Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

victrix posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMze46sIwdc

More good stuff

I'll leave off Duneposting after this, there isn't even a thread for it on the forums, but for anyone interested, that dude is making really good videos and commentaries on live mp games, and the mp community is small but active so it's there if you're interested in some slowtime rts multiplayer

Thanks for this. I've recently got into really learning how to play Dune and I've been having a blast. I'm able to consistently beat the AI with Hedge or Choam. Still have yet to get a governor or conquest victory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dubLEs
Oct 9, 2019
Has anybody had a chance to play Total Rush? I've been looking for an experience that distills the large-scale battles of a Total War game into something quicker and more arcade-y. I'm iffy on the card mechanics, however. Does anybody have any recs for me on something similar?

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop

dubLEs posted:

I've been looking for an experience that distills the large-scale battles of a Total War game into something quicker and more arcade-y. I'm iffy on the card mechanics, however. Does anybody have any recs for me on something similar?

You can try Winter Falling! I found it real fun and I've seen people compare the overall feel to Total War.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1285060/Winter_Falling_Battle_Tactics/

It's got a unique command system because you can't just send out orders to your units willy nilly; you have a small selection of messenger birds you have to use to send out orders. Different birds have different cooldowns, number of orders that can be sent simultaneously, etc. It really makes you think about when and where you tell your troops to go or activate abilities.

It's still in early access but it's got a lot of potential.

skaianDestiny fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Mar 25, 2024

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007

skaianDestiny posted:

You can try Winter Falling! I found it real fun and I've seen people compare the overall feel to Total War.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1285060/Winter_Falling_Battle_Tactics/

It's got a unique command system because you can't just send out orders to your units willy nilly; you have a small selection of messenger birds you have to use to send out orders. Different birds have different cooldowns, number of orders that can be sent simultaneously, etc. It really makes you think about when and where you tell your troops to go or activate abilities.

It's still in early access but it's got a lot of potential.

This looks cool, but should I be worried that the last update was a December post noting that the upcoming big update needs to be delayed until January, then radio silence for 2024?

Loddfafnir
Mar 27, 2021
The solo dev is really unlucky lately and has a ton of health issues

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop

Quixzlizx posted:

This looks cool, but should I be worried that the last update was a December post noting that the upcoming big update needs to be delayed until January, then radio silence for 2024?

Yeah he's still posting updates on his discord server, it's just as said he's been suffering from real life problems.

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007
Ah, hopefully everything works out for him.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
New Starship Troopers DLC coming in June.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KdKurIZA78c
I haven't actually played the first one, planning to let them build up.

Mordja fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Mar 27, 2024

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Mordja posted:

New Starship Troopers DLC coming in June.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KdKurIZA78c
I haven't actually played the first one, planning to let them build up.

It's probably nice, but I just want the proc-gen/endless mode they said they'd implement 2 years ago. I'm not interested in more story missions, I just want a skirmish mode to hop into and conquer randomly generated maps.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you
Hey, I'm into it! Nice

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Dramicus posted:

It's probably nice, but I just want the proc-gen/endless mode they said they'd implement 2 years ago. I'm not interested in more story missions, I just want a skirmish mode to hop into and conquer randomly generated maps.

Check out Infested Planet for a more lo-fi take on this game with randomly generated missions!

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Deakul posted:

Check out Infested Planet for a more lo-fi take on this game with randomly generated missions!

Hey, that looks neat. I'll pick it up next time it's discounted.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee

Dramicus posted:

Hey, that looks neat. I'll pick it up next time it's discounted.

It has a Let’s Play here on the forums.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3987644

I highly recommend it. Highly underrated, it is not a timeless classic but I easily got 131 hours out of it.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Age of Mythology/Warcraft 3 mashup Godsworn just went into EA. https://store.steampowered.com/app/1328990/Godsworn/

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
Sega sold Relic?

What's that mean for the future of CoH?

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

davecrazy posted:

Sega sold Relic?

What's that mean for the future of CoH?

The announcement said they're still working on supporting their games. Idk if that means they own the IP now or at least have a license for it or what.

Longer term? Who knows. Relic's recent owned output doesn't seem like the sort that could keep a game company afloat - hopefully they can land some good contract work. Or maybe Microsoft can buy them and collect one of the last remaining RTS Pokemon.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Yeah I was musing on it and tbh Relic getting sold was a better likely outcome than my actual expectation, which was outright closure considering how badly CoH3 did and how their influence over AOE4 got diminished

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

toasterwarrior posted:

Yeah I was musing on it and tbh Relic getting sold was a better likely outcome than my actual expectation, which was outright closure considering how badly CoH3 did and how their influence over AOE4 got diminished

Yeah, apparently that's been grossly misrepresented. Relic's been responsible for all the DLC content, Forgotten Empires has had more of a support role with playtesting and map design.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Well hopefully Microsoft keeps them on moving forward, because right now they have fuckall in terms of IP and the first AOE4 expansion showed they still got the chops, even if their work on COH3 is very disappointing as someone who was hoping for a good SP experience. And yeah, I even waited for their campaign revamp and it's still not that great.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

I am really bad at strategy games and RTS games, but I picked up Dune Spice Wars on sale and I'm really enjoying it.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

if anyone gets around to Godsworn I would love some first impressions. The pitch is great but "two person indie RTS" is kind of a hard sell

lispy-goon
Jan 9, 2019

drat Dirty Ape posted:

I am really bad at strategy games and RTS games, but I picked up Dune Spice Wars on sale and I'm really enjoying it.

That game is one of the few that actually gets better AFTER leaving EA. That major patch after release really fixed the game

Now, if only they'd improve Freemen wormriding "animation".

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

lispy-goon posted:

That game is one of the few that actually gets better AFTER leaving EA. That major patch after release really fixed the game

Now, if only they'd improve Freemen wormriding "animation".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=knRO3xGZF7k

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

drat Dirty Ape posted:

I gave it a try almost at random because it was on Game Pass and I’m surprised at how much I’ve been enjoying it. The almost boardgame-esque way territory is controlled and built out coupled with the politics/espionage systems and alternate victory conditions means it’s really scratching a 4X itch for me, but in a game goes for like 60-120 minutes rather than loving forever.

Amazing Member
Apr 4, 2008
I'm glad more people are picking up Dune, it has surprised me how fun and fast it can be. Watching 4 player FFA's are engaging. There's politicking, tech considerations, expansion concerns... and it does it all well enough with some lag causing slight slowdowns at end points sometimes.

I was surprised I didn't see a thread here for it.

Each faction is just so interesting with its own mechanics, Fremen are my favorite at the moment, but each style has its own drawbacks.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Fuligin posted:

if anyone gets around to Godsworn I would love some first impressions. The pitch is great but "two person indie RTS" is kind of a hard sell

I really enjoyed the demo they had last year, haven't tried the early access release yet.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

I've also been playing Dune. It definitely scratches the itch of wanting to play a Dune game after watching the movie, and it's pretty well polished now.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
I also thought that the Godsworn demo was solid. The fundamentals were all there. Not really my type of RTS, but it seemed totally fine.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Mode 7 posted:

I gave it a try almost at random because it was on Game Pass and I’m surprised at how much I’ve been enjoying it. The almost boardgame-esque way territory is controlled and built out coupled with the politics/espionage systems and alternate victory conditions means it’s really scratching a 4X itch for me, but in a game goes for like 60-120 minutes rather than loving forever.

Yes, it really is like a deep, fun, fast paced, board game. I was also in the mood for a 4x and chose this over a few others and I'm glad I did.\

Amazing Member posted:

I'm glad more people are picking up Dune, it has surprised me how fun and fast it can be. Watching 4 player FFA's are engaging. There's politicking, tech considerations, expansion concerns... and it does it all well enough with some lag causing slight slowdowns at end points sometimes.

I was surprised I didn't see a thread here for it.

Each faction is just so interesting with its own mechanics, Fremen are my favorite at the moment, but each style has its own drawbacks.

I have not tried Fremen yet because I just choose Corrino every time. I just love Princess Irulan and Hasimr Fenring. In general I like factions that can build 'tall' and Corrino is great at it. You get to airdrop in a new capital city, kick peoples rear end with Sardaukar, and gently caress around with the landsgraad at will.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Hows the Conquest mode in Dune?

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Dandywalken posted:

Hows the Conquest mode in Dune?

It has a general cycle of 1 normal skirmish (can be pretty long) followed by 3 shorter gimmick missions (in the literal sense) which force you to play in a particular style, then another normal skirmish. Repeat until you win.

Each territory has associated bonuses for holding them. Every victory lets you choose from other bonuses that serve to accelerate future missions. For example, you normally need to train troops to take nearby villages when you start a match; if you befriend the Fremen, they will send you units at the start of missions that are more than sufficient to conquer your starting villages, saving you some manpower for other things like spice harvester crews or militias.

I've completed two conquests so far, they take about 5-ish hours to do. Each great house has one and they get different bonuses specific to their houses. So they feel and play differently.

I like it, but I mostly just play skirmish mode as I enjoy the core game a lot and don't necessarily want gimmick missions, or to be forced to play in certain styles.

drat Dirty Ape posted:

I have not tried Fremen yet because I just choose Corrino every time. I just love Princess Irulan and Hasimr Fenring. In general I like factions that can build 'tall' and Corrino is great at it. You get to airdrop in a new capital city, kick peoples rear end with Sardaukar, and gently caress around with the landsgraad at will.

You should try Smugglers, because they also build tall with their underworld network. Basically you expand into key areas until your scaling authority cost becomes unreasonable, then you spend your authority by setting up criminal networks in enemy cities and siphon off the resources they are producing for yourself. It's a different kind of tall play-style that discourages you from conquering the others. You don't ever need to take fuel cell provinces because you can just steal them from other factions.

Dramicus fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Mar 31, 2024

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

Motel Midnight off the hook
I’ve been playing Dune to scratch the Dune itch and having fun - it’s a super chill game. Some RTS games are way too stressful haha.

Maybe I’m just used to other 4X and RTS games, but I feel like the combat in Dune seems really shallow? You only have a small variety of troops, no vehicles, and bases can tank a stupid amount of damage.

I guess combat isn’t the main focus, but surely they could add a few - missile ships, or battle thopters, or tanks - which of course would attract worms and make things more interesting.

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

Red Rox posted:

I’ve been playing Dune to scratch the Dune itch and having fun - it’s a super chill game. Some RTS games are way too stressful haha.

Maybe I’m just used to other 4X and RTS games, but I feel like the combat in Dune seems really shallow? You only have a small variety of troops, no vehicles, and bases can tank a stupid amount of damage.

I guess combat isn’t the main focus, but surely they could add a few - missile ships, or battle thopters, or tanks - which of course would attract worms and make things more interesting.

The combat is what turned me off of the new Dune game. They put so much great work into everything else but the combat sucks poo poo. It kind of reminds me of Dawn of War 3's.

lispy-goon
Jan 9, 2019

Red Rox posted:

I thought so at first too, until I played some multiplayer games and got obliterated by some players.

Apparently, there are ways to build your army to counter stuffs, using the Armory feature. A player who knows how to use this can create a build that literally melt enemy armies in seconds (speaking from the experience of being on the receiving end).

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
The combat in Dune is good, actually. There's a lot of thought that you can put into your unit & upgrade compositions. And there's a reasonable amount of micro that you can employ to drastically alter the outcome of fights without needing 800apm starcraft skills.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I think the combat in Dune is well done in that it's extremely easy in that sort of game to make the army building and combat the overwhelmingly dominant style of play, and what they've done is make it serviceable and something that you can leverage to get real advantages, but is actually resource constrained like any other strategy and doesn't let you snowball. It is simple enough to be unobnoxious to someone who wants to primarily play with spying or the politics end of the game and that's the right pitch.

In other strategy game news, Falling Frontiers got a new trailer. This is one I've been following for a while as a potential 'actual next step on from homeworld' space strategy game. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Js-opGjTlX4

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Apr 2, 2024

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

Alchenar posted:

In other strategy game news, Falling Frontiers got a new trailer. This is one I've been following for a while as a potential 'actual next step on from homeworld' space strategy game. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Js-opGjTlX4

I'm baffled one guy is building this game.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Well, he's got an artist now...

And tbf I'm sure there'll be a bunch of contract houses littering the credits.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Was Stronghold Warlords any good? I've got a hankering for some Sengoku/Edo Japan RTSing that isn't Total War.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Deakul posted:

Was Stronghold Warlords any good? I've got a hankering for some Sengoku/Edo Japan RTSing that isn't Total War.

It's alright, a typical, solid stronghold game. Except there's nothing particularly Japanese about the game. It mostly depicts ancient China and Chinese architecture, units, etc.