Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

NZAmoeba posted:

I got nostalgic about a demo for Close Combat 2: A bridge too far, that I used to play the poo poo out of. I decided to watch a Let's Play of the campaign to scratch that itch, but got really frustrated at the first result on Youtube, which was some guy constantly sending his dudes on bayonet charges into machine guns because he had no patience. Then he'd be confused when his units started ignoring his orders.

Then I found this series, which has practically zero views, but the guy runs an entire playthrough, while also referencing 1940's strategic field manuals and doctrines throughout. He analyses the terrain, suggests multiple different plans, weighs their pros and cons, then selects a plan and evaluates it's success afterwards. It's made for compelling viewing and I felt like sharing it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H19QmhUIZSU

Link to full playlist: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLfvPrdR0dVYwzavOVyd_cLXu2uqq9AgIN

If these screenshots appeal to you, you'll want to watch this series:

Hell yeah this is cool. I never really know what I'm doing in these games and just muddle through. I understand use of smoke and flanking, but it never seems to come together.

Also have fond memories of the CC2 demo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Assessor of Maat posted:

I'd say go for AoE2 DE. It's one of the best examples of how to update and maintain an old game I can think of. Isn't really much to recommend 4 over it unless you're really caught up on wanting to play the latest instalment, especially if you skipped everything between RA2 and now.

Also YMMV but I utterly despised the campaign narration in AoE4, that crappy history channel documentary writing style drives me up the loving wall in a way few other things do.

They should do the campaign documentary format again, with Philomena Cunk. Age of Cunkerors

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Sins has great atmosphere but I never cared for the gameplay