Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Someone tell me about Veeam and SQL Server.

Up until recently, using SQL Server Management Studio, we could restore any scheduled backups of our databases just fine ourselves with whatever solution the IT department used. But they switched to Veeam now (more like let a third party talk them into it and offer maintenance). When I trigger backups manually (which also seems to trigger Veeam, considering where they'll be stored), I still can restore them just fine. But Veeam's scheduled backups not so much. SQL Server Management Studio lists all scheduled backups Veeam has done, but verifying backup media and/or attempting to restore just fails. IT doesn't want to give us access to Veeam itself, either.

I guess this are how things are gonna be? On the off chance there's some database drama, write some stupid ticket and hope they react timely?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

HalloKitty posted:

That said, plenty of other customers I work with rely on us to restore their databases and yeah, just have to write a ticket or call to get things done.

There are some self-service possibilities in Veeam, licencing dependant there's even a web portal that can be used, but I imagine the IT department wants to keep people away from the backup as much as possible.
Hrm, drat.

The issue I have is that the system guys over at IT aren't exactly the brightest bulbs in the shed* and take their sweet time processing tickets, and they have flexible working hours. If our production planning software decides to blow up the database over night (when it does some in-depth optimizations), and I get in in the morning finding it in shambles, I can't be assed for them to turn up randomly and then take their sweet time processing tickets. FML I guess. Luckily the database fuckups are not really common.

(*: They do menial busywork like setting up accounts and printers and poo poo, but anything more complicated in our own infrastructure gets deferred to an external consultant. Recently I wanted a new Windows VM to setup a new version of our production planning solution. It's simply just creating a new VM in a few clicks and installing Windows Server into it barebones. External ticket, me with a thumb up my rear end for a whole week. When I needed some additional services installed, setup required the installation ISO, they had to write another external ticket for the consultant to mount a loving ISO into the VM. We have plenty of server racks and a loving iSeries sitting on the top floor, and no one knows how to admin this.)

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 11:32 on Nov 6, 2022

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

I only know Veeam by name, and same seems to apply to them, so no idea. I guess I'll hear something new the next time the consultants are here.