Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

So I'm playing SM's Alpha Centauri for the first time ever. Civ II might still be my most played game given how much time I spent on it as a child so I took to the basic engine really quickly and easily (though I really, really miss being able to do diagonal moves with numpad 7/1/3/9). My mind is absolutely blown at the moment, so far Alpha Centauri feels deeper than Civ VI or even V with the expansions, it has a staggering amount of content and (seemingly) stuff going on. I love the storyline that plays out when you build certain buildings / interact with planetary lifeforms and the writing is honestly maybe the best in any game I've ever played.

I started out as Lal and have played defensively colonizing and terraforming my home continent, despite everyone else declaring war on me and invading with mind-worms because I wouldn't give them my dope credits and technology, I'm doing pretty good. However, I have like half the settlements the AI has. I don't know if building tall is a legit strategy in this yet, but I'm probably only doing well because I'm on the normal difficulty mode and am used to Civ games. I'm definitely ahead tech and military wise but I'm concerned I'll be outpaced when the Spartans conquer the rest of the Gaians.

I was thinking about starting over now that I actually understand whats going on with mechancis like research, ecology, and terraforming (holy heck there are so many options and they all matter) and thus having a much more efficient start but I'm enjoying loving up and losing things from time to time while I keep moving forward with this neat psychic worm thing. Am I right in thinking its worth beating for the story before I try to nerd min max my way through a game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU