Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

victrix posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMze46sIwdc

More good stuff

I'll leave off Duneposting after this, there isn't even a thread for it on the forums, but for anyone interested, that dude is making really good videos and commentaries on live mp games, and the mp community is small but active so it's there if you're interested in some slowtime rts multiplayer

Thanks for this. I've recently got into really learning how to play Dune and I've been having a blast. I'm able to consistently beat the AI with Hedge or Choam. Still have yet to get a governor or conquest victory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Mordja posted:

New Starship Troopers DLC coming in June.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KdKurIZA78c
I haven't actually played the first one, planning to let them build up.

It's probably nice, but I just want the proc-gen/endless mode they said they'd implement 2 years ago. I'm not interested in more story missions, I just want a skirmish mode to hop into and conquer randomly generated maps.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Deakul posted:

Check out Infested Planet for a more lo-fi take on this game with randomly generated missions!

Hey, that looks neat. I'll pick it up next time it's discounted.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Dandywalken posted:

Hows the Conquest mode in Dune?

It has a general cycle of 1 normal skirmish (can be pretty long) followed by 3 shorter gimmick missions (in the literal sense) which force you to play in a particular style, then another normal skirmish. Repeat until you win.

Each territory has associated bonuses for holding them. Every victory lets you choose from other bonuses that serve to accelerate future missions. For example, you normally need to train troops to take nearby villages when you start a match; if you befriend the Fremen, they will send you units at the start of missions that are more than sufficient to conquer your starting villages, saving you some manpower for other things like spice harvester crews or militias.

I've completed two conquests so far, they take about 5-ish hours to do. Each great house has one and they get different bonuses specific to their houses. So they feel and play differently.

I like it, but I mostly just play skirmish mode as I enjoy the core game a lot and don't necessarily want gimmick missions, or to be forced to play in certain styles.

drat Dirty Ape posted:

I have not tried Fremen yet because I just choose Corrino every time. I just love Princess Irulan and Hasimr Fenring. In general I like factions that can build 'tall' and Corrino is great at it. You get to airdrop in a new capital city, kick peoples rear end with Sardaukar, and gently caress around with the landsgraad at will.

You should try Smugglers, because they also build tall with their underworld network. Basically you expand into key areas until your scaling authority cost becomes unreasonable, then you spend your authority by setting up criminal networks in enemy cities and siphon off the resources they are producing for yourself. It's a different kind of tall play-style that discourages you from conquering the others. You don't ever need to take fuel cell provinces because you can just steal them from other factions.

Dramicus fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Mar 31, 2024

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
The combat in Dune is good, actually. There's a lot of thought that you can put into your unit & upgrade compositions. And there's a reasonable amount of micro that you can employ to drastically alter the outcome of fights without needing 800apm starcraft skills.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Deakul posted:

Was Stronghold Warlords any good? I've got a hankering for some Sengoku/Edo Japan RTSing that isn't Total War.

It's alright, a typical, solid stronghold game. Except there's nothing particularly Japanese about the game. It mostly depicts ancient China and Chinese architecture, units, etc.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Deakul posted:

Oh whoops, I had it in my head that it included the Japanese without even looking at anything but a couple of screenshots.

Well, cool to know at any rate! Did you or anyone else happen to know of any Japanese based RTSes?

Depends on what you are looking for in an RTS. There's the Nobunaga's Ambition series (currently on sale as luck would have it) which is a bit like Total war, with a strategic layer and a battle layer but the battles are the weakest part, nothing like in Shogun.

There's also Shadow Tactics: Blades of the Shogun. But it's more of a real-time stealth game where you control a couple ninjas, a bit like the Commandos games, but set in the Sengoku period.

In a more general RTS sense, there's also Age of Empires 4 where you can play as Japan amongst other nations.

Dramicus fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Apr 2, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Mordja posted:

Jeeeezus, that Age of Sigmar game is already 80% off, you rarely see sales like that anymore. It sure tanked, huh?

I got it in a humble bundle and it's not very good. The graphics are nice, but the gameplay is like a simplified dawn of war 3. Also I don't like most of the factions. The sigmarines are alright, but the other 3 are inferior versions compared to Warhammer fantasy.

They made the orks boring. How the gently caress does one manage that?