Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I'm having a lot of fun with Order of Battle and its DLC, and i was wondering if anyone could recommend me similar dope experiences with two conditions
1.) I notice a lot of this type of game seems to be, unfortunately, Nazi Fantasy Simulators (looking at you Panzer Corps series, literally "choose the nazi officer portrait for you!!!"), so im hoping this is a game that at least ALSO lets me campaign as the uhh....non fascists.
2.) Graphically im hoping for whatever you call the Order of Battle standard
I can gently caress with games like this:

but not so much the games where you're ancient panzer general graphics or worse just like splotches/flags on a hex map. Unfortunately that has also steered me away from a lot of Paradox, though i do love ck2 and that one napoleonic wars game they made a couple years ago.

It doesnt necessarily have to be ww2 but im usually more down with historical stuff than warhammer or endless legend type fictional settings. Thanks for any help anyone can give me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I will say, it is annoying playing historical campaigns that dont adjust to your success
Like, ill totally smash the imperial japanese so hard i could entirely compromise their positions but because that's not what ACTUALLY happened, the next scenario has me back at my starting position preparing for the "actual counteroffensive"

I get it, i shouldn't just be able to decimate the Finnish heroes of the Winter War but it's funny when I do and the next scenario is just like SINCE YOU FAILED SO HARD
If it's a problem, just add more units so i cant do it or provide as much customization here as you do for all the OH poo poo WHAT IF THE NAZIS ACTUALLY WON ______ scenarios.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
The only current ww2 strategy game i gently caress with is Order of Battle but i never really play as the nazis since it seems kinda basic and tasteless (and so many of those intricate games i wanna play are just like, lovingly designed as nazis only or a grand nazi fetish simulator ala Panzer Corps 2)
Looks like they released some post-2020 content (Allies Defiant) for me to catch up to at least

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I always have so much fun playing new Order of Battle scenarios (though as always I wish this genre wasn't so full of nazi loving white dudes, PLEASE GIVE ME MORE OPTIONS TO NOT PLAY AS NAZIS...like gently caress, some of the most "lovingly crafted" games in the genre are also the ones where it's entirely like NAZI GENERAL FANTASY SIMULATOR, CUSTOMIZE YOUR NAZI!!! and I can't really gently caress with that kinda poo poo anymore the way I might've as a clueless history loving 9 year old playing Panzer General or w/e). .
It is tricky for me playing the more nuanced scenarios that like, ask you to fight a defensive vigorous retreating action. I'm so reliant on using overwhelming offensive aggression and speed that like, playing as the Allies on the first days of the German invasion of Belgium/France is so hard for me. The poor British expeditionary force and French army are just like STOP TRYING TO ATTACK AND DESTROY THE ENTIRETY OF THE INVADING NAZI ARMY CIRCA 1940, THIS IS NOT GOING TO WORK OUT FOR US.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Oh im not upset when they let you play as nazis, just when you can only play as em

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Are there any good American Revolutionary War games?

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I might try out Ultimate General too, enjoyed a civil war strategy game like that as a kid. Been playing Order of Battle as the Allies lately and it's fun similarly to absolutely smash a nazi army even knowing the campaign goals can only accommodate that reality so much. Oh I can defend the Low Countries fine motherfucker!!! No retreat!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

victrix posted:

whystrategygamesand4xshavebeencursedfor30years.txt
I was gonna say, this seems pretty standard. I mean it's what civ v does and I even add mods to increase the AI cheat advantage sometimes since it's not like I can make them much smarter. I don't necessarily want an AI to be playing the game I'm playing.