Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Kvlt! posted:

you can also play panzer general and intentionally lose

Oh you mean how I play as Confederates in civil war games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Milo and POTUS posted:

Speaking of civil war strategy games is that ultimate general series any good? I got gettysburg for a buck and change but I can't play it atm

Yeah I'm playing the sequel, UG: Civil War and it's great.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Phigs posted:

Is ultimate General worth it if you like strategy games but could not give the slightest poo poo about the American Civil War, both in the war itself and the overall period it was set in?

Basically I'm happy to play a strategy game that really brings it or does something really interesting regardless of setting, but if the setting has to carry any of it I won't be interested in a civil war title.

I think so? Its ultimately about smashing stacks of guys into the other guy's stacks, hopefully with terrain, equipment, training/experience, or numbers advantages that you manufactured. If you don't care about the CW you may not care about where some battles are or appreciate the terrain you see and how it was fought over IRL. But who cares, barrage those guys with grapeshot and then bayonet charge 'em.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

I couldn't much get into DoK thanks to the hard counter aspects of the units. I guess I just prefer soft counters or the oldschool C&C "all the tanks ever will overwhelm even the mightiest anti tank force" rush/blobbing ability.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Oh man I tried a Regiments skirmish as Belgium against a Soviet Tank Guards Regiment. That was rough.

Sure I get a lot of Leo 1's, but they might as well not have armor, and I never got more than a 55% pen chance against the Soviet T-64's even at point blank. And they also had a fuckin lot of 'em.

No attack chopper to be had in any of the supplemental task forces, either. I was left using infantry and tracked ATGM carriers (all hail the Swingfire) as my main punching power, while an endless swarm of Leo's that just soaked up enemy fire, well, they did good work against APC's, I guess.

It was a hard scrabble match, and I fought hard for every point I captured. In the end I lost almost 100 vehicles and barely eked out the win. Good times.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Flipswitch posted:

How is Regiments compared to Warno?

A bit slower paced, and quite a bit smaller scale. I rarely have more than a dozen platoons on the field at a time, which means I can actually keep track of what's going on. I'm greatly enjoying it, and also wish it had multiplayer.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Bloodly posted:

We'll truly know if there's a Mammoth/Devastator/Overlord. This includes the Mk2.

I will not stand for this Apocalypse erasure.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Iymarra posted:

Those who have played Regiments - can you rename units/divisions/battalions etc that you have / requisition?
Is there a persistent carry over of units and veterancy between missions?

Rename: No.
Carry-over: Yes(ish). Each Operation has multiple phases, and experience and losses carry forward through the various phases. However Operations are discrete things with no carry-over between them.

Think of Operations as chapters in the ongoing story of the escalation of the conflict, you switch regiments each one and the story unfolds. It's pretty cool, honestly.

Arrath fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Aug 30, 2022

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Oh gently caress yes

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

GyverMac posted:

I dream of a RTS where i can tailor the AI to my liking. Just something simple as having slides you can adjust. For instance adjust the AI's preference for certain unit types or wether its aggressive or turtle-like in its gameplay.

Yeah!

At the very least, a truce timer. That way I can set up impenetrable walls for the ai to smash against.

Arrath fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Oct 29, 2022

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

GyverMac posted:

Cossack 3 has a truce timer. I like to use it for exactly what you described.

:respek: Turtles unite.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Kvlt! posted:

I def wanna second the idea of including an "endless" or proc-gen coop to RTS games. It's pretty much an instant selling point, casual fans can just see how far they can get with their friends and hardcore fans can go for their personal records. Since you're playing an AI there's not the stress/anxiety of playing against humans (especially if you're new to the genre or a casual player, you don't have to worry about getting your rear end kicked). I'm pretty open to grab any RTS that has a feature like this.

Tbh i'd love some recs for games that have this stuff.

I've enjoyed solo playing the survival/wave defense mode of Beyond All Reason, and I bet it would be pretty fun in co-op also.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

OctaMurk posted:

bring back world in conflict, the best pvp rts that ever was or will be

Facts.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

DaysBefore posted:

Yeah for real do this. I guess you can kind of think of Eugen's stuff as like, the evolution of World in Conflict in a way. But I get owned by the Easy AI in Eugen games therefore they don't count.

Eugen's offerings (in my experience) have a severe lack of off-map support of the kind which in WiC let you napalm forests, drop biological shells on garrisoned apartment blocks, daisy cutter the artillery they left stationary, in short:

Deakul posted:

Hell yes, War Crimes: the game.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

chaosapiant posted:

I was actually gonna say Ground Control. That games needs a remaster. Never played the sequel but the original GC was amazing. Also loved Sacrifice back in the day.

GCII was okay, I preferred the first.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Love Stole the Day posted:

^ Trip report: the game itself is good and fun. The narrative, just like Deserts of Kharak, is hilariously bad, but everything else is pretty cool and polished.

edit: also this is more of a Brood War-like than a CnC-like, actually

Does it have pure hard counter/rock-paper-scissors balance like Deserts of Kharak or is it more of a soft counter setup ala pre-RA3 CnC?

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Dandywalken posted:

def recommend Beyond All Reason for any Total Annihilation fans.

https://www.beyondallreason.info/

Totally free too

Seconded

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

I did enjoy building my army, watching them earn experience throughout the war, and fitting them out with better and better gear to blast ole johnny reb with.

In that aspect, ever more hordes of rebellious confederates to flag and fail before my musket and grapeshot volleys was a good thing.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Yet at the same time, sneaking around behind the lines with a well micro'd brigade of dedicated skirmishers (Not just detached guys) can wreak incredible havoc on artillery, supplies, and low morale infantry.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

God I played so much Natural Selection back in the day.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Mordja posted:

Turns out there was a long stream for Slitherine's Terminator game. It looks kind of like a Wargame title/World in Conflict.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tc0sbtNTNZs

With FMV cutscenes? Hell yeah

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Cicero posted:

Jank huh? Sounds like it's a true C&C successor then

Those are fighting words, sirrah. My rose tinted nostalgia memories from 7th grade do not allow for jank in the most perfect RTS of all time, Red Alert 2.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

TA:K was the first TA game I played, and only for quite some time. So it holds a special place in my heart. :shobon:

You could resurrect other factions builders and get access to their entire tech tree! That was pretty cool! I mean yeah you could swipe a construction yard with engineers too, but the factions were a lot more varied than GDI/NOD

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Last Train Home is out today, has anyone picked it up and has some early thoughts on it?

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

+1 for Regiments. Game owns.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

IIRC from the Steam Nextfest demo despite taking place mostly in the modern day it still had a fairly wide range older equipment. Like M60s, F-14s, and Dragon ATGMs for the US side as options alongside newer stuff.

Game might be too easy with all those post cold-war wonder weapons. "Mighty nice T90 you have, would be a shame if this two man marine team with a javelin were to annihilate it"

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Chuck_D posted:

You misspelled "drone with a hand grenade tied to it."

This is why we need C&C Generals 2. The modern GLA's tech tree would be wild if, perhaps, too real.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Mordja posted:

Turns out Starcraft's gameplay was always middling and outdated, saved by unique faction design, memorable campaigns, and psychopathic Koreans. C&C was always better, to say nothing of TA, the true choice for the discerning, forward-looking individual. :smug:

I adore C&C but I will say it only really came into its own in RA2 and there was more differentiation between units than "4 flavors of tank with increasing cost and shootiness"

TS was baller as hell and achieved that well but I think RA2 really hit it out of the park.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Slaan posted:

Is BAR any good compared to TA or SupCom FAF? I've been hesitant to pick up any new ones in the genre to avoid the disappointment I had with SupCom 2

BAR fuckin rules, just go download it

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

V for Vegas posted:

Dawn of War 2 is also still a great SP RTS. Get on that.

The hell it is. DoW2 went the extract wrong direction and I will die on that hill. After the excellent DoW expansion where you conquer a planet they move to a squad-scale hero RTS? Where are my continent spanning armies, batteries of artillery backing up legions and legions of IG???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

I can count on one hand the number of straight up competitive skirmishes I've played in SC1/2.

Compare that to thousands upon thousands of custom maps/modes.