Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Pollyanna posted:

Dad keeps looking at me for tech solutions I don’t know, so I’m gonna push him off onto you.

I asked him if he was looking for a service for recovery in case of failure or for regularly syncing files to the cloud, and he answered “both”, so yeah. I’m not sure if I should tell him to use Google Drive and just call it a day, or suggest something more complicated (offline backups are not gonna work for him at all, he’s too tech illiterate).

These would be just photos and some videos, maybe a few PDFs.

My take would be to go with iCloud+ if they’ve got an iPhone and Google Drive if they’ve got an Android. Just plain better integration, which is especially handy for photos. OneDrive might be a wild card option, but it definitely isn’t as nice as the other two in that respect. I’d probably avoid it in this context honestly.

I digress. iCloud has a Windows app if they’ve got a PC, and it works pretty well for storage purposes. Photos (and passwords and bookmarks and probably more) it does pretty poorly with, but iCloud.com does the job (but only for photos). Google Drive is largely fine too. I haven’t used it for much in a while though.

If it’s anything like it is with my parents the biggest thing is just getting them to use it. Anything even somewhat important should get stored there, preferably with some sort of organization.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU