Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

appropriatemetaphor posted:

After playing TA where after some insane multi hour battle the whole battlefield is just clogged with so many wrecks you'd have to nuke them to clear a path to enemy...then going to Starcraft where at the end of a match the map is just empty was a shocker.

Got a unit cap have to build houses can't just pump out basically infinite robots??

I've very recently gotten into Beyond All Reason and playing it makes me want to weep for the creativity this genre lost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I would say that BAR is excellent TA, but I miss some of the stuff that Supcom had (didn't like Supcom 2 which felt like a step backwards). I watched a lot of Supcom FAF during lockdown which I felt strangely soothing to watch, and I like the midgame stability that Supcom has before everyone starts their lategame pressure, where as with BAR it feels like most games one person will slip up slightly and the result will sudden immediate collapse and fail cascade across the team.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I do wish Planetary Annihilation hadn't whiffed.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I think the combat in Dune is well done in that it's extremely easy in that sort of game to make the army building and combat the overwhelmingly dominant style of play, and what they've done is make it serviceable and something that you can leverage to get real advantages, but is actually resource constrained like any other strategy and doesn't let you snowball. It is simple enough to be unobnoxious to someone who wants to primarily play with spying or the politics end of the game and that's the right pitch.

In other strategy game news, Falling Frontiers got a new trailer. This is one I've been following for a while as a potential 'actual next step on from homeworld' space strategy game. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Js-opGjTlX4

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Apr 2, 2024

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

IShallRiseAgain posted:

GiantGrantGames did a survey (didn't post his methods, so take it with a grain of salt), and the overwhelming majority of RTS players are only interested in single player campaigns, yet a lot of newer RTSes are outright skipping them because they want to focus on the competitive scene.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XehNK7UpZsc

It's been a truism forever that 8/10 video game players will never touch multiplayer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Anyone played Classified 44?

It quietly launched and is already getting sales and seems to have been pretty well received.