Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

edit: nm

galenanorth fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Jan 18, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Last night, there was a grease fire on the fourth floor of my apartment, so I had to stand outside for an hour before the fire department told us it was all right to go back inside, but wait until the alarms stop going off to exit our rooms which have fireproof doors. I remembered to grab my external hard drive.

The next day I made my monthly backup, as well as a system image that reflects new installations (e.g. Media Player Classic) and Windows Update. I set up a "! Working directory" folder that automatically syncs to Microsoft One Drive, using the command mklink /j "%UserProfile%\OneDrive\! Working directory" "A:\! Working directory" from https://cloud.ubackup.com/articles/backup-any-folder-to-onedrive.html. Then I moved all the document files and textbook PDFs I remember editing within the past month or two. I'll mostly be working on just one document for the next six months while I study database design, so that'll save me from having to spend time and space on the monthly backups until I finish.

galenanorth fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Jan 18, 2021

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

I created a partition, B:\, for games so that I can use a system image to roll back C:\ after something happens like an update to a utility program (e.g. Microsoft Word, FoxIt PDF Reader) without rolling back B:\. I'm thinking about managing all the miscellaneous directories such as

C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Citra
C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Cuphead
C:\Users\<username>\Documents\Dolphin Emulator

I moved them to their installation directory and issued the following commands to create junction so that applications are pointed toward the new locations.

mklink /j "C:\Users\rache\AppData\Roaming\Citra" "B:\Program Files\Citra - Nintendo 3DS emulator\Citra app roaming data"
mklink /j "C:\Users\rache\AppData\Roaming\Cuphead" "B:\Program Files\GOG Games\Cuphead\Cuphead saved games"
mklink /j "C:\Users\rache\Documents\Dolphin Emulator" "B:\Program Files\Dolphin-x64 - Wii and GameCube emulator\Dolphin important data"

I'd have created separate partitions for the OS and installed programs, but I didn't want to have to hunt down all the data that the programs installed on the OS partition anyway

galenanorth fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Jun 26, 2021

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Thank you for that advice. I've bookmarked your post for later