don't we take a peek?

Lemonade is level 104. Look at those monstrous stats.

Ignore my lovely "EV training" and instead look at the IVs. She wasn't even particularly gifted in SpAtk and still almost breached 300 by the end.

Her only job was to kick rear end, and she did it very, very well.

Anyway, back to the LP in progress...

No idea my dude.

This Doduo will be the last of the temporary subs for the next gym.

What can I say? "Be strong for mother" never fails to make me laugh.

Thundervolt chews up water types for breakfast. Anyway, just past him is the city limits!

In 1/2 scale, the image was like 1200px across, so this is a little easier to stomach.

carries everywhere.

I'll give you three guesses what's on everyone's mind.

I don't think you'll need that many.

The local pokecenter is a huge one, so if we want to do any last minute training, we need to go upstairs to find the bookshelves.

His ace will gently caress up a fire type. Unlike Orion, Xavier doesn't really have a gimmick.

Thanks for the warning.

Stop lying. The fashion is the same between cities. So you can get the same clothes in Vipik that you could get in Suntouched.

This Volbeat gives us a bug gem.

If this sounds like Torren hasn't found a replacement for one of the gym leaders... it's because they haven't. The region only has 7 badges. To challenge the League, however, you still need 8. It's kind of a major problem.

Oh god, I'm gonna have to cover all the new fish available now. But on the upside, we have the next rod already! :toot:

This kid keeps talking. And talking. And talking.

These guards won't let us past because we haven't triggered the arbitrary flags necessary. It's a pity too, because there's some really nice pokemon to catch in there.

We can't leave the town because these two jerks decided to hold a conversation across the exit.

Sweet. These are always appreciated.

Elite Four status: still balls hard.

This is a Togepi egg.

This nice guy gives us a free Cleanse Tag!

I'm pretty sure this is the house next to the PikaTaxi. This guy is extremely important!

You read that right. For a nominal fee of $1 per step, you can pay this guy to take the number of steps required to hatch an egg down to 0. I wish I could hire him for my secret base, but it's worth the effort to come out to Vipik just to get him to sprinkle his magic pixie dust.

Floette starts appearing in a couple routes. It's not the immediate next one, but the one after that. You can also find them in friend safaris too. Sneasels can, likewise, only be found here and in a friend safari. This is a pretty decent deal, all things considered.

:jerkbag:

I just happened to notice this TM behind the tree. I never found it at all in my first playthrough!

Damian is patiently watching us run around the town.

Gym?

: So am I! I'm just getting ready.

That's an Abyssal Cult member behind him.

:doh:

: Umm... no! No, of course not! We would... Uh... no, we didn't.

Damian you're a terrible liar.

remember?

: Nora said there was a prophecy or something.

I think that's enough for now. I need something stronger than Dr Pepper before I can write about that gym...

But, we have the Good Rod now. So let's see what's new.

Shade Forest (Good Rod)

Tympole

Route 1 (Good Rod)

Skrelp

Midna Mine (Good Rod)

Luvdisc

If the lists look a little thin it's because the Good Rod and Old Rod encounters are largely the same. You can also find some pokemon that were previously only found in Surf encounter tables as well, but I'm cutting down on repetition.

NEXT TIME: Gym #2!