Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Phigs posted:

Is ultimate General worth it if you like strategy games but could not give the slightest poo poo about the American Civil War, both in the war itself and the overall period it was set in?

Basically I'm happy to play a strategy game that really brings it or does something really interesting regardless of setting, but if the setting has to carry any of it I won't be interested in a civil war title.

Still probably yes. It's an interesting approach to that kind of warfare and drawing lines to order units around is satisfying. I think that if it wasn't trying to be historical it could have a slightly better campaign with a little more variety in the missions, but even as it is there's a decent range of different kinds of battles, though towards the end of the campaign it gets a bit samey.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Tankbuster posted:

I love playing as the union and being unable to bring manpower advantages to bear.

I love it when the Confederates just sort of summon more men from nowhere!!!

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
The game is probably worth it just to play the historical battles as one-offs using the historical OOBs even if you ignore the campaign. I liked the campaign for what it’s worth but I agree it gets silly especially towards the end, you can keep smashing Confederate armies and they keep summoning up more for the next fight.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
That looks pretty sweet

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Are those literally just Red Alert 1 assets (aside from the worms etc) or did they make their own copies?

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Flipswitch posted:

Total War: Pharaoh seems like it might be neat, but I didn't get on very well with Troy.

Not tried Total Warhammer 3 as I'm not much of a Warhammer junky, seems like the best TW in a long while has been 3 Kingdoms which is excellent.

Warhammer 3 is pretty good, and you can probably click through the dramatic shouting about chaos winds and murder magic if it bores you. The battles are a little different than other TWs though, except I think 3 Kingdoms had a mode where the named characters are combat beasts that can solo whole groups of enemies? The Warhammer total wars are like that too, some hero units can charge straight into a mob.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Chuck_D posted:

Wtf is with game names these days? Waroni? Come on. Was that the sequel to Warghetti or Warvioli, I forget? Oh, no, it was Warvatappi.

Chef Boy-War-Dee

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
I thought we knew about that one already, but I had it confused with Mechabellum. I went to the steam page and checked the notes for the most recent patch and saw this:

quote:

• Destroy tornadoes with artillery or missiles – a tornado has a 50% chance to disappear upon contact with an explosion

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Milo and POTUS posted:

Idk about single player or multiplayer for that matter but CoH2 was a shockingly interesting game to watch comp. Did 3 make any splash at all?

I don't know about the comp scene but I wouldn't be surprised if it's picked up a lot of CoH2 players because... honestly I was surprised by how similar they are despite the years between releases. I think CoH2 felt more different to 1 than 3 does to 2.