Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shivers
Oct 31, 2011

Jinnigan posted:

i never played sword of the stars 1 and its on sale for $2.50, so i nabbed it. any new player guides?

There's a bunch of tips for new players in the Steam guides section of the game and you can google some more guides on other websites/forums.

Basically, I'd recommend you start with Humans or Tarkans, as they're the most straightforward races in the game.

Some more early game/new player tips:
- Your research tree will be different every game, meaning that you will (or won't) have access to different avenues of research in each game. You can salvage tech from other AI's, but that's dependent on what they're using and unreliable.
- Every race not only has strenghts and weaknesses, but also using a different drive tech that changes the way they play. Humans use node lines that allow them to move fast, but in predictable paths, Tarkans can go anywhere, but have no special gimmick, Hivers move at sublight speed everywhere, but can teleport everywhere instantly once they deploy a Gateway, Liir get faster the further they are from a gravity well(stars), Morrigi get faster the more ships they have in a fleet and the Zuul use node paths like the Humans except they create their own (unstable) ones.
- First few turns focus on getting out some Tankers to explore(There's a dedicated scout ship, but don't bother, Tankers can move farther and serve the same purpose) You will lose them eventually, but they're easily replaceable. After that start making some colonizers once you've found some good colonization targets.
- Focus early game tech on some industry/colonization techs, you won't get attacked by neutrals until around turn 20. Start focusing on some weapons techs around that time, since you'll need them to get rid of the space bees. Laser techs(Red<Blue<Violet lasers) are the best against them. Research emitters if you get access to them. You can also freely colonize any easy/good climate worlds during this time.
- Don't fiddle with the sliders too much when you start out. I've never used them that much either even after becoming more familiar with the game. The only thing you should fiddle with is the pie chart in the top left, which allow you to allocate your money between ships production/research.
- Don't colonize systems with a single colonizer. You'll need 5+ ships for good climate world and ~10-20 for bad climate worlds. More colonizers = more population and startup infrastructure, which means it'll take less time for your new world to become profitable. There's no penalty for colonizing beyond the initial upkeep cost, so go hog wild and grab anything that seems good/strategic. Don't go too crazy though, because colonizing alot at once will make your economy stall out, which will affect your ability to build ships and research quickly.
- Initially you will be in a state of cold war with any other AI factions, you'll need to research their language in order to engage diplomatically with them. They wont neccesarily attack you in a cold war status, so if you don't attack they might reciprocate by doing the same. However this won't last forever, so try to establish communications quickly if you want to remain friendly.

Feel free to ask for more help if you need it, but I imagine the guides or a youtube tutorial would cover it. Here's a link to the Tech Tree, which will come in handy. The numbers next to the techs is the percentage chance you'll get access to the each game, different colored numbers for each race.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shivers
Oct 31, 2011

toasterwarrior posted:

I'll put it this way: I mostly like CoH3 as a non-multiplayer duder who enjoys blowing up Nazis, but considering all the recent videogame industry news about layoffs, I'm legit surprised that Relic hasn't been shuttered yet.

There's still time, wait for Homeworld 3 to release and after that it might happen. They've already layed off some part of the staff. Homeworld 3's demo wasn't that great and my impressions from the community is that most people are pretty bullish on it. If HW3 is another dud like CoH3, that'll probably do it and kill Relic for real.

Shivers
Oct 31, 2011

OctaMurk posted:

Homeworld 3 isnt being made by Relic, so why would Hw3 kill relic ?

Ok, I'm dumb. I don't know why I confused Blackbird and Relic.