Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

tithin posted:

Was there a thread at one point for C&C and its respective mods? I seem to remember it being extensive but I can't find it.

Since the C&C LPs in the LP forum I've had a huge gankering to play C&C3

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3280168

C&C 3 is tough because the digital versions force you to play with the latest patch, which completely fucks over the singleplayer balance. Not sure if anyone's figured a way around that without piracy or buying a physical copy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Mordja posted:

There's a SWINE remaster coming out.

Why? I don't know.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SwCp-_LxlYU

KKND next please

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Potential BFF posted:

Tabbing out the production bar is a good change. I've been playing Dawn of The Tiberium Age a bunch and I can't say I'll miss having everything stacked up on one another, especially since units and buildings are added depending on when you got their production structure / tech.

It also doesn't actually imply any gameplay changes. Though I do hope they throw some modern UI stuff into the game and give people the option to turn it off.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Mordja posted:

I mean, multiple build queues is a pretty big gameplay change in and of itself.

Nobody said anything about changing the build queues. The devs just said they sorted the icons into categories to reduce the amount of scrolling while keeping the original building rules. You could always build units at the same time as buildings.

Here: https://www.reddit.com/r/commandandconquer/comments/bx59ym/remaster_update_and_first_sidebar_preview/eq3guxo/

quote:

So with that in mind, one of the most requested improvements was to reduce the need for scrolling the Sidebar as much as possible. A key suggestion on how to accomplish this was to introduce the build tabs from Red Alert 2 and Tiberium Wars into the classic UI. We have thus decided to embrace this suggestion, and you can see the build tabs present in the associated preview image. However, because of the construction queue rules of the original games, we wanted to keep all buildings under a single tab, with associated tabs for Infantry, Vehicles (Air, Land, Naval), and Support Powers. To further support the goal of reduced scrolling, we have then designed the Sidebar to fit 18 build buttons.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Jun 8, 2019

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Sick, it’s got single player content? I don’t bother with most mods because there’s no way I’m doing multiplayer with 30-year C&C vets or skirmish AI that can’t handle new units.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Chas McGill posted:

We've been playing Zero K (freeware Supcom/Total Annihilation-like) and enjoying it a lot. Are there any fantasy themed games with similar gameplay out there? I'd love to play a crazy RTS like Supcom but with the flavour of Dominions.

Total Annihilation with a fantasy theme, you say? Perhaps Kingdoms?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

https://www.reddit.com/r/commandandconquer/comments/e8cxdk/remaster_update_and_eva_audio_recording/

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Deakul posted:

Is Northgard actually a traditional RTS or is it mostly a city/town builder?

It’s a mix. It’s like a really light Settlers game.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Mordja posted:

Counterpoint: I really hate how Spring engine games "feel." They're just so janky and weightless compared to TA.

I also don’t like full 3D cameras in RTS games, which is a heavy burden to bear

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

mortons stork posted:

Did anyone ever play Supreme Commander 2? I never got around to it since that was a real busy time in my life. But I did love SupCom 1, probably my favourite strategy game ever that I wish I hadn't misplaced my CDs for. I still get an itch to play an RTS every once in a while and am fairly open to experimenting, but I don't know if they ever made anything similar to SupCom 1.

It’s insanely simplistic in comparison. It can be fun for a LAN party romp but it has practically zero depth.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Love Stole the Day posted:

Here's a released indie Warcraft 2: https://store.steampowered.com/app/946660/Loria/

It has a free demo and I thought the campaign was fun.

On a related note, again, Tooth and Tail is super underrated.

Loria looks neat, thanks for the recommendation

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

TA: Escalation seems to be the most popular TA mod right now. It backports a bunch of stuff from Supreme Commander, which is just a wild concept.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Mordja posted:

Not quite. It adds its own versions of a couple things like the Monkeylord (removed from the current release, to be added in a future, big T4 update) but the majority of its unit concepts are new/from the TA community. TA Zero is also a good one, it's got Starcrafty faction asymmetry with TA's far superior gameplay mechanics.

It adds shields and adjacency bonuses, too. I didn’t say it only backported stuff from SC. There’s definitely a lot more in there

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

mother fucker that's a netstorm-like

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

In good RTS remaster news, the EA staff doing the C&C and Red Alert remasters found a bunch of extra studio footage they're going to toss into the game as a bonus:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikJLYYTrIxs

Not sure how I feel about how they're upscaling the old video, though.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Petroglyph did a good job with the 8-Bit series, but why would they remake RA1? It has already been done by the OpenRA people, so they're not adding anything. Is it just because EA wants to take a dump on the OpenRA developers so they're giving Petroglyph a bunch of money to do it for them?

I would go out on a limb and say they’re remaking games to sell them for money

Does OpenRA have the single player campaigns?

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Mar 7, 2020

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Got some remastered music for ya:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XcaVLVBGG70

Apparently they're studio recordings of the versions Klepacki played here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-ArbE0bEQQ

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Mar 10, 2020

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

The TA community plays on GameRanger. No idea if they play original TA or just TA: Escalation these days.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Mordja posted:

OK, partly for my own sake, partly for yours I got Escalation working. TA mods are in a bit of a weird spot in that older ones are actually easier to get working. Newer ones tend to use features from a long-abandoned fanpatch build for Windows 7 and lower. Anyways, here's what I did.

1)Fresh install of TA, using the GOG Commander Pack. This contains all original content that Cavedog ever made for the game (campaigns included) and works right out of the box, fullscreen, widescreen.
2)Made a copy of the TA folder because most mods tend to replace files.
3)Downloaded TA:Esc, yes you want 9.2.0 or whatever's the newest
4)The installation order is in the .rar and I assume that the various window 10 fixes work for some people but not for me. I installed the main files, the w10 files, and the hotfix and the game still wouldn't launch, throwing up a directx error instead.

At this point there's an easier way (which I think you already used) and a harder way.

5)The easy way is to make a shortcut and append -d to the end of the target line, forcing it into borderless-windowed. The main menus are shrunken and to the top left but when I actually launch a skirmish it's set to my screen resolution. In my case I had to have the W10 and the Hotfix installed or the game would crash. Some advanced features, notably the megamap, did not work in this mode.
6)The other way involves messing with the registry. I hopped on the Discord and as luck would have it, found people talking about my very problem. I opened regedit and went to:

Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\Layers

Then I found the TotalA.exe in the directory I'd installed Escalation to (in my case just C:\GOG Games\Total Annihilation\TotalA.exe) and changed the value data to:

$~ DWM8And16BitMitigation HIGHDPIAWARE RUNASADMIN WINXPSP3

And presto, the mod now launches without needing a shortcut, the menu is fullscreen, and I can use the megamap.

As for your other questions, Escalation doesn't work with the campaign atm, though I think there are plans to eventually make it compatible in some way. I dunno about Zeal Maps, the one used nowadays is [V] Maps

Huh, I wonder if this will work to get RA2/Mental Omega running better on my machine

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Mordja posted:

What're you issues with RA2? In my experience using the CNCNet patch and running it from the launcher works fine, and most mods including MO all use that same backend. If you wanna play the original campaigns you can try using this patcher: http://www.stuffhost.de/files/cnc/

Mainly if I try to run it in borderless windowed or windowed mode I get "screen mode not found" errors. The only combination of settings that works for me at the moment is 720p/fullscreen using the TS-DDRAW-2 renderer. What I really want is 720p in a window that I can make fullscreen so I can alt-tab and have stuff on my second monitor without getting rearranged.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 20:29 on May 12, 2020

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Fallom posted:

Mainly if I try to run it in borderless windowed or windowed mode I get "screen mode not found" errors. The only combination of settings that works for me at the moment is 720p/fullscreen using the TS-DDRAW-2 renderer. What I really want is 720p in a window that I can make fullscreen so I can alt-tab and have stuff on my second monitor without getting rearranged.

Got it! I replaced one of the renderers in the /Resources folder with this guy: https://github.com/CnCNet/cnc-ddraw

And now I can play the game in a 720p window stretched to fill my screen.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Holy poo poo

quote:

Today we are proud to announce that alongside the launch of the Remastered Collection, Electronic Arts will be releasing the TiberianDawn.dll and RedAlert.dll and their corresponding source code under the GPL version 3.0 license. This is a key moment for Electronic Arts, the C&C community, and the gaming industry, as we believe this will be one of the first major RTS franchises to open source their source code under the GPL.

quote:

Now in terms of discovering user content, we wanted to take full advantage of the PC platforms to streamline this process. For Steam players, we’re utilizing the Steam Workshop for sharing both maps and mods. Players can subscribe to maps and mods directly in the game’s Community Hub within Steam, or utilize in-game menus to browse / download content as well.

https://old.reddit.com/r/commandandconquer/comments/gnevp8/remaster_update_and_open_source_mod_support/

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 18:10 on May 20, 2020

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Unfortunately, this will likely result in a C&C MOBA (Sole Survivor was already the C&C Battle Royale)

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I think that's the idea everyones really excited for. I wonder if the voxel units would make things easier or harder on the art team.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

There's always some niche Polish game that did everything 5 years before everyone else but RA2 was definitely the one that popularized it

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

So was the main draw with MO just huge balance fixes to Yuri's Revenge? Because I remember YR completely making GBS threads on the balance of RA2 at the time, and combined with RTS kind of dying off I remember thinking it was a rather sad fate for a series that had knocked it out of the park for so long.

Nah, there's a Yuri rebalance built into the CNCnet version of YR

https://forums.cncnet.org/topic/9250-yuri-rebalance-patch-community-changelog/

The main draw of MO is that it adds a fuckton of new units and factions in a way that isn't completely unbalanced and miserable (I guess? I've only played a few 1v1 skirmishes so far).

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Zeus is probably the most fun; Emperor is the most advanced.

imo just pick the one with the aesthetic you most prefer. The core gameplay is all the same, with the later games improving on and adding complexity to the formula.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

God I hope so. Crusaders 2 felt like trash bundle jank.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

SavageMessiah posted:

Speaking of spring engine stuff, Beyond All Reason is in alpha now. A friend of mine played a bunch this weekend. It's clearly Balanced Annihilation with the serial numbers filed off. It's really good and you can kinda tell it's been being refined and balanced for a really long time. I think it's coming to steam eventually but it's just a standalone thing ATM. If you like Zero-K, you would like BAR.

It's also got a new PVE mode that's pretty different from the classic spring Chickens mode. We got our asses kicked because we suck but it was pretty cool nonetheless.

This feels a lot less like "a TA Spring game", too.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Both Halo Wars games are pretty fun though the horrendous path finding did bum me out at points.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Milo and POTUS posted:

Yup. I wonder how much of it is it's cheaper to eschew the single player and just focus on skirmish poo poo. No voice talent, no cinematics, etc.

300%

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Mordja posted:

Some...real inept playing of Tempest Rising timestamped.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oAFLeASPhPc&t=20289s
Looks real C&C and I am here for that. From info I've scrounged together, it does sound like it'll have Generals Powers and faction Doctrines tho.

I don't think I've seen anyone play an RTS by clicking the actual Move button since the 90s

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Aug 24, 2022

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Mordja posted:

Another new RTS, this one from Petroglyph. It's a WW1 game, I think with turn-based/grand strategy elements?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OqeVmwUaKRE

Why does it look weirdly stuttery?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

VostokProgram posted:

I think they're going for a film or stop motion effect

Interesting. It kind of makes my brain itch watching it.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

The Starship Troopers RTS was fun. I wish it had gotten some more polish and more interesting variation in the unit designs but it has a nice, lengthy campaign with fun levels.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

KKnD is back baby!

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

FYI Purple War is available as a Free Demo again, because of the ongoing Steam event

It's only like 1 or 2 indie devs making this so just support them ffs: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1582500/Purple_War/

https://i.imgur.com/0MQUe4z.gifv

Ok but they have to stop calling it Purple War and make a singleplayer campaign

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

hey alright nice job outing yourself

Pff, it calls itself an online multiplayer RTS like three times before you hit “read more.” Be proud!!

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

The criticisms in negative Steam reviews seem really unfair and bad, so probably the game is good

Which ones seem unfair and why? I saw a few that looked like totally legitimate criticisms about multiplayer balance and content, like everyone having the same unit types.

I’m curious about the game but I’d only be playing single player.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

It’s EA and not a real release though. Is it that weird that the pre-release version is going to be when people see pre-release gameplay?