Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

I miss base building, resource collecting units, defense towers, walls, and all that jazz in my RTSes.
Is there anything upcoming or otherwise that I might have overlooked in the past few years?

Grey Goo came drat close but it leaned a bit too heavily in trying to be an e-sport above everything else, sure would be nice if devs made a game first and let it catch on to become an e-sport on its own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Harveygod posted:

Referencing a few posts above, what about Age of Empires II? The original game may be about 20 years old, but it got new expansions as recently as 2 years ago and got balance patches as recently as last week.

Even if you're not good at all, there's a group of us that plays against the AI and our skills range from "pretty good" to "won't contribute to fight and may pass out drunk (again)":

I'm planning to be more active now that summer is over. I even took the plunge and played against actual human beans last night. (Lost two 1v1 games but then won with top score in a 3v3 :toot:)

I've played AOE2 to death and back... I don't think I can find any fun in it anymore. Thanks though.

Mordja posted:

It's in EA and I haven't actually played it because it's in EA, but They Are Billions sounds like what you're looking for.

Yeah, I have it... it's way too survival centric for me though.
I'll definitely check it out again whenever they get the campaign out.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

ninjewtsu posted:

Was rise of legends any good? I always wanted it but by the time I was old enough to have the means to Just Get It, it was old enough that I wasn't sure if I'd be able to enjoy dated rts single player, and I certainly didn't have any friends playing it

It felt very unpolished to me, I'm almost positive that they ran out of money during development or something.

RoN was so god damned good though, I remember it being pretty hyped up and seeing big cardboard displays at the local Electronics Boutiques.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

I hope we get another rerelease of Age of Mythology some day, the extended edition is so god damned bad.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Mordja posted:

I thought the only problem with it was that the new faction sucked?

For me, it runs like poo poo... the upgrades look like poo poo... and the load times are unusually long.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Love Stole the Day posted:

A new 2D RTS thing in the style of Warcraft 2 and 3 just came out on Steam, made in Unity. It has a free demo. I played it and thought it was pretty decent. Their campaign is fully voice acted and has cutscenes and whatnot. Surpassed my expectations, at least.

Here's the link: https://store.steampowered.com/app/946660/Loria/

I think that the environment art is bad, but apart from that it's okay imo. I recommend at least playing the first couple of campaign missions in the Demo. The download for it is on the right in the sidebar.

This actually has a lot more work put into it than I expected.
The overall art is pretty garbage and I really don't think we needed to replicate early 90s RTS sprite work but the foundation is pretty solid!

Though the pathfinding is pretty bad too and the building placement is annoyingly finicky.

Deakul fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Nov 27, 2018

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

AOE3 would've been one of the best RTSes ever for me if it didn't have the stupid card system that makes even having quick and simple skirmish matches a loving slog to get started because you have to make decks for every god damned civ before you can even have a match.

But, the campaigns are all actually a ton of fun and it's definitely worth nabbing for those alone.

Deakul fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Dec 3, 2018

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

ninjewtsu posted:

Oh you can save decks. That guy's just upset that you have to make like 15 of them or however many civs there are

Pretty much, I hate deck building in anything.

Just let me hop in the drat game, if I HAVE to deal with cards then give me an option to just randomize it.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

And look at that a genuine RTS that isn't secretly a MOBA or something came out and it actually looks like serious effort was put into it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvSEbYBRk6A

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

AI War always looked like a clusterfuck to manage everything, how user friendly is their UI this time around?

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Krazyface posted:

They just did the AoE4 trailer. Looks medieval.

Could just be one of the several ages.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Is Northgard actually a traditional RTS or is it mostly a city/town builder?

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

C.M. Kruger posted:

Anybody mind commenting on the Spellforce series of RTS-RPG hybrids? I've had them wishlisted for forever but have never bitten the bullet on any of the games.

To add onto this, specifically 3 and Soul Harvest.

Reviews seem to suggest that Soul Harvest is an overall better game with QOL improvements but if they brought those improvements to the base game is it worth getting 3 still or should I get just Soul Harvest?

How is the RTS aspect of it?

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9iMfypQj3k0

:vince:

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Man, I'm replaying CNC3 and it's still a ton of fun and still looks pretty great!

The commando still owns.
It's really too bad the direction that they went afterwards though, RA3 and CNC4... woof.

Deakul fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Apr 26, 2020

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Battle for Dune was really really rough around the edges but yeah it had some cool ideas, I think CNC3 Kane's Wrath and Generals Zero Hour used subfactions too... in skirmish anyways. I think RA2 might have as well?

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

LLSix posted:

The 2016 Master of Orion remake is on sale for half off right now. I thought I remembered it being poorly received, but Steam shows it as having good reviews.

Is it fun?
How's the AI? I'll still go back and play Civ6 every so often, but the relentlessly hostile AI and poor tactics engine are always a disappointment.

It's baby's first space 4x, I'd avoid it unless you just want something braindead to poke at whenever you're really bored.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

I'm feeling nostalgic for the golden age of RTSes, does anyone have any youtube channels that have a bunch of retrospectives on mostly RTSes?

Much in the vein of say, GManLives and Civvie11 for FPSes and what not.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Sacrifice also had amazing music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WSQ3yzCV2Eg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6tufXdONR4

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Basically never play RTSes competitively and you'll have a great time.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Mordja posted:

That bigass BFME2 mod I effortposted about, Age of the Ring just hit its penultimate major release. https://www.moddb.com/mods/the-horse-lords-a-total-modification-for-bfme/downloads/age-of-the-ring-version-70

The biggest change to this one is an entire Two Towers campaign, on top of substantial overhauls to Isengard and Misty Mountains.

Oh man this is cool as heck, what's the easiest way to get up and running with BFME2 these days? I can't believe it hasn't gotten a digital release yet.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Mordja posted:

There's a guide (and more...oh whatever, it's impossible to get otherwise and EA seems to have turned a blind eye for years) over here: https://forums.revora.net/topic/105190-bfme1bfme2rotwk-games-download-installation-guide/

It takes a little bit of fiddling, mostly because you have to manually make an options file but shouldn't really be a problem.

And that's my weekend settled, thanks dude!

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Aw, I was holding out a vague hope that it'd be the Pacific War but the Mediterranean is cool too.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Oh man, I'm unreasonably excited for a new campaign map to paint.

I was almost afraid that they'd go all in with focusing on multiplayer.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Mordja posted:

Peep this imgur thread I found and see how many you even recognize:
https://imgur.com/a/EVtHnpJ

...I want to go back. :qq:

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Davincie posted:

have there been any good rts the last year for singleplayer? mostly looking for a good campaign. Tried iron harvest and spellforce and didn't like either (spellforce was too bland and iron harvest doesnt play well at all)

It's pretty much a dead genre, Brent.

Best bet is just replaying older titles and looking wistfully at the what ifs and what could have beens.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

AoE4 isn't really what I wanted from the franchise(yay AOE2 but now it's 3D, so i'll be playing the same RTS I've been playing for god damned years now but now it's 3D) but I'll take it just because the genre really is slim pickings these days.

Personally waiting for a proper Age of Mythology HD or, even more exciting of a prospect, AOM2 which seems inevitable with this mythology kick the industry seems to be on these days.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

chaosapiant posted:

I thought there WAS a proper Age of Mythology HD on Steam? Is it not that good?

Got an incredibly lazy new expansion pack that's just a bunch of units reskinned, it runs like garbage with frequent stutters being worst offender, load times are 10x as long now for some reason, and it looks like poo poo with all of the glitchy half assedly implemented post processing effects.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Oh boy another new RTS with way too much focus on becoming the next big e-sport...

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lFx4wfc8Tc

This actually looks really good, god drat.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Star Trek Armada's on sale on GOG, I've actually never really dabbled in them back in the day, are they worth checking out in TYOOL 2022?

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

chaosapiant posted:

I thought there already was a new/shiny/remastered version of Age of Mythology on Steam?

It was a dog poo poo attempt and ran far worse than it had any right to.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

literally this big posted:

A human opponent will almost always be more interesting to play against than an AI. If some folks want to only play singleplayer content (and that's the majority of RTS player, for sure) then that's fine an all. But the #1 way to actually get the most strategic experience from a real-time strategy game is by playing against another human(s).

I have to imagine that a part of the reason why strategy games tend to be so singleplayer-dominant (again, only a part of the reason) is how poorly designed an unintuitive they are. Unit/faction variety leads to a huge amount of complexity, strategy games are a genre that are heavily dependent on lots of RNG and math crunching (of stats are aren't usually easily accessible to the player), and overall they tend to rely on memorizing build orders, studying charts, and practicing micro. Plus poor UI and unintuitive design. Most players don't want to have to go through all that bullshit just to be competitive, which makes singleplayer a much more enticing experience than multiplayer.

It's a shame to see strategy games still stuck in this rut, when MOBAs (and similar games) solved most of these problems 10+ years ago.

Jesus, as a wee lad in the late 90s and early 2000s, I really never once thought about any of that garbage when playing.

It was more or less just learning what's weak or strong through playing the campaign, buying every tech upgrade I can afford, making cool bases with a million resource gatherers, blobbing up an army and sending it on over to the enemy.

I only ever played an RTS online with Warcraft 3 and that was specifically for all of the custom games where competition still didn't matter much.

I really miss RTSes and absolutely hate that everyone got hung up on the wrong poo poo and killed an entire genre because of it.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

GyverMac posted:

Cossack 3 has a truce timer. I like to use it for exactly what you described.

How is this anyways? I have it but I was sort of put off by the number of different resources you had to manage for it being an RTS.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Look, the only thing that matters is that Age of Mythology's finally getting a proper remaster and will most likely have a ton of post launch support too.

Therefore we don't even NEED any other rtses!

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

AoE4 also had a campaign that was about as fun as watching paint dry with its baffling discovery channel history documentary presentation.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

OctaMurk posted:

bring back world in conflict, the best pvp rts that ever was or will be

Hell yes, War Crimes: the game.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Dancer posted:

I think Stellaris is perfect for you. I like to compare it to an idle game, because a lot of it is stacking bonuses and watching number go up.

I'd like to check out Stellaris but I've bounced off of every Paradox strategy game that I've tried so far.(CK, HoI, Vic, EU), specifically cause of how much they feel like spreadsheet sims more than actual games.

How is it compared to something like, say, Sins of a Solar Empire, Master of Orion, or GalCiv? All of those were fairly easy for me to learn.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Am I missing something or does Crossfire have a disgustingly low pop cap that can only be slightly upgraded through HQ tech upgrades?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

It's still a pretty poo poo game op
dying genre or not