Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Fallom posted:

Total Annihilation with a fantasy theme, you say? Perhaps Kingdoms?

I fully acknowledge Kingdoms was pretty bad and derivative - though not moreso than 99% of fantasy -, but I still have a soft spot for it. The artwork and designs was pretty good? It is definitely a game I'd love to see resurrected.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

A Year of Rain is in EA now. Any takers from our steemed forums? Reviews suggest there are quite a few technical problems with the game.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Mordja posted:

The announcement trailer spans from antiquity to the Revolutionary War so who knows.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYwZ6GZXWhA

Calling it now, Age of Empires 4 will be from Victorian Era to Modern Warfare, so a quarter of the game will be Company of Heroes 3.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

The best Star Wars RTS is the Total Annihilation mod, by the way.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

A Year of Rain is dead.

https://steamcommunity.com/games/319540/announcements/detail/1692726369386052405

I didn't buy in but was mildly curious at an attempted indie Warcraft 3. Turns out this was one of those cases where they needed EA money to complete the project and didn't get the sales needed to get across the finish line. Trying to make a MP and e-sports focused game probably didn't help.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Kris xK posted:

I would like to know more...

God I love TA back in the day. If theres a good reason to reinstall...

That'd be SWTA! Still hosted in the eternal TAuniverse. There is a Spring version too, but I haven't ever played it.

gently caress, now I am going to reinstall Total Annihilation.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Mordja posted:

Not quite. It adds its own versions of a couple things like the Monkeylord (removed from the current release, to be added in a future, big T4 update) but the majority of its unit concepts are new/from the TA community. TA Zero is also a good one, it's got Starcrafty faction asymmetry with TA's far superior gameplay mechanics.

Color me curious. Is that TA Zero related to the standalone Zero-K game?

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Love Stole the Day posted:

Here's a released indie Warcraft 2: https://store.steampowered.com/app/946660/Loria/

It has a free demo and I thought the campaign was fun.

On a related note, again, Tooth and Tail is super underrated.

Oh yeah, I tried out the demo and it's pretty fun. Will probably get it next sale cycle. I'd call it more of a Warcraft 3 in Warcraft 2's clothes, to be fair, given the hero mechanics work in the very same way.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Panzeh posted:

The alternate history path in panzercorps 2 is kinda wild:

Powerful avatar/username/game/post combo.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Zero-K is a free TA successor and the campaign is pretty didactic.

And yeah, TA is a surprisingly modern game for something that's over 20 years old, partly because the RTS genre developed in a different direction than the one TA and SupCom were going for.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

redreader posted:

Did anyone here ever play TA Spring? It was so, so good.

Hell yeah, it was. I am enjoying Zero-K as its contemporary incarnation (on this thread's rec), which is also the answer to this question:

Milo and POTUS posted:

Wasn't somebody working on a freeware standalone or was that spring

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Mordja posted:

He might also be talking about BAR, which I posted a while back and is more like TA.
https://www.beyondallreason.info/

Oh, that looks pretty sweet!

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Yeah, I remember spending a lot of time in the sea maps of TA, specially Shore to Shore. Man, just talking about that makes me want to boot it up.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Mordja posted:

Yeah I'm no fan of Zero-K. The skirmish AI is also just miserable to fight against.

I am really enjoying Zero-K, but I also played TA in MP back in the day, so I guess I am the target audience?

Speaking of, the greatest RTS of all-time, Total Annihilation, is free to keep on gog.com for the next ~46 hours or so.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

victrix posted:

I'm trying to dig up a game on steam and for the life of me I can't find it

Here's what I can remember:

Turn based, hex grid, bright colors almost mobile looking, maaaaybe elemental factions (can't remember specifics), Asian devs (but I don't know which country or language).

I can't remember if it is or was in EA, and I don't know the exact release date but I want to say within the last year or two.

Not a lot to go on, I've been scouring steam and I can't find it again :saddowns:

Lost Technology?

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

I really want to like Iron Harvest, but yeah, it plays like a slower CoH from the demo I played back then. TTK is a lot longer and units don't feel quite as responsive as I'd like them to. No idea on actual balance because I didn't play enough. It does feel like a game that can be fixed with patches, because the fundamentals don't appear to be bad.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

mortons stork posted:

I'm getting a hankering to play through Sacrifice again. It's an old game, and it didn't garner much recognition, to the point it ended up being its company's swansong, so to speak, which is a drat shame. I don't think I have seen it mentioned here in this thread, but it's one of my favorite strategy games and also very, very unique, both art direction wise and gameplay wise. I might do an effort post in a few days as I gather my thoughts on it if there's any interest in it.

It is great and I feel the same way about it. Actually looks pretty decent on modern resolutions thanks to the fantastic art direction and it doesn't feel dated to play because there isn't anything like it as far as I know.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Every time I replay I end up going with Jim. Partly because I appreciate his initially laid-back posture better as I grow up, but mostly because his high level spells are some of the coolest stuff I've ever seen in a videogame to this day.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Flail Snail posted:

I'm looking for a new tactical game a la X-COM but haven't managed to find much ever since Steam's "related game" functionality became a bit poo poo. I've got pretty much all of the X-COM games, including the series stinkers Apocalypse and Bureau. I've got (and have enjoyed) the Mutant game. Additionally, my interests lie with something a bit more like Depth of Extinction - there's no real time limit, you can find (rather than "purchase") new party members through play, your party members can gain new abilities as you progress, and there are side quest type things you can do - but a bit less mind-numbingly samey as that game's missions. Is this another white whale to add to my pile of white whales?

Have you tried Troubleshooter? It is essentially a JRPG that uses the tactical format of XCOM. You do get party members as the campaign advances, they also do get new abilities and masteries as you progress (and you can customize these in a very modular faction) and there optional missions you can do, though I am not sure if that's what you mean by side quests. The game is better translated than the store page, for what's worth, though it still has the occasional Engrish here and there, so if you don't mind the relatively anime aesthetics and enjoy tactics games I'd very much recommend it, it has a very solid tactical layer. It also manages to do what XCOM fails, in that mid-late game is meaningfully harder than the early game. Your party members do get their share of bullshit abilities like in XCOM, but the opposition is capable of throwing bullshit right back at you too.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Any enterprising goons tried Dwarfheim yet?

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Mantis42 posted:

What are your go-to civilizations/cultures in strategy games set in our world? I tend to gravitate towards Spain, Italy and China a lot of the time. If it's a Paradox game I'll check out the Indian thunderbowl too, but outside that I don't prioritize them.

e: if it's an ancient setting then the Egyptians.

Yeah, I am also guilty of favoring Spain and Ancient/Classic Egypt in most historical strategy games.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Cicero posted:

Holy poo poo someone made a remake of Battle Realms??

...but why?

No but seriously, that's very surprising.

It is not only a remake, but it is in active Early Access at what seems like a more than fair price. It is a project from the original lead dev, so I assume it is a real passion project for him.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

ninjewtsu posted:

i really want a modern RTS that doesn't follow the starcraft/warcraft micro design and doesn't have a hard pop cap (or at least not a frustratingly low one, let me have over 1k units!). i don't think there's really any options besides planetary annihilation? game's pretty fun but the single player AI is just frustrating to play against and i'm getting tired of trying to wrangle people into playing this somewhat unpopular game with me, is there anything else?

Try Zero-K, it is on Steam, free and was spun off from TA Spring. It is very much MP/Skirmish focused, but the campaign is fun enough.

It is also much much better than Planetary Annihilation.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Yeah, that looks hella cool and they've shown they've got what it takes to make a classic RTS with Loria.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

drat, that's a bummer.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Sacrifice is one the greatest games ever made, no joke.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Mordja posted:

Peep this imgur thread I found and see how many you even recognize:
https://imgur.com/a/EVtHnpJ

I just discovered that my new rule for friendship is refusing anyone who goes more than two of those images without recognition.

toasterwarrior posted:

The Dark Colony intro is insanely violent, it kinda owns and also does not own in that I'm sure it desensitized a lot of kids, including me :v:

The 90's was such an awesome time to be a kid. There was so much over the top violent stuff aimed at boys.

ZearothK fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Aug 16, 2021

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Love Stole the Day posted:

My favorite part about this is that it isn't made by Blizzard. Wishlisted and will buy when it comes out of Early Access.

edit: Also, Iron Harvest >>> Deserts of Kharak.

now that's savage, respect

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Corbeau posted:

An indie game that claims this is almost certainly going into the trash bin given the odds of gathering a large enough multiplayer playerbase.

This is not an indie game. Crossfire is a huge game franchise in East Asia. The main game is literally the most played game in the world. It has a TV series and is going to get a movie this year.

ZearothK fucked around with this message at 11:44 on Jan 27, 2022

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

jaegerx posted:

It’s not strategic but is there a foxhole thread?

There you go, homie

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3893821&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Deakul posted:

I'd like to check out Stellaris but I've bounced off of every Paradox strategy game that I've tried so far.(CK, HoI, Vic, EU), specifically cause of how much they feel like spreadsheet sims more than actual games.

How is it compared to something like, say, Sins of a Solar Empire, Master of Orion, or GalCiv? All of those were fairly easy for me to learn.

If you don't care for PDS games in general Stellaris is not going to be the one that changes that. It is one of the most spreadsheety of them all.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Assessor of Maat posted:

:hmmyes:

convincing the entire industry that the Blizzard style RTS was a good paradigm to follow is the worse crime of the studio after the actual crimes

Legit.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

How's Solium Infernum for single player?

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Honestly yeah, I'd still rank TA higher, but CoH1 is legit the last great RTS so far.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Karmic punishment.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Entorwellian posted:

I've been playing the developing beta of Sins of a Solar Empire 2 and it has been my most played RTS as of recent. Ironclad Studios basically rebuilt the original game in a 64 bit engine and have been making major changes to mechanics and units each month. At first I thought the developers were being too conservative with changes, but a lot of things have been revealed to have been placeholder and they have had no problems reworking entire portions that were un-fun or not working from the first game. I think my most favourite addition to the game is that there is a "tier 0" tech level now for each of the races, so things like asteroid mining have to be researched first and the Vasari start the game from outside the star system and must settle a home planet. It's still a year off or so from release, but the parts that are in the game right now are pretty fun and working alright. The AI just received some love in the last couple of patches and has been a lot more difficult to fight against. The only reason I'm not recommending it is because you can only get it through Epic Games at the moment, which is a pain.

Speaking of, how is Sins 1? I got it for free in some giveaway and it has been hanging out in my games list since.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

I played the Mega Drive one. I remember being confused.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Boy, that sounds amazing.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

verbal enema posted:

Why can't they hunt

Honour

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Yeah, what really gives RTS games longevity is having a cool skirmish/compstomp mode. I'd also bet that what gave Starcraft and Warcraft their big scenes was custom mode, much more than their competitive scenes.