Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Anyone tried Unity of Command II? I remember enjoying the first one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

GyverMac posted:

Been having a hankering to play Warhammer: Dark Omen lately. But its impossible to get a hold of (legally) and I fear it hasn't aged that well. That game was really fun, and I hope someone will make a game similar to it. Managing a mercenary outfit, equipping them with weapons and items, branching mission paths etc.

You should take a look at Battle Brothers

It also sounds like you might like XCom if you haven't played it yet.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Anyone have opinions on Stellar Monarch? I haven't played it but the videos I've seen make it look like a budget CK2 in space.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The 2016 Master of Orion remake is on sale for half off right now. I thought I remembered it being poorly received, but Steam shows it as having good reviews.

Is it fun?
How's the AI? I'll still go back and play Civ6 every so often, but the relentlessly hostile AI and poor tactics engine are always a disappointment.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

DrManiac posted:

Anybody check out old world yet? Civ + Crusader king sounds like a really cool match.

It looks cool, but I'm waiting for it to not be an Epic exclusive. Exclusive releases are console nonsense and don't belong on PC.

Thread for it looks super slow.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Mordja posted:

Iron Harvest AKA COH with mechs has an open beta going on. https://store.steampowered.com/app/826630/Iron_Harvest/

The tutorial starts out very endearing, but then every mission after that you just get your teeth kicked in. Which I guess is true to the Polish experience during the World Wars.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Flail Snail posted:

I'm looking for a new tactical game a la X-COM but haven't managed to find much ever since Steam's "related game" functionality became a bit poo poo. I've got pretty much all of the X-COM games, including the series stinkers Apocalypse and Bureau. I've got (and have enjoyed) the Mutant game. Additionally, my interests lie with something a bit more like Depth of Extinction - there's no real time limit, you can find (rather than "purchase") new party members through play, your party members can gain new abilities as you progress, and there are side quest type things you can do - but a bit less mind-numbingly samey as that game's missions. Is this another white whale to add to my pile of white whales?

If you hadn't said you have all the X-Com games, I'd say what you are describing sounds almost exactly like XCOM®: Chimera Squad.

You might enjoy Alien Swarm, it's free. Although it is a real-time 3rd person shooter that plays best online and the community is usually pretty rough on new players.

Did you ever play Final Fantasy Tactics? Or the Disgaea games?

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Mordja posted:

Warcraftlike Loria is now free as part of a kickstarter promotion for the guy's new game.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/946660/Loria/
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/liquidation/liquidation-a-rts-rpg-hybrid

Played through the first few levels of Loria. If they were aiming for Warcraft 2, they hit the nail on the head.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Any tips for Shadow Empire? I played about an hour today and it's not clicking with me so far. Not having any iron or any way to get it in my starting zone is probably not helping.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

commando in tophat posted:

Hey folks. I'm making a lovely space RTS, something like a discount homeworld.
And here is a crappy webpage https://www.soil-rts.com from where you can download it.

Cool!

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Mordja posted:

After putting it off for a while, I'm playing Iron Harvest's campaigns, happily through family sharing, not my own copy, after hearing good things about the SP from my brother. It kinda stinks doesn't it? Maybe I'm being too harsh: I'd already known from betas and demos that it was a middling game lacking both the bombast and the depth of a COH, but I expected the mission design to be a bit more interesting than it is. And what's there has been mostly fine, I guess, (the train gimmick level was kinda cool) but let down by the game's underlying faults: spammy, tactically simplistic combat, small but annoying bugs that hamper your control, map design that seems contrary to many of the game's mechanics such as cover and destructible terrain, the complete lack of gore.

Say one thing good: the mechs both look and animate real well!

Yeah, pretty much.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Love Stole the Day posted:

BlackChain was cool and good -- it hits the same notes that Brood War did and is a good game considering it was a solo dev project. It even comes with a map editor, of all things, modeled after Brood War's editor.

It's on sale for just $4 dollars. I'll give it a try at that price.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

pedro0930 posted:

Shadow Empire seems to fit the bill. Or maybe Warlock.

Probably not Shadow Empire. Shadow Empire has unit builders and a detailed combat model that you need to be at least somewhat proficient with.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Mordja posted:

New RTS by Blackbird is available for playest, just go to the steam page and you should get access: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1072190/Crossfire_Legion/

It's...very Starcraft, way more so than I'd like.

I did not get access. I guess they are full up :shrug:

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Mordja posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybitD0-Mpqc
Empire at War isn't my favourite, but a bigass remake mod for it just came out that completely overhauls the space and ground combat, and the Galactic Conquest campaign in a big way. Plus it just makes an RTS from 2006 remarkably good looking.

That looks cool, but it weirds me out that the spaceships with sails look bigger than star destroyers. I think Disney retconned them to be more reasonably sized, but I remember star destroyers being more than a mile long.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

jng2058 posted:

Hey, are there any newer Master of Magic style games out there? I've already done MoM, the Age of Wonders games, the Elemental line of games, Endless Legend, and the Warlock games and I'm not a big fan of the way the Heroes of Might and Magic games play. I'm looking for something in the same line but with a fresh coat of paint. Anything newish out there?
2 options, neither of which I can whole-heartedly recommend.

You might like Brigandine. The price is a bit steep for what's basically a remaster of a playstation game, but I remember enjoying it a lot during the original playstation release.

Wizards and Warlords on steam is an indie version of MoM. It's fun once but it has some mechanics like being able to build improvements on every hex and staff them with civilians that gets very grindy. The AI is also very hit or miss. Sometimes it does well, more often in my experience it doesn't do much of anything.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

In Shadow Empires, it's pretty easy to deadlock your economy on the very first turn. I forget what the recommended build order is to get started.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Age of Empires IV has a free weekend on Steam: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1466860/Age_of_Empires_IV/

I'm planning to try it. I'm surprised to see it on sale for $30 so soon.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

DarthRoblox posted:

It’s a good game, but they hosed up hard in trying to woo the hardcore AoE 2 players over without doing enough to bring in new players. It wound up in this unsatisfying middle with no player base seems like with the new expansion and now this they’re trying to breathe some life back in

It's a perfectly fine RTS, but yeah, it's just okay. Not really interesting enough for me to want to keep playing.

I do appreciate that all of the battles in the first, English, campaign, are a series of senseless family squabbles.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

chaosapiant posted:

Howdy Goons. I've been sort of eyeing those old-school hex based wargames on PC for years, but never knew where to start. What's a good beginner/newbie level wargame that's out there? Any recommendations?

As someone who is also a newbie, I found Commander: The Great War to be both fun and comprehensible. It's a WWI strategy game, so lots of trench war and solid lines, but the occasionally opening for a flank attack or supply line raid in the East to keep things exciting.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Toebone posted:

I've been hankering for a good PC strategy game to waste the entire winter playing. Last ones I played were Civ 5 and Cities Skylines, both of which I put dozens (Cities) to hundreds (Civ) of hours into. I prefer something turn-based or with adjustable speed, and not too complex - something with a good amount of depth to it, but not requiring insane micromanagement to be successful. I have Civ 6 but it never really hooked me. Open to any genre / style - historic, sci-fi, 4x, city builder, etc. What's the best stuff out there?

Edit: XCOM 2 also joined the hundred hour club, for what thats worth.

Old World. It's a 4x like Civ but the choices are meatier and the AI is significantly more fun. It understands the game better and can put up a reasonable fight.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3920273

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Reiterpallasch posted:

i mean yeah like, if the player wins at antietam and smooshes the entire ANV against the river and wipes them out...if the game tried to handle that in any realistic sense you just would have to stop playing the game because there isn't any more game

That's when time travelers show up and hand out machine guns to the survivors.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Edit: Oops, just saw you already tried and disliked my suggestion. I got nothing.

LLSix fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Jul 23, 2023

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

There's a steam sale for Old World right now. And Terra Invictus. And a bunch of other great games from the same publisher are in a bundle.

Mordja posted:

Since Total Warhammer 3 is forever dead

Why is TW3 dead? I played a lot of 2, but haven't followed the news for 3.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Slaan posted:

Didn't know a new one was coming. Time to buy it, join precisely two online games, oooh and ahhh at the new stuff then rage quit when my cute little army dies to a turkey

Thanks to Googling this, I now know there are at least 3 "Thankskilling" horror movies about a killer turkey. I'll spare you the image links.

I wish Dominions was more fun single player.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

victrix posted:

Reviews on this (especially dlcs) were rather confusing, seemed to be a lot of angry pvp players though (buy I repeat myself), so I ignored those and I'll give it a shot :v:

I played through it when it first came out. RTS is not my favorite genre and I still had fun. Not enough to be tempted into a second playthrough, but I felt like I got my money's worth.

I don't remember it real well, but I think the economy is very tightly tied to expansion, with a strict and low limit on how many people can be productive in one location. So you need to expand early and aggressively.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

I remember as a kid, we would sometimes set two AIs up to play against each other and watch what they did to improve.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

victrix posted:

Age of Darkness

This one has been on my wait-for-final list for a very long time now (it launched in EA in 2021, yeesh)

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1426450/Age_of_Darkness_Final_Stand/

It apparently just released the final campaign chapter in January, anyone played it? Good, bad?

I find this extremely specific setting (final stand in a doomed world) oddly appealing, so They Are Billions, this, and The Last Spell all caught my attention

It's a lot like They Are Billions (TAB). It fixes a lot of TAB's mechanical problems, but the graphics are somehow less charming.

It's very vibes, but it was just less fun to play than TAB when I tried it 6-9 months ago. I can't point to any specific problem other than the art.