Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Is Duplicati + B2 still a good solution or should I consider another client?

I like Duplicati but I've been having an issue with one of my backup jobs. It keeps throwing errors for no good reason. Since I'm looking at it anyway has there been anything cool and good coming out in the last couple years that I missed or is it still the best?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Test the restore is right. I just realized I may not even remember the passwords for my personal backups or be able to execute the restore.

I certainly can't set up the backups correctly again in Duplicati. I built a new PC a few months ago. Haven't gotten around to setting up again till now and that's gonna be a whole thing.

Next time I get a spurt of motivation for PC backups, I should write my own recovery manual. I don't use it enough to retain the info the long lengths of time between setups.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Klyith posted:

This is 100% why I decided duplicati was too complex and needed more janitoring than I want to deal with. As much as automatic backups that preserve stuff in near real time to minimize gaps between backup and disaster is a laudable goal, it just wasn't worth the part where recovery is potentially complicated and backups seem to be specific to a PC / not always portable. I've been using the same file structure to store stuff for like 2 decades, I got files with last modified dates in 1999. I want my backup system to have that type of longevity.

As for remembering the password on your backups, if you aren't using a password manager that's another thing you should fix -- maybe even with higher priority than the backups.

Oh I use Bitwarden, but I forget to put the passwords in there.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

TOOT BOOT posted:

I found Duplicati to be buggy and non-intuitive.

:same:

I set a filter so it wouldn’t try to suck up OneDrive files because those are perpetually locked and duplicati gets pissed about those files. Still insists on trying to back them up and throwing the same error messages and completely ignores the filters.