Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Where can one watch the dubbed version of this (as well the series with the Pompadour JoJo?). Netflix has the series up through Stardust Crusaders, and they do a lovely thing where the audio is dubbed but the subtitles are from the original subbed version. I dig that, and I've been led to believe that the dubs persist through series 4 and 5, but Crunchyroll and such only have the Japanese audio. The latter dubbed seasons seem to only be on Adult Swim, which is an issue for me, as Adult Swim is region locked and I am not in the US.

Is there a streaming service that is not Adult Swim which carries it? I'd rather not get into shenanigans to circumvent the region lock, and I wouldn't even know where to begin looking for a VPN service with which to do so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I clicked the NordVPN link and it led me to a page telling me I had 10 minutes to make my order or the offer would expire. Yeah no thanks, I'd rather just give money to Lowtax or the forums directly.

And I googled Hulu, which led me to a Reddit thread explaining that Hulu has the Jonathan/Joseph season dubbed, but the subsequent seasons subbed, and that the only dub options were Adult Swim, DVDs and, for Stardust Crusaders, Netflix. Ah well, maybe Netflix will pick it up, or I'll get into the subbed version someday.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I don’t think you have to view JoJo as gay if you don’t want to, so long as we can all definitively agree that it is not not gay.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I have sorta mixed feelings on part 4. I loved the lower-stakes setting and more relaxed pace, especially since I'm now making my way through part 5, which does not seem like it's ever going to stop to catch its breath, but I was also really bothered by the odd color scheme and the yellow sky, and how every character who wasn't Koichi (and the chef dude, he was cool) was a deranged lunatic. Also compared to part 5 which is in Bella Italia and has more grounded and reasonable characters despite being actively devoted to ultraviolence.

I also miss the beefcake patrol. There's nothing wrong with moving away from that, but guys averaging a height of 195cm and the chest of a linebacker was kind of a JoJo thing.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Regalingualius posted:

I don’t know how you can say SC aged the worst when Part 2 has Literally Everything about von Stroheim.

"Aged poorly" means something has gotten worse or less acceptable since the time it was produced. Unless Battle Tendency was written 80 years ago, I don't think that applies.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I mean “total creep who abuses people with body horror crimes” is how 90% of JoJo party members are introduced, and only part 3 had the flesh bugs as an excuse. All Santviento had actually done before then was wake up in a cell in an armed compound and killed those who fired guns at him.

Even if it weren’t just nazis he’d killed, asking him to stop and talk was very much the right response.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Legitimately a good point. We also miss out on Joseph going "oh drat i just got brought back to life, time to play a sick prank on my grandson"

That, and Jotaro relenting because the potential world-eating vampire in front of him was aware of both Bo Derek and Weird Al Yankovic was probably the highlight of a very solid season.

multijoe posted:

That is the problem, Echoes is a Gold Experience tier Swiss Army Stand that can do pretty much anything with enough imagination and its given to the shy designated support guy, so of course it has to be mishandled and eventually needed to be nerfed because otherwise Koichi would end up overshadowing Josuke and Jotaro

Speaking of, whatever happened to Golden Wind's ability to reflect attacks target at it and punch people into delirium? Both of them just never show up after like episode 2. I'm assuming it's because its main power of being able to do anything was sufficient, but it's weird how quickly they disappear without comment.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Cioccolata is actually the specific guy I was thinking of, since I think he's the first enemy Giorno actually manages to punch. Not that there's much point to bringing up the delirium punch there, since he gets punched pretty dead.

I did enjoy how Rohan got foiled in ever increasingly specific ways despite his absolutely ludicrous stand, culminating in "if you flip this page you will die" from Bites the Dust.

FirstAidKite posted:

Not completely. It all falls into the realm of protection.

I think they mean that if all things created by Giorno reflect damage dealt to them, that would include any body part he has created. Such as his face after Baby Face stole parts of it. As it was introduced, those parts would be invulnerable and hurt anyone attacking them, meaning that the gang would be basically invincible once they'd gotten banged up enough times.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I haven't quite finished part 5 as I'm sticking to the dub release schedule, but I like it a lot more than part 4, possibly more than any other part, and I have no idea why. I should like 4 the most, because it has a lot of breathing room and slice of life episodes, while part 5 is all tension all the time, but something about Giorno's adventure manages to hit a spot that Josuke's doesn't.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Giorno is basically Jonathan as a modern JoJo, and I appreciate that about him. The only Dio in him is that he murders a couple dudes who had it coming, likes the word "useless" and that people are mesmerized by his effortess sexiness,

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I think that read is a bit on the cynical side, but I can't fault any part of the actual reasoning. The only bit I disagree with is compulsively keeping his hands clean. Polpo is the only person he plans to kill in a way that doesn't lead back to him, and it's not like he could have taken credit if he wanted to, given that it'd compromise Bruno and the gang. He very overtly kills Cioccolata himself, and takes full credit for offing Melone as well. I think that's the totality of kills that happen at his hand before the final confrontation, which isn't that weird given that half the gang has a stand power of "bullets."

He really doesn't interact with anyone except when he's pushing them aside to be a big drat hero. Part 5 really could have used a couple filler episodes that's just the gang shooting the poo poo and chilling, instead of being all stakes all the time from like three hours into Giorno meeting the gang.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Oh yeah. Also a pretty hands-on kill.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Regalingualius posted:

Granted, it’s still pretty hosed up that Tamami was totally willing to drive Koichi’s family to suicide over a petty con.

Also making sexual overtures at Koichi's teenage sister.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Bruno was just fulfilling his contractual obligation to be a massive creepwad, as he was fighting the protagonist before joining forces with them.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
The Hand has basically the same powers as Cream, the stand that killed more main characters than the World in the previous series. It's not quite as invincible, but it does have the very handy ability to pull things into its kill zone, and it's shown to be the one thing short of death that Crazy Diamond can't undo.

Okuyasu could be an absolute terror if he wanted to.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
He’s obviously got a terminal case of the deathgrip, which also explains his explosive temper and general bodily discomfort.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Eh, I don't buy it. How would Jonathan's body survive the boat explosion? Dio himself could barely recover that fast, let alone vampirefy a dead body at the same time.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
finger long

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I still have no idea how Josuke is JoJo. There's no "Jo" in Higashekita!

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

somepartsareme posted:

The 助 (suke) character in 仗助 (Josuke) can also be read as "jo". this is helpfully explained by the delinquents at the beginning of part 4!

It is not actually explained! They just say "hey, it says 'Jo' and 'Jo' lol they should call you 'JoJo.'" I know this because I remember being real confused by that scene!

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I'm two episodes into the Kishibe mini-series so far. No spoilers, but it's a nice little series of vignettes.

Though he says he's 27 in one episode, which means it's set 7 years after Diamond is Unbreakable. Why the hell is Koichi still a tiny little dude, and why is everyone else still hanging out in their high school uniforms? You're supposed to be adults at this point!

Also one of the characters had the same voice actor as Bucchiarati, which served to remind me that that is a man with a drat sexy voice.

E: Also the third episode is labeled "episode 5." Is this because every episode was two-part manga, or are they skipping over some of them?

Zulily Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Feb 20, 2021

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Alright that scans. Morioh just has tiny dudes, like also the pedo with the lock stand.

Except everyone wearing high school uniforms still. Rohan gets multiple outfits per episode and all the other characters showing up after timeskips show up wearing different clothes!

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Johnny Joestar posted:

we probably need a new anime thread now, especially one with an op that isn't permabanned

New thread, sure, but I'd prefer one with a permabanned OP.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Just a heads up for anyone who, like me, might not have realized there's a separate Stone Ocean thread or have been avoiding it for spoiler reasons, the first 12 episodes of series 6 have dropped on Netflix, possibly elsewhere also.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
this is the anime thread for Vento Aureo

the other thread is for the florida jojo