Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
I'm trying to set up my home backup system and the options are making my head swim a bit in terms of how they might interact or interfere with each other.

Here is the setup: I want to have the various computers in the house backing up to the Synology NAS, and the NAS backing up those backups, as well as some centrally stored data, to a cloud service (B2, Glacier, Wasabi, etc.). Being able to centrally manage would be nice as well, as would having the same system across Windows and Linux clients. I want to get this as close to "set it and forget it" as possible and will tolerate extra up-front computer touching to make it happen.

I think using Veeam to back up the PCs to a network share on the NAS, and then using Hyperbackup on the NAS to push everything into the cloud, is the way to go - but am I going to run into issues of these services stepping on each other? Should I stick to something "dumber" for the first step (say rsync) and use NAS btrfs snapshots+HyperBackup to handle deduplication and versioning locally and in the cloud?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU