Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

The only part in part 4 that I wasn't too hot on was when Kira's dad started randomly making new stand users. That really felt like it was filler.

Granted there was some awesome poo poo like cheap trick and Enigma, but then we had the tower fight.

Monaghan fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Sep 26, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Expect My Mom posted:

Even this owned cause Kira got to fight a cat that turned into a plant and almost die of an embolism

Stray cat rules, because it's a unique stand and it has Kira playing the "hero." But a lot of the enigma fight isn't great and Superfly's fight is boring. Also the Janken kid had some neat rohan moments, but that wasn't enough to save the fight.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

You guys.

We're less than a week away from New JoJo Content.

:allears:

But we're likely two weeks from a new jojo opening, which sucks.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

The one that lets you steal other people's powers of you beat them at Janken, just because it's so oddly specific.

To me this is one of, if not the, most powerful stand in the series, since it can steal other stand's powers. If he'd gotten heaven's door everyone would have hosed. He could just use heavens door to another stand user, write in "use scissors in janken every time." boom, he's got that users stand powers.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I think David's pro must have made a deal with satan or something, how the gently caress do you get incredible op's 8 times in a goddamn row.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

YggdrasilTM posted:

Koichi can use which act he wants whenever he wants.

But we've never seen him switch forms.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Well poo poo, I totally forgot about those parts.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

just popping in to say that Giorno's theme was godlike and I want the OST yesterday.

That's all.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Johnny Joestar posted:

part 3 stands are kind of generally inconsistent anyways

Justice being beat by Star Platinum sucking it into it's lungs and somehow choking Ebanya is one of the most disappointing conclusions to a stand fight.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

anubis is more like cheap trick or super fly really.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Eponymous posted:

Wouldn't Chili Pepper be a lot better example of a stand that doesn't reflect its damage on the user? It gets cut in half, and the user didn't lose his legs or anything. Then it gets totally dissolved in the ocean and the user looks dead, but actually he's fine enough to run away and try to murder somebody right after?

Chili pepper only ever gets hit by a stand and his user's not around when that happens. So the rule could still apply.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I get jojo has some bullshit, but this fight was terrible. Jojo fights are fun when we see them be creative with their powers with clear understandable limits. It's almost like a mystery story- the readers want to think of a way the character can use their intelligence and ability to get around their enemy. this fight is just "I can do this now" to a ridiculous degree.This fight has Giorno do stuff he's never done before and relies on the following:

1) Giorno's can turn something into half an inanimate object.
2) Turning an object into something makes it immune to any diseases that are on the object.
3) Girno infected himself and somehow knew that Mirror man would grab him and drag him in before the virus killed him.
4) the snake will also generate antibodies to the virus that can somehow be transferred into a human.
5) This antibody will work instantly because the virus kills you in under a minute.

not to mention Giorno's whole plan relied on the snake following the guy, instead of, I don't know doing snake poo poo. The fight with Bruno at least had the half assed explanation of it being from his tooth and wanting to go back to it's original body.

Also minor nitpick but some of Jojo's fights are tiring when life threatening injures- like getting your hand cut off, is pretty much shrugged off next episode.

Monaghan fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Dec 29, 2018

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Avdol and Kayokin were pretty goddamn boring and the only thing people remember about Kayokin was that he likes licking cherries and the dumb milf jokes.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I think Araki really did learn his lesson from part 3 and I think part 4 really benefited from having downtime. you got to really see how Josuke and Oyukasu are good friends, by doing poo poo like grabbing Italian food and looking for lotto tickets.

That's actually a bit of a complaint I have with this show. I'd like some more downtime and allow for more character interaction not just them racing off to do the next task.I'm hoping that with all the main stand users abilities being shown off, that this'll happen.

Monaghan fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Jan 4, 2019

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Expect My Mom posted:

Yeah, what bugs me is that his job is part of his quiet life, it's his alibi, his mask, the place where he blends in. Hell he's respected there, women want to eat with him, guys try to drink with him. He even calls his boss in the middle of the final fight to say he'll be late. So "miserable" just feels out of character to me

Someone mentioned that this was Kira's new job, but he's also calling it in, because he doesn't want to get in poo poo or get fired for being late, thereby drawing attention from his wife. Plus, Kira suggests that Kosasu was a huge kiss rear end and Kosasu calling would be something he would have done.

I don't think Kira really cared about his work, other than the fact that it let him enjoy his lifestyle that he wanted and gave him the money to live in a decent house and to go on picnics with severed hands.

Finally, Kira's english voice actor is drat near perfect.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Didn't realize Remi's english voice actress was such a Jojo fan. She says jojo's her favorite series and even cosplayed as Jolyne from part 6 a couple of times. Good for her for landing the role.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I wanna know if Bruno's eyesight is all hosed up given that his eyes are now like 2 feet apart from one another.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Chase is an okay song but the visuals for that op are loving incredible.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Giorno's pretty boring when compared to Josuke and Joseph and at least Jotaro had the whole clint eastwood thing going on.

He's second only to Jonathan in terms of my favorite jojo.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Gold experience is the worst stand and everytime Giorno gets involved a fight, it takes a nosedive :colbert:

Sticky Fingers, Sex Pistols and Aerosmith all had better fights.

Monaghan fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Feb 5, 2019

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

punk rebel ecks posted:

Part 5 is just mediocre in general. Huge step down from Part 4.

Yeah I'm unfortunately coming to agree with this. The show needs some goddamn downtime, not just " okay let's keep going oops another stand attack." It's like part 3 all over again.

Part 4 was so great because we had to see poo poo like Kira dealing with family life. The antagonists showed up again and it felt like we got to know them. They weren't just killed at the end. I want to see these guys hit up a restaurant or just hang out.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

CJ posted:

Don't worry, Part 8 gets back to that sort of stuff. They should get round to adapting it in around 7 years.

I'm not saying it has to be slice of life, but the characters need to talk to one another more, because we learn like 90% about them from flashbacks. We didn't get big long flashbacks in part 4 but I can tell you ten times more about Rohan than I could about Fugo.

This could change in the future, but right now, it's not looking good.

Monaghan fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Feb 5, 2019

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Expect My Mom posted:

I mention in the OP that Part 5 is more inline with Part 3, mostly as a way to manage expectations, but I also really like that you can see Araki coming back after really shaking things up with Part 4 and then sort of wanting to do a do-over of Part 3, but with more experience. Sticky Fingers vs Gold Experience being the first fight is proof that Araki feels much more comfortable with Stands than Punch Guy vs Fire Bird

despite my complaining about some aspects, all the non Giorno fights are a massive improvement over part 3 fights. Even the Black Sabbath fight is great.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I am 100% convinced that Fugo was written out since Akarai realized that Fugo's ability made it basically impossible for him to contribute to fights in any meaningful way. His stand does not lend itself to creative uses .

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

the American health care system is such a cruel loving joke good christ.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Fugo's suit annoyed the hell out of me and his stand sucked, so I'm fine with him not showing up ever again.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

The part 4 dub got around to josuke burning down rohan's house. this was the part that cemented Rohan into my favorite Jojo supporting character.

gently caress part 4 was so good.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Kars survived being submerged in Lava and can likely do some absolutely crazy poo poo with his super power hamon.

Also no way in Hell is part 3 dio beating Kars. Kira's a maybe since he can just blow Kars up, I guess.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Half of Dracula posted:

Can DIO actually do anything to kill Kars even if he could stop time for a protracted period? Dropping heavy machinery on him doesn't seem like it's gonna do it.

not really, which is why Dio's hosed. Kars would only need to play defense until the sun rises.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Rohan since Rohan has one of the most OP stands in existence, second only to the rock paper scissors kid.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Creating life somehow includes body parts like a limb which is just dumb. His power set is way too broad.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Expect My Mom posted:

okay he Creates Organic Matter

Organic matter like a half snake half brick

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

All of the supporting character stands other than fugo rule

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Purple haze sucks since you can't do anything cool or creative with its power.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Sticky fingers is the absolute best since it allows extending punches, hiding from enemies, taking himself apart to fool a stand user, throwing poo poo out of planes and trains etc. There's so much cool poo poo you can do with it. All of these uses are instantly understandable given what sticky fingers powers are.

Monaghan fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Apr 9, 2019

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

How many times did Hermit purple win a fight by pulling a thing out of it's rear end. Other then maybe the empress fight, it never happened what with Giorno it's happened a couple of times already.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Expect My Mom posted:

imo fugo is cool

in a world of where guys drive cars off bridges or purposefully take their own bullet fire out of Resolve and A Dream, i like that there's someone else there that not only will not do those things, but can't. fugo can't make that step onto the boat and he can't make himself understand why all his friends can. and i think that's refreshing, but makes the other characters who can look even stronger.

Why is fugo cool.

Literally the only thing that made him interesting was him choosing not do something. It's not like he actively contributed to anything, other than the one fight. Even then it was Giorno doing most of the legwork. We have the backstory of him being molested and being angry, but even that amounts to nothing.

All he did was stand around in that stupid swiss cheese suit.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

It's hard to not spoil myself by reading all of this because this account is God drat amazing.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I read some random youtube comment, so take it with a grain of salt, but apparently there are 119 muda's during the 7 page beatdown in the manga and Giorono says muda 119 times during the same beat down.

If that's true, that's goddamn nuts of David Pro.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Kira is such a better villain than Diavolo Imo. The problems with Diavolo is kind of my problem with all of part 5. It's all fights and little character interaction. Like with Kira, we got to see him when he wasn't killing people! Even before the identity change, we saw him gently caress around at lunch, going to his favorite sandwich shop and spending quiet time at home. When the switch over happens, we see the absolutely insane lengths he'll go to cover his tracks. We see how he interacts with having to have a new family and he weirdly enough would be a good husband. but it'll never work given how incredible his drive to kill people is.

We even see how Kira's arrogance came into play. His dad clearly doted on him as he helped cover up his crimes. He was smart enough not to stand out. He's killed dozens of people without getting caught. It's no wonder why he thinks he's hot poo poo. However, his arrogant streak is ultimately what leads to his defeat
Even Kira's abilities are better. It has a nice contrast with the protag. Josuke heals, Kira blows poo poo up. It allows for Kira to be powerful but not invincible. He lucks out with his fight with stray cat. Also bites the dust, while powerful, isn't a godlike ability. Like all good jojo abilities it has specific rules and weaknesses.

I can hardly describe Diavolo at all. His background doesn't really lend any insight into his personality. He's born evil and maybe develops an alternate personality? He decided early on to stay hidden and get rich. Also, Akari was dumb for giving him such a broken ability, since it runs into the same problem that he had with Dio.

Look all I'm saying is that part 4 was god drat incredible and it's not surprising that the next part didn't live up to it.