Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
I've got a heap of archived data that the company won't let me delete for various reasons, but I'd like to get it off of live storage so I don't have to keep expanding "expensive" storage and don't have to keep backing it up locally. I'm thinking of dumping it all onto S3, and I'm wondering what people do for backups of this type of data. It's not critical enough that I have to worry about redundancy beyond the default 3 AZ's, the only thing I'd be protecting against is someone (me) accidentally pressing the wrong thing and deleting/overwriting something. Would S3 versioning be enough for that use case, or should I do something more?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
Does Glacier protect against someone fat fingering something and wiping a directory?

The glacier lock write-once thing is overkill, I'm hoping that at some point I will actually be allowed to delete the stuff.