Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

nielsm posted:

Recommended services
In the old thread, Duplicati was recommended often as a backup client, capable of many different targets. Especially pairing it with Blackblaze B2 cloud storage was suggested. In this setup, the software is free, and you pay per gigabyte per month of data backed up.
Other recommendations welcome!

I've seen Arq come highly recommended as an alternative to Duplicati - seems to do mostly the same thing but is commercial ($50) with support. Seems a good bit more user friendly than Duplicati (which can involve a fair bit of computer janitoring).

As far as cloud hosting for backups goes, I found Backblaze B2 to be prohibitively slow from Europe - we're talking uploads at like 150-200 kB/s here IIRC, and I'm on a symmetric gigabit connection. After crunching some numbers I went for Google Cloud Storage instead with the "coldline" storage tier. It's more expensive than Backblaze but uploading at 15 rather than 0.15 MB/s is worth it to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Splinter posted:

Does anyone have experience with UrBackup for backing up one computer to another computer over a LAN (like what the free version of CrashPlan used to do)? Opinions? Any other recommendations for software that can backup computers on a LAN?

Duplicati can back up to whatever you like but requires some setup on the receiving end - either a shared folder or an FTP server or whatever you like.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

revmoo posted:

Is there any cloud backup provider that

(a) has a linux cli app
(b) does incremental backups

I need to backup two linux servers and I've been looking for over a year and haven't found anything. Googling shows TONS of providers but they all seem to have significant drawbacks. I've probably evaluated 10 providers and have been unsuccessful.

Duplicati runs on Linux, its GUI is a frontend for the commandline interface, and supports incremental backups. It's just the backup software though, the cloud storage part you need to sort out yourself. It supports a whole bunch of providers out of the box so just go whichever cloud service you like - Backblaze B2, Amazon S3 and Google Cloud Storage are obvious candidates.

If you want a fully integrated solution there's Tarsnap, I guess, but their storage rates are very expensive.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Oct 31, 2018

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

MikeJF posted:

Is Arq more durable than Duplicati? I've been using Duplicati+B2 to back up the family PC and it seems to succeed in actually backing up about once a month or less; otherwise it trips over at the slightest sleep event or network hiccup.

I don't know, I've never tried it - Duplicati works well enough for me. On my machine the main backup set is around 120GB, but the backup job only takes 3-4 minutes (runs every six hours). The initial backup took a while, but the incrementals are really fast. I back up to Google Cloud Storage though and I have gigabit internet, so both upload and download are pretty fast. The log for my last backup event says it downloaded around 1.2 GB and uploaded around 450 MB, so maybe if your internet connection is slow that's what's making it take forever?