Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
Star ruler 1 is an insanely complex RTS game that can be hard to get into but Star ruler 2 is probably one of my favorite strategy games in the last few years. Fixed many of the more obtuse issues ! did while adding very novel and unique functions that added tons to the game. Its a cross between 4x and RTS gameplay where you manage almost everything in your planetary empire including how the ships are made hex by hex. Ships can literally be the size of stars which also can be destroyed.

Due to almost no press on release the devs went under after releasing the 1 planned expansion, however they did release the source code earlier this summer with everything but the music tracks included (soundtrack is awesome). The devs were goons who posted a ton about the game before and after release and pretty much delivered everything as promised they had hoped for.

https://github.com/BlindMindStudios/StarRuler2-Source source code direct from the devs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
Anyone try the new 4x xenia ark? It any good?

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal

Jazerus posted:

yeah idk why total annihilation style gameplay never really caught on. i guess it's true that supcom was niche and planetary annihilation flopped, but i feel like supcom released in the shadow of wc3 custom map stuff that eventually spawned mobas, and planetary annihilation just wasn't a well conceived or executed project from the start as far as I could ever tell

please, somebody, save the genre with a total annihilation remaster

TA was absolutely amazing and the best part was how easy it was to mod and add stuff. The total rehaul stuff, or additions of things made the game so much fun to play. Map stuff was also amazing, and the ability to have three actual functional types of warfare was so different to other games. The actual balance of the multiple types of warfare is still something that games struggle with.