Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!

nielsm posted:

CLOUD SYNC SERVICES ARE NOT BACKUP! (Dropbox, OneDrive, and the like.) They have the same problem that changes synchronize, and it's often possible for an attacker to intentionally destroy your online data. It typically also only syncs data under a specific folder, not anything you choose.

This I don't get, at least in terms of SharePoint Online. I've had two different MS techs tell me on the phone and in writing that there isn't a need to have a backup if our files are on SharePoint Online, and that as long we let them know within 30 days, they should be able to get our data back. They also describe in https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/office/restore-a-shared-library-317791c3-8bd0-4dfd-8254-3ca90883d39a?ui=en-us&rs=en-gb&ad=gb

quote:

If lots of your SharePoint or Microsoft Teams files get deleted, overwritten, corrupted, or infected by malware, you can restore an entire shared document library to a previous time. The restore will undo all the actions that occurred on both files and folders in the last 30 days.

They also describe in their data resiliency page https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/office365/Enterprise/office-365-data-resiliency-overview

quote:

- Copies of customer data must be separated into different fault zones or as many fault domains as possible (e.g., datacenters, accessible by single credentials (process, server, or operator)) to provide failure isolation.
- Critical customer data must be monitored for failing any part of Atomicity, Consistency, Isolation, Durability (ACID).
- Customer data must be protected from corruption. It must be actively scanned or monitored, repairable, and recoverable.
- Most data loss results from customer actions, so allow customers to recover on their own using a GUI that enables them to restore accidentally deleted items.

Is there anything I'm missing that would leave SharePoint Online vulnerable to losing our data?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!

Klyith posted:

However, if this is critical business data you still have potential loss if something happens and you don't notice for 30 days.

It's honestly a huge improvement over what we had before. Our backups only incremented for 7 days and were literally using USB 2.0 WD HDDs plugged into any server not at HQ. HQ's backed up to a stupid-old SAN. And when were got crypto'd we lost most of the HQ backups because manager never tested the backups and fought testing them when pushed.

Weirdly enough most of our remote sites were recoverable, I suspect because those USB drives were all failing and their seek times were so bad there wouldn't have been time to encrypt them before everything got shut down.

Meanwhile the site I piloted migrating to SharePoint Online a week before had all their data accessible throughout the whole ordeal. Wasn't a headache and a half to get people to agree to migrate to SO after that, even if the ransomware was propagating via SMB.