Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Bogart posted:

Get into SC2 coop. It’s a lot of fun.

Seconding this, particularly because the commanders are actually pretty diverse in playstyles. You can even do some Footman Wars rally point attack-move poo poo, or a small squad of elite heroes, or whatever with the right commander.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Residential walls in Emperor ROTMK are absolutely fantastic, but Zeus had so much charm to it for some reason.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I got Deserts of Kharak on a whim, and it was so goddamn good that it got me to buy Homeworld Remastered. Sadly I'd rather play Deserts of Kharak again than continue on with HW.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Bobfly posted:

Age of Empires III looks rad as balls, and it concerns itself with a period I love. But it arrived at a time where I had no real insight into RTS'es (goes on to this day). It wasn't very well loved by fans, as I understand.

Is it no good?

I've always felt that AoE3 is extremely underrated as a game. There's a lot to juggle but the cards system let you tailor your playstyle to a substantial degree, on top of your chosen civ already being suited to some playstyles, so I felt that there's a fair amount of diversity in how a game could go.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
WITNESS YOUR DOOOOOOOM

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I legit think that Heroes V gets a bad rap, and I don't know why. It's basically a bigger HoMM3 to me, with more unique mechanics per race.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

what in the gently caress

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Just dropping by to say that after watching clips from Fury thanks to Youtube autoplay and then getting inspired to play modded CoH2 again for compstomps that tanks are cool and wrangling a platoon of Easy Eights in order to slaughter Nazis is well worth the effort. Only lost one tank due to the spotty pathfinding of Essence Engine vehicles and managed to salvage it for the final push!

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I mean, the "handful of gamers who play MP" were also the only ones still interested in and actively playing a CoH game in an era where RTS has long been buried by MOBAs and Relic's own massive misstep in DoW3. Just saying that I can't really blame the change of direction when no one but the grognards are actually walking the walk when it comes to interest in a big RTS in 2021

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
The Dark Colony intro is insanely violent, it kinda owns and also does not own in that I'm sure it desensitized a lot of kids, including me :v:

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Hero's Hour has a demo on itch.io and after a couple of hours I'm buying this poo poo the moment it releases. Apart from the UI gripes with battle army limits and stack-splitting, it's drat good. Thank you very much for the recommendation.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Anyone know if the Starship Troopers RTS has meta-progression in the campaign? I love that poo poo, wished AoE4 had it.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Mordja posted:

From the demo they'd put out a while back, I don't think so. I think they also abandoned one early feature they'd mentioned, where you could either ally yourself with Terran command or your own troops, which would affect what units you unlocked.

drat, that's a bummer. Thank you tho

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
That is extremely up my alley, hell yeah.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Fister Roboto posted:

Apparently there's a Master of Magic remake coming out soon?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Luvd5rgQs0E

Looks extremely similar to the original but with an updated UI/QOL and with hexes. Like all the way down to the numbers it's the same. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing.

It's funny how the UI is so close to AoW3's, real ouroboros of game design influence there. Deffo gonna get it come Xmas.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
This may come off confrontational but I think the idea that "APM trumping good strategy is bad game design" is honestly laughable and reactionary AF. It really does feel to me like a lot of people are convinced they're better players than they actually are just because they know strats and counters and are only limited by their physical speed and ability. Execution of your ideas matter and should matter, and whatever sins a game has in that respect emerges less from bad gameplay and more from insufficient accommodation from the UI.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Mordja posted:

Lol if you still have that crossfire game installed you can still play the campaign by launching from the folder.

Son of a bitch I already uninstalled it :v

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Anyone playing Dune Spice Wars? New update brought out Conquest mode and it sounds cool af. I'm familiar with Northgard so I know how this dev makes their games but I've been waiting on it to get further in development before pulling the trigger.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Does Tactics Ogre count as an anime game, because it loving owns

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
It's janky but honestly not as bad as I feared. Very similar to Generals in that respect, lol. Infantry has "momentum" in that they can't turn on a dime, and in effect it makes them feel like tiny vehicles in a way. I'm still hopeful, at least.

The writing and VA direction is very "English wasn't our first language" tho, but it's all technically competent and correct, if not perfectly natural sounding.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

GyverMac posted:

Did you notice if veterancy for units is included in the game? In older CnC games, units had veterancy, and it was fun to try keeping units alive until you had a horde of elites you could smash everything with.

Nah, I don't think there was.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
RA3 literally gave every single unit an ability/alternate mode too.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Nah, SC2 is extremely slick while this is appropriately kludgy at times. What it reminds me of is the actual best C&C game: Generals/Zero Hour, especially with how infantry have momentum.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Anno posted:

Good for AoE. I wasn’t really expecting 4 to be so much of a success but it seems to have carved out its own place even with AoE2 still be long very popular.

https://twitter.com/AgeOfEmpires/status/1735719919658930664?s=20

Bittersweet for me; I'm happy Microsoft has gotten World's Edge to the level where they can do great work on AoE moving forward, with AoE4 now being a true success that's not just being sandbagged constantly by boomer doomers, but also I'm bummed that apparently Relic's role has been diminished because the studio isn't do so hot, along with CoH3 still being a hot mess.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Well I hope things work out for Relic. It's been a devastating year for devs; between the cash troubles with CA and Hyenas, I was morbidly betting on Sega shuttering Relic as their worst case scenario with how poorly CoH3 performed and how unclear their future was with AoE4.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Vulome

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I'll put it this way: I mostly like CoH3 as a non-multiplayer duder who enjoys blowing up Nazis, but considering all the recent videogame industry news about layoffs, I'm legit surprised that Relic hasn't been shuttered yet.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I'm getting the C&C collection for posterity but does anyone keep up with the Generals Zero Hour modding scene? Rise of the Reds and Shockwave are real fuckin cool

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Any other big cool mods for RA3? Honestly I just got the pack in order to play Zero Hour and Zero Hour-like mods, and RA3's Generals Evolved is the best incarnation of it because the engine is much better in terms of visual quality and stability

Also drat I only just realized that whatever in-house engine they used for those games didn't go past 30 FPS by design. What a strange limitation

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Dandywalken posted:

Does Generals Evolution have campaign support?

Nah, unfortunately. The first update in a long while seems to be getting more Generals mechanics working in this engine, like the Chinese horde buff mechanic (goddamn writing that out sucks in 2024, Generals my problematic fave)

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Yeah I was musing on it and tbh Relic getting sold was a better likely outcome than my actual expectation, which was outright closure considering how badly CoH3 did and how their influence over AOE4 got diminished

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Well hopefully Microsoft keeps them on moving forward, because right now they have fuckall in terms of IP and the first AOE4 expansion showed they still got the chops, even if their work on COH3 is very disappointing as someone who was hoping for a good SP experience. And yeah, I even waited for their campaign revamp and it's still not that great.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Gonna bring up an old classic I love, it has its issues but I don't care because nostalgia carries it for me: Battle Realms, by Liquid Entertainment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Mordja posted:

It's currently being "remade" (new/heavily modified engine) by its original lead dev on Steam. Technically in early access but the whole game's there.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1025600/Battle_Realms_Zen_Edition/

Yeah I got it WL'd, gonna grab it when I get some cash one day. I owe it to the dev for many hours played as a kid.

Man, I love how they made it so unit models "floated" around each other when in melee in order to create this illusion of dynamic melee combat. Dudes were cooking.