Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

VostokProgram posted:

Is the emoji meant to imply that this is actually a bad choice

It gets mixed opinions from total war fans. If you like the period enough then you should like it. Battles tend to be simplify to to just getting everyone on line and shooting because of the AI. I rarely bother trying to turn flanks, rarely use cavalry except to counter enemy cavalry, just stretch my lines out and then spend the battles telling my artillery where to shoot. I like it but I’m willing to accept the simplifications of the tactics from the period. The actual Napoleon mini campaigns aren’t bad because they force you to move and work with limited resources instead of turtling and building up super armies like in other TW games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
I played way too much of the starship troopers custom map on starcraft in high school.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
Warlords battlecry 3 is the best pick if you want rpg/rts/tbs

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

Mordja posted:

There's a big, standalone fan-expansion for it too that you can check out for free. https://www.moddb.com/games/the-protectors

Thanks I’ll have to check it out. The base game has so many race/class options, it’ll be interesting to see what these folks have added

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
I think the Wargame thread died. I built a pc and started going through my steam backlog, starting with Wargame Air Land Battle. Looking for some tips. I’m doing the first NATO campaign and struggling to win battles. I have to completely destroy armies over the course of multiple turns because I can never hit the victory limit in match. I find myself just hunkering down with antitank units in forests and buildings because whenever I try to take the offense I get shredded.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
Oh yea

working mom posted:

Its a tough game and the campaigns can be very one sided, i dont have any campaign specific advice because its been so long but scouting is paramount, infantry scouts in woods with turned off weapons so they dont reveal themselves are amazing. Push one avenue with a token defence in the rest. Air is king especially vs the ai, if you can win the air war you can bomb them with impunity

I’ve been using scouts but didn’t think to turn weapons off. My air gets shredded quickly by enemy SAMs. I’ll give it another go but maybe the post below you is right on the balancing. I’m not too keen to try this multiplayer but I am interested in doing other games so maybe we can get a game night going here. Is the WC4 remaster soon?

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

Punkin Spunkin posted:

I'm having a lot of fun with Order of Battle and its DLC, and i was wondering if anyone could recommend me similar dope experiences with two conditions
1.) I notice a lot of this type of game seems to be, unfortunately, Nazi Fantasy Simulators (looking at you Panzer Corps series, literally "choose the nazi officer portrait for you!!!"), so im hoping this is a game that at least ALSO lets me campaign as the uhh....non fascists.
2.) Graphically im hoping for whatever you call the Order of Battle standard
I can gently caress with games like this:

but not so much the games where you're ancient panzer general graphics or worse just like splotches/flags on a hex map. Unfortunately that has also steered me away from a lot of Paradox, though i do love ck2 and that one napoleonic wars game they made a couple years ago.

It doesnt necessarily have to be ww2 but im usually more down with historical stuff than warhammer or endless legend type fictional settings. Thanks for any help anyone can give me.

Battle Academy is turn based WW2 at the tactical level and I believe the campaigns in the base game are all Allied centric.

Panzer Corps 1 does have allied campaigns as DLC but I don’t know about 2.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
If you ever wanted a chat room for being an AoE animal here you go http://scrnprnt.ca/TheGardenOfEarthlyDelights/

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

davecrazy posted:

I don't see what would be compelling gameplay wise of assaulting fixed fortifications over and over again with a Pacific campaign.

USMC objective: Take the island
Japan objective: kill a lot of Marines and die without really moving from your position.

Burma campaign

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

Milo and POTUS posted:

What is it? Attaching messages to beacons? You could do that in RA2 and it was occasionally pretty useful! Over the years I've come to realize that game had quite a few novel mechanics. Beat wc3 to neutral buildings by almost 2 years. God I loved that era.

Renaming cities in Rise of Nations it looks like