Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

UCS Hellmaker posted:

Star ruler 1 is an insanely complex RTS game that can be hard to get into but Star ruler 2 is probably one of my favorite strategy games in the last few years. Fixed many of the more obtuse issues ! did while adding very novel and unique functions that added tons to the game. Its a cross between 4x and RTS gameplay where you manage almost everything in your planetary empire including how the ships are made hex by hex. Ships can literally be the size of stars which also can be destroyed.

Due to almost no press on release the devs went under after releasing the 1 planned expansion, however they did release the source code earlier this summer with everything but the music tracks included (soundtrack is awesome). The devs were goons who posted a ton about the game before and after release and pretty much delivered everything as promised they had hoped for.

https://github.com/BlindMindStudios/StarRuler2-Source source code direct from the devs

Star Ruler 2 was criminally underappreciated; I think people might have just taken a look at the interface (which did look super low budget) and assumed the game was indie shovelware, when in actuality it was a really clever and fun game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Mordja posted:

Uh, XCOM2?

For XCOM it's true story wise but I'm not sure it really counts at a gameplay level, since the tactical fights are more or less symmetrical and the aliens don't really have a strategic game.

As an alternative suggestion, maybe AI War?

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

I notice AI War 2 is out. I did enjoy the first one, but Arcen games was pretty famous for questionable design decisions in their later games, so I'm a little cautious.

I remember the first game used to have a bunch of active goon players, has anyone tried the sequel yet?

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

LLSix posted:

Any tips for Shadow Empire? I played about an hour today and it's not clicking with me so far. Not having any iron or any way to get it in my starting zone is probably not helping.

Having a metal deposit to mine is the best, but it's only guaranteed at the lowest difficulties. You can also salvage ruin hexes for metal, and you always start on a ruins hex (with a private salvaging operation going). If that's your only starting metal source, you probably want to nationalize it ASAP, clicking on it should give the option. If you have other ruins hexes or sources of metal I actually like to leave it privately owned, it will help your private sector take off while also providing you a little bit of various resources in taxes for free.

Shadow Empire is a really tricky game to learn, but when you do it gets quite fun. You could try one of the LPs if that sort of thing helps you learn, Saros has a good one here.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

jng2058 posted:

Maybe, though I might as well go get Dominions 5 in that case.

Despite sharing some assets they're very different games, for what it's worth.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

doctorfrog posted:

Thanks for the input. I'm pretty poo poo at strategy games, but this one looks like something pretty special to be bad at.

If it looks interesting to you, go for it. It's actually one of the funner games I've played lately and I think the genre being niche is the only reason it's not a bigger hit.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

habituallyred posted:

If you don't have metal build or buy a steady supply. Metal mine or recycling operation, don't forget to buy machines. Industry is a good second choice.

Playing from tech level...4? the second one. Gets you a decent starting city, with no fear of missing out on discovering solar panels by completing 3 researches.

If you're on the default low tech start with a planet without a biosphere or water you pretty much have to focus on water -> food -> metal. It isn't obvious but you need food to feed your workers, not your total population (civs are assumed to produce their own food), so jumping straight into metal can death spiral your economy as you hire on thousands of workers without enough food to feed them.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

VictualSquid posted:

I need some recommendations for nerdy strategy games on PC with good out of the box controller support.
It is for my father who is bedridden, and has to strain to play his normal games with keyboard and mouse. No mods or games where you need to keep a cheat sheet for the controller commands. Also, no anime games.

Here is a summation of his tastes:

I rarely play with controller, and when I do I go for a Disgaea or AW related game, which he doesn't like.

I haven't tried Terra Invicta with a controller, but it's listed as Steam Deck verified at least. And between all the grand strategy games and >1000 hours in Xenonauts and Shadow Empire it seems like it might be up his alley.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

feller posted:

Xcom2 does, so does every 4x. I’ve also heard good things about playing stellaris on it.

I think AoW4 is decent on a controller and might interest him.

I can definitely recommend AoW4 as a game, I haven't tried it with a controller.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Anno posted:

Anyone else ready to bounce off of another Dominions game next week?

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2511500/Dominions_6__Rise_of_the_Pantokrator/

The irony here is I've had Dominions 5 sitting in my library for years never played, but I'm still super tempted to pick this one up on release day.

To be fair, I got enough playtime out of Dominions 3 that it still averages out as money well spent even if I bought every game in the series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

esquilax posted:

Dominions 6 is adding single player diplomacy!

There are now supposed to be options other than forever war including non-aggression pact. Still looks to be extremely bare bones but it's a start.

I'm actually excited about this. Once upon a time I played Dominions (3) multiplayer, but these days I am casual and afraid of being kickstomped so I kinda want to play some low pressure single player even though I know that's not really where Dominions shines.