Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

HalloKitty posted:

That said, plenty of other customers I work with rely on us to restore their databases and yeah, just have to write a ticket or call to get things done.

There are some self-service possibilities in Veeam, licencing dependant there's even a web portal that can be used, but I imagine the IT department wants to keep people away from the backup as much as possible.
Hrm, drat.

The issue I have is that the system guys over at IT aren't exactly the brightest bulbs in the shed* and take their sweet time processing tickets, and they have flexible working hours. If our production planning software decides to blow up the database over night (when it does some in-depth optimizations), and I get in in the morning finding it in shambles, I can't be assed for them to turn up randomly and then take their sweet time processing tickets. FML I guess. Luckily the database fuckups are not really common.

(*: They do menial busywork like setting up accounts and printers and poo poo, but anything more complicated in our own infrastructure gets deferred to an external consultant. Recently I wanted a new Windows VM to setup a new version of our production planning solution. It's simply just creating a new VM in a few clicks and installing Windows Server into it barebones. External ticket, me with a thumb up my rear end for a whole week. When I needed some additional services installed, setup required the installation ISO, they had to write another external ticket for the consultant to mount a loving ISO into the VM. We have plenty of server racks and a loving iSeries sitting on the top floor, and no one knows how to admin this.)

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 11:32 on Nov 6, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Is having them grant you permissions to do self-service on your own stuff in Veeam not an option?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I only know Veeam by name, and same seems to apply to them, so no idea. I guess I'll hear something new the next time the consultants are here.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

This suggest you can, but I've not touched Veeam for years and it was never at any sort of scale

https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backup/em/em_vcd_self_service_restore_items.html?ver=110

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Dad keeps looking at me for tech solutions I don’t know, so I’m gonna push him off onto you.

quote:

I need a cloud service for back up and protection of electronic files, including all of our family pictures. Would you mind researching? The obvious choice is either Google or Apple, but I know that there are other services. Security pretty much comes with all of them to the point where I need it, price, of course, and ease of use. My estimate is that I need at least 2 TB… Pictures take a lot of space.

I asked him if he was looking for a service for recovery in case of failure or for regularly syncing files to the cloud, and he answered “both”, so yeah. I’m not sure if I should tell him to use Google Drive and just call it a day, or suggest something more complicated (offline backups are not gonna work for him at all, he’s too tech illiterate).

These would be just photos and some videos, maybe a few PDFs.

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Jan 2, 2023

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

If they're already an Amazon Prime customer then Amazon Photos will store unlimited amounts of full-res original photos. Just keep a watch out for TOS changes in future so you can jump to another service if needed.

Otherwise I've had good luck with Backblaze, which will back up everything on your PC and do incremental updates, email you if backups aren't working for some reason etc. You can't use it like a service to share photos from, but I'd trust it more than trying to turn Google Drive into a backup service because you can do point-in-time recovery of the entire drive if you want.

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

I don't see any American dream; I see an American nightmare.
I've been using Backblaze B2 and it's great, no complaints. But pCloud and IceDrive both offer lifetime plans. And for 2TB at $400 or 3TB for $500, that doesn't seem like a bad deal at all. Both these services seem pretty well reviewed and reliable, and I love the idea of nuking a monthly payment from my budget forever. Is there any reason not to hop on something like this, besides being locked into whatever business decisions they may make it the future?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

A Bag of Milk posted:

I've been using Backblaze B2 and it's great, no complaints. But pCloud and IceDrive both offer lifetime plans. And for 2TB at $400 or 3TB for $500, that doesn't seem like a bad deal at all. Both these services seem pretty well reviewed and reliable, and I love the idea of nuking a monthly payment from my budget forever. Is there any reason not to hop on something like this, besides being locked into whatever business decisions they may make it the future?

Said business decisions may include "whoops, nobody wants to pump in more funding now that ZIRP-fueled silly season is over, we're not profitable so we're closing down".

A supposed-lifetime deal always has that risk of course, just look at every MMO that offered one. But right now IMO is especially when I'd be a bit skeptical of a promise of a great deal, just give all the money up front.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Pollyanna posted:

Dad keeps looking at me for tech solutions I don’t know, so I’m gonna push him off onto you.

I asked him if he was looking for a service for recovery in case of failure or for regularly syncing files to the cloud, and he answered “both”, so yeah. I’m not sure if I should tell him to use Google Drive and just call it a day, or suggest something more complicated (offline backups are not gonna work for him at all, he’s too tech illiterate).

These would be just photos and some videos, maybe a few PDFs.

My take would be to go with iCloud+ if they’ve got an iPhone and Google Drive if they’ve got an Android. Just plain better integration, which is especially handy for photos. OneDrive might be a wild card option, but it definitely isn’t as nice as the other two in that respect. I’d probably avoid it in this context honestly.

I digress. iCloud has a Windows app if they’ve got a PC, and it works pretty well for storage purposes. Photos (and passwords and bookmarks and probably more) it does pretty poorly with, but iCloud.com does the job (but only for photos). Google Drive is largely fine too. I haven’t used it for much in a while though.

If it’s anything like it is with my parents the biggest thing is just getting them to use it. Anything even somewhat important should get stored there, preferably with some sort of organization.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

nitsuga posted:

OneDrive might be a wild card option, but it definitely isn’t as nice as the other two in that respect.

On Samsung phones it's integrated in the gallery.

And as a sevice I had better experience with Dropbox/OneDrive than Google drive. Unfortunately its maxes at 1TB. (but the family plan has 6 x 1TB so if your backup software can talk to OneDrive directly or use rclone you get more) Plus it comes with free Office.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Just a reminder to check and verify your backups. Computer decided to eat its own OS today, thankfully cron jobs and rsync did their job and all my files were on my NAS.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

My company has finally decided to set up a cloud backup instead of keeping all backups on-site. The server we would like to back up is on MacOS and we are looking at using AWS S3 Deep Glacier Archive. We have over 23TB of data for the initial upload, which we are planning on uploading using a Snowball drive. After that, we would do weekly uploads over the internet of any new/updated files (not overwriting the old stuff).

Does anyone know of any software would work for this use case? We currently use GoodSync for our on-site backups, but it does not look like it works with Glacier and certainly wouldn't work with the initial Snowball upload.

flappin fish
Jul 4, 2005

Machai posted:

My company has finally decided to set up a cloud backup instead of keeping all backups on-site. The server we would like to back up is on MacOS and we are looking at using AWS S3 Deep Glacier Archive. We have over 23TB of data for the initial upload, which we are planning on uploading using a Snowball drive. After that, we would do weekly uploads over the internet of any new/updated files (not overwriting the old stuff).

Does anyone know of any software would work for this use case? We currently use GoodSync for our on-site backups, but it does not look like it works with Glacier and certainly wouldn't work with the initial Snowball upload.

I haven't used it for your case, but you might try looking at rclone. It does support Glacier Deep Archive and has flags to only transfer new files. Their support forum is very good as well - someone there has probably done something like that.

Vertigo Ambrosia
May 26, 2004
Heretic, please.
Are there any free backup programs which do local backup and system image? I'm basically looking for Windows Backup but reliable, and I'm not interested in cloud backup. I can't really afford to buy something right now, but obviously I don't want to download anything sketchy.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Vertigo Ambrosia posted:

Are there any free backup programs which do local backup and system image? I'm basically looking for Windows Backup but reliable, and I'm not interested in cloud backup. I can't really afford to buy something right now, but obviously I don't want to download anything sketchy.

Robocopy + task scheduler + external hard drive?

Could also do a scheduled task for backup and restore to an external drive as well.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

When the freebie version of Veeam was called Veeam Zip it was capable of doing that

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
If you have a drive made by WD or Crucial, either as the source OS drive or the external target, you can get an OEM version of Acronis True Image that works with no restrictions as long as you have the OEM drive. This list is a bit out-of-date (samsung doesn't do it anymore) but might get you somewhere. Alternately, you can download an old copy of Macrium Reflect Free from before they put a time limit on it.

Both of those are generally talked about for cloning drives, but they'll back up an entire system image to a file and then do incremental images for future backups. That keeps your backup up to date with minimal time. OTOH they only do full images, in their proprietary format, so they're not the most flexible solution. But commercial software ease-of-use and free.

If you want plain files backup rather than an image, a number of years ago UrBackup was recommend to me ITT and I found it pretty usable. It's more nerd-ware than the above, and I didn't end up using it because it wasn't quite what I wanted. But it was very functional and worth checking out.

Catatron Prime posted:

Robocopy + task scheduler + external hard drive?

This is what I did for a number of years. Robocopy isn't a system image solution though.

Here's a post with a simple version of the batch file I wrote to do incremental backups with robocopy.

YarPirate
May 17, 2003
Hellion

Thanks Ants posted:

When the freebie version of Veeam was called Veeam Zip it was capable of doing that

IIRC veeam agent is still free if not managed by backup and replication server

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

YarPirate posted:

IIRC veeam agent is still free if not managed by backup and replication server

Vbr is free up to 10 instances too, so you can install it on a server, and deploy backup agents for all your machines from it