Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Generals was really, really good about that. We played a number of LANs where I used the sneaky terrorist faction to become a night unkillable thorn in everyone else's side due to my dozen or so invisible bases.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Milo and POTUS posted:

This is true but you will never experience the ecstasy of victory over a tryhard and the subsequent death threats

I’d never experience that anyway because I am bad at video games.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Samopsa posted:

total war

Total War games are only sort of RTS. They're definitely similar but are also very distinct from Starcraft/Total Annihilation.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
There was a similar (but worse) game but you were a future warrior commander guy. I had it when I was a kid and I remember driving around in the tank you could summon but I can never remember the game.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Yes that’s the one. It owned when I was like 13.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

chairface posted:

I have similar bad news about Godfather 3, Master of Orion 3, Star Control 3, Karate Kid 3...

I will not have Sensei Terry Silver besmirched in this thread without a reckoning!!!!

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
I wish they'd make a new Zero Hero.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

toasterwarrior posted:

Anyone playing Dune Spice Wars? New update brought out Conquest mode and it sounds cool af. I'm familiar with Northgard so I know how this dev makes their games but I've been waiting on it to get further in development before pulling the trigger.

It's pretty alright, I never played Northgard but I enjoyed Spice Wars. That said, I'm a big nerd for Dune and I liked the graphics, and haven't seriously played an RTS since Dawn of War. So ymmv.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Slaan posted:

Is BAR any good compared to TA or SupCom FAF? I've been hesitant to pick up any new ones in the genre to avoid the disappointment I had with SupCom 2

BAR is really good, also there is at least one goon who contributes to it. It's very fun and I spent 45m building a giant death laser that could fire across the map on a big hill for no other reason except that I could.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Punkin Spunkin posted:

I was gonna say, this seems pretty standard. I mean it's what civ v does and I even add mods to increase the AI cheat advantage sometimes since it's not like I can make them much smarter. I don't necessarily want an AI to be playing the game I'm playing.

I don't need the AI to be playing the same game that I'm playing, but I should be able to have levers to affect it that make logical sense to me. If the AI has endless gold, then I can't ruin their economy, or I need the ways I have to try and ruin their economy to set them back in a manner that makes sense. If the AI isn't limited in terms of unit production the same way that I am, I still need a lever to gently caress with their ability to field a full army every turn, etc.

It's a tricky problem.