Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

VostokProgram posted:

Is the emoji meant to imply that this is actually a bad choice

It's a bad game. Some people still enjoy it.

Honestly, if you absolutely must have Napoleon, it's one of the better options for that, but if what you want is that style of combat, Shogun 2: Fall of the Samurai does it better. I mean, it's Japan and anime and kawii, but it's still the best Total War game released prior to Total Warhams.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Cynic Jester posted:

It's a bad game. Some people still enjoy it.

Honestly, if you absolutely must have Napoleon, it's one of the better options for that, but if what you want is that style of combat, Shogun 2: Fall of the Samurai does it better. I mean, it's Japan and anime and kawii, but it's still the best Total War game released prior to Total Warhams.

Yeah I already have Shogun 2 and fots but I am specifically looking for Napoleonic stuff lol. Want to paint Europe blue and destroy perfidious albion

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I'm always on the lookout for hard(ish) sci-fi games. I'm currently looking at Celestial Command which has been in early access for 4 years but gets almost weekly updates from very talkative devs. I've also played some Children of a Dead Earth which is Kerbal: Space Skirmish but doesn't have much going for it outside of its linear missions.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Impermanent posted:

It's got a sci-fi spinoff sequel coming out next year but you should really give Age of Wonders 3 a shot now because it's an amazing game that a lot of people slept on

Nuuvem has a ridiculous 75% discount this weekend on the AoW3 collection and you totally sold me on it, thanks for the protip

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Huh, looks like the Tiberium Dawn remaster is being done by Petroglyph.
https://www.pcgamer.com/command-and-conquer-and-red-alert-remastered-are-being-developed-by-former-candc-devs/

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

they got frank klepacki for the music too

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile

Davincie posted:

they got frank klepacki for the music too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBOD8qeCBuc

Hnnngh

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Kane lives in death????

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

If you call that living...

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
Oh lord what happened to you Kane

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile
Botox is a hell of a drug.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

I've been playing Dawn of the Tiberium Age lately, it's a pretty fun was to scratch the old C&C itch.

Goddamn I hope they don't gently caress up the remaster.

I didn't see Deserts of Kharak mentioned anywhere, that's one of the best RTS games I've played in recent memory and the single player campaign is super atmospheric.

bij fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Nov 15, 2018

Pathos
Sep 8, 2000

Potential BFF posted:

I've been playing [url=https://www.moddb.com/mods/the-dawn-of-the-tiberium-age]
I didn't see Deserts of Kharak mentioned anywhere, that's one of the best RTS games I've played in recent memory and the single player campaign is super atmospheric.

Deserts of Kharak is really excellent and it pains me that it didn’t sell very well. The storytelling is, predictably, absolutely excellent and I’m loving hoping that team is doing something else Homeworld related.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I adored Deserts of Kharak and thought it was an amazing return to form for the Homeworld universe. I also thought it was the slickest-controlling RTS I've played too, everything just felt so responsive.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I got Deserts of Kharak on a whim, and it was so goddamn good that it got me to buy Homeworld Remastered. Sadly I'd rather play Deserts of Kharak again than continue on with HW.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:
http://www.humblebundle.com/store/sins-of-a-solar-empire-rebellion

Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion, now available for free from Humble Bundle (if you sign up for the newsletter) for a limited amount of time.

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
I wish they'd have just made more campaigns for red dragon, even if it was simply being able to play as the other side. I haven't tried Steel Division yet, but maybe I'll try 2 if the single player has longer legs.

I realize they aim more for the multiplayer market but I can't even bother to log on when I fire it up due to the unavoidable and probably most racist loving game chat being half of the menu screen

Edit: yeah wrong thread my bad

mods changed my name fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Nov 15, 2018

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
Yeah I really liked making a specialized force and joining the biggest team games and doing my thing, but the Venn diagram of horrible shitheads and military hardware fetishists is basically a circle.

Related, I think 'team based game where you pick a specialized subset of units' might actually be the future of RTS, should anyone every decide to pursue it.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile

Relax Or DIE posted:

Related, I think 'team based game where you pick a specialized subset of units' might actually be the future of RTS, should anyone every decide to pursue it.

This is what Co-op Starcraft 2 is and it is great.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

Relax Or DIE posted:

The irony is that this was called Myth and was done back in '97. What goes around comes around.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009

Relax Or DIE posted:

Yeah I really liked making a specialized force and joining the biggest team games and doing my thing, but the Venn diagram of horrible shitheads and military hardware fetishists is basically a circle.

Hey that's not true at all, theres plenty of other varieties of shithead than military fetishists :v:

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Relax Or DIE posted:

Wasn't this kinda what tiberium twilight tried to do

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

And World in Conflict successfully did :smuggo:

May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
Yeah some games have done it - World in Conflict/Ground Control, Myth (as mentioned) etc.

I guess I was thinking more like

Cynic Jester posted:

This is what Co-op Starcraft 2 is and it is great.

It still has the base building and resource gathering, but you're picking a character with a set of abilities and units. Also release the Myth games digitally cowards

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
Personally I'm just a sucker for games that have your dudes level up and carry over

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Relax Or DIE posted:

Yeah some games have done it - World in Conflict/Ground Control, Myth (as mentioned) etc.

I guess I was thinking more like

It still has the base building and resource gathering, but you're picking a character with a set of abilities and units. Also release the Myth games digitally cowards

So like Company of Heroes then? Another franchise we can safely assume will never see the light of day again.

And in what's been an odd year in nostalgic retreads Ubisoft has announced that they're re-releasing all The Settlers games in honour of the series' 25th anniversary. I don't think they've updated anything graphically or mechanically but they should now work on modern machines (although how they don't specify).

Currently only available through Uplay and their website below:
https://store.ubi.com/ca/the-settlers-history-collection/5b647011ef3aa548048c5977.html?lang=en

I'm pretty sure it's available now, but the website is so god awful I can't tell what's going on. You can apparently also purchase each title separately if you only want certain ones.

Pathos
Sep 8, 2000

Oh my god what I would do for another Myth game. I love Myth / Myth 2 so loving much. We never talk about Myth 3.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
I think a modern Myth game would be pretty profoundly different from Myth 2 (the gold standard of Myth). The combination of slow pace and simple units just hasn't been seen since. The consistent game design trend is to speed everything up and add a billion special abilities to every unit.

e: I think Dawn of War 2 is the closest thing I've played since Myth, and that was definitely a case of special ability creep.

Corbeau fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Nov 16, 2018

May 8, 2006

Has anyone played Ashes of the Singularity? Fanatical has a bundle deal for it going on right now: https://www.fanatical.com/en/bundle/ashes-of-singularity-escalation-bundle

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
In the pantheon of TA-likes it's not bad. Better than Planetary Annihilation, worse than SupCom. The Escalation update added some much-needed complexity, and it's still being updated with new units and tech. I think it's got quite a few solo campaigns too, if that's your bag.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Crosspost:

Mordja posted:

I still have a 50% Total Warhammer 2 coupon that expires tomorrow, hit me up on PMs or a trade request at https://steamcommunity.com/id/lord_mordja if you want it.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

Pathos posted:

Oh my god what I would do for another Myth game. I love Myth / Myth 2 so loving much. We never talk about Myth 3.

I missed the boat on the Myth series back in the '90s. I looked it up and watched a few Let's Play episodes. My first impression is that it seems just like MechCommander 2 and the Dawn of War series?

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

Another good tactical game that people might not think of off hand would be darkest dungeon.

Old strategy games! Back in the day I remember this rts game called KKND2 (Krush Kill 'n Destroy: Krossfire). Looking at that title now, I'm seeing way too many K's, but it was a pretty fun game. Post apocolyptic setting, you've got 3 sides to choose from: vault dwellers (normal dudes), mutants (no high tech, insults dwellers with 'symmetrics'), and the series 9 robots (agriculture robots that have gone homicidal against all forms of humans now that nuclear war has destroyed their reason for existing). Decent amount of campaign stuff, the three sides play quite differently. I haven't played in a long time so no clue how it holds up!

Majesty is a great tactical/city builder..ish game. The game is broken into scenarios that give you a starting setup and some constraints (usually on tech/buildings available) and a specific goal (which could be anything from 'raise X amount of gold in 30 days to pay a ranson' to 'here's a giant pile of stuff, defend yourself against waves of enemies'). You're the king, and you can build buildings and order upgrades and hire heroes and stuff. The big departure is that heroes sort of loving go around and do their own thing (each class has different weights to its AI), though you can entice them to attack a specific target or explore an area by placing a bounty. This game is stupid fun, you can pick up the 'gold edition' (includes expansion and graphics updates) for like $10. The later missions can get really rough, I have no idea how the multiplayer was.

NetStorm: Islands at War is a .. rts game but not in the way you're thinking of. It is so hard to really describe the gameplay loop if you've not experienced it, but essentially you build bridges (which pop in a queue that you can choose from, and after being in queue a while go from damaged to normal) connecting to resource deposits or just jockying for space, and then you place attacking buildings on your bridges to attack your opponent. Attacking buildings (of which there are a huge variety) have specific strength/range/target shapes. You can also build defensive buildings (which range from force field generators to just a big rear end hp building). Your goal is to incapacitate the enemy high priest, have one of your goons haul him to your altar and sacrifice him aztec style. The campaign is decently long, I hear the multiplayer was good but I stress too much to really play rts games multiplayer much. Seems to sort of be abandoned by activision in terms of buying it. If that doesn't put you off its a pretty neat game, and fairly unique gameplay-wise from changing what is malleable and what is static compared to standard rts games.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

netstorm is when you play tetris, tower defence, and capture the flag at the same time

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

Love Stole the Day posted:

I missed the boat on the Myth series back in the '90s. I looked it up and watched a few Let's Play episodes. My first impression is that it seems just like MechCommander 2 and the Dawn of War series?

"Just like" would be a bit too strong, though they share the (poorly populated) real time tactical genre. Mechcommander and DoW2 both had a lot of additional logistics between missions - selecting loadouts and abilities, choosing which units to take on each mission, etc. While your surviving units carry between missions in Myth (and experience makes a big difference to unit effectiveness) there is zero gameplay between missions and your unit set is pre-chosen for each individual mission based on the theme. It drops the logistical layer in favor of being able to tailor each mission to the specific units that the designers knew you'd be bringing. The resulting tactical combat is deeper than DoW2 or Mechcommander, and the later missions expect you to explore that depth in order to win (at least on higher difficulties). Myth also had a more convincing presentation of it's story IMO - the journal narrator did a superb job in both Myth and Myth 2. It's a much older school of game design, one that didn't offer as much personal expression in your avatar or army.

In multiplayer, however, at the start of each game you got to tailor what units you'd bring to the match. The specific units available varied by map, but there was a substantial chunk of strategy around what you brought and how you used it (particularly in large team games). The team captain (chosen in the game lobby) would choose units and then choose how to parcel them out among players. Some players preferred to specialize in one or two types of units, some players/strategies would give one player a small but versatile combined-arms force (usually for solo flanking). It was a lot more flexible than modern games, which have developed a lot more structures to guide players. Myth just kind of gave you tools and set you loose to do whatever. There were also a ton of different game modes in multiplayer, usually revolving around objective flags in some form (KotH, LMotH, Territories, Flag Rally, CtF, and Assassin all having different rules and all being common in tournament games).

And then there's the mod potential. Myth followed the pattern of many games back then in having incredibly robust modding tools to ensure the game's longevity. While I mostly played multiplayer back then, there were a bunch of extremely well made single player campaigns - many with classic Myth units and some with totally new unit sets. The modding scene also shone for multiplayer coop maps of every difficulty, though most gravitated to the crazy hard maps for a challenge. I remember that there was a coop-only clan that existed back in 2000 that still has some of the same people online to this day. Hell, there were a couple maps from the early/mid 2000s that were eerily similar to how DoW2's Last Stand mode turned out.

Corbeau fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Nov 18, 2018

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

they were actually making a new game like myth. it got stuck in early access though and then development stopped without it ever getting a real release

https://store.steampowered.com/app/346930/Deadhold/

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

Davincie posted:

they were actually making a new game like myth. it got stuck in early access though and then development stopped without it ever getting a real release

https://store.steampowered.com/app/346930/Deadhold/

Surprised I missed this. Then again, thinking a bit, it surprises me that they even tried. I love Myth to death, but you would need to make alternations to the formula to compete with modern games. Looks like Deadhold is a near carbon copy in gameplay. With the exception of ragdolling, it looks like a Myth 3 mod with generic fantasy units.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
I was really disappointed when Deadhold was cancelled, but yeah, it probably wouldn't have been great. I'd love a small scale fantasy RTS like that.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
I love old strategy games, however these days I don't play them much, maybe I should do some write ups on some of my favourites.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

Found a post-mortem that the lead developer wrote on the game: https://steamcommunity.com/app/346930/discussions/1/1634111706739056191/