Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Speaking of the sale, Iron Harvest looks cool. Worth picking up?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Thanks everyone, I think im gonna skip it.

Follow up question: Whats a game like the original Command and Conquer that can also run on a wicked lovely laptop? Ive been playing a ton of C&C Gold but im burned out and looking for something new but similar

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Hope this is the right thread for this: has anyone played Kards on Steam? Any thoughts? Looks kinda interesting

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Malaria DLC lets you play as the mosquitoes

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

are there any strategy games in that setting? that sounds cool

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Is it multiplayer only or is there an AI/skirmish mode (that isnt the campaign obv)

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

That's awesome. Def gonna be keeping an eye on this one. Wish they'd gone for a scifi setting but if it captures SC gameplay well then I cant complain.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

I can see back in the day when games were few maybe but nowadays there's so many good grog games not set in WWII, it seems silly to be upset when WWII games let you play as the Axis.

I feel like if that bothers you grog games are gonna suck. It's not like the VC/NVA or US in Vietnam or US/Taliban in the Middle East are particularly morally just sides (tho obviously none of those are as bad as Nazis)

Not to say games should GLORIFY nazism, but I never got the sense Panzer General was trying to do that. More some wehraboos in the audience.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Oh yeah thats fair then, my bad I misread

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

you can also play panzer general and intentionally lose

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Same but as House Harkonnen in Spice Wars

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

The dev is still working on it and adding naval stuff so not abandoned at all. Great game.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

im_sorry posted:

I just remembered that I impulse bought ICBM a few months ago. Does anyone have any tips about learning or playing this game?

the in game tutorial is pretty good, and this guy has a few good intro/tips videos: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTCyBmwPFPs

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Love Stole the Day posted:

FYI this game just opened up as Early Access today. Bought it instantly.
is there any single player?

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

can confirm, im the guy with hundreds of hours in AoE2 all singleplayer

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

I def wanna second the idea of including an "endless" or proc-gen coop to RTS games. It's pretty much an instant selling point, casual fans can just see how far they can get with their friends and hardcore fans can go for their personal records. Since you're playing an AI there's not the stress/anxiety of playing against humans (especially if you're new to the genre or a casual player, you don't have to worry about getting your rear end kicked). I'm pretty open to grab any RTS that has a feature like this.

Tbh i'd love some recs for games that have this stuff.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

limp_cheese posted:

There was a game yeats ago that did something like this. It was a first person shooter where you traveled through time fixing history that was hosed up by another time traveler. At one point you march in a line of Union soliders up to some Confederates and pull out your full auto machine gun with heat seeking bullets and just mow them all down. When you weren't using future guns you had to use revolvers and muskets. The musket reload was hilarious as your guy reloaded it in like 5 seconds.

I think you are also sent to WW1 and the climax of the game was in Pompeii as the volcano was erupting.

Cool concept, absolute poo poo game.

Darkest Days or something like that?

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

trying to remember the name of a strategy game I saw. It was a top down RTS (maybe w/ pause)? Your units were mostly squares (counters), but I think you could see like tanks if you zoomed in enough.

The big mechanic of the game was being able to issue a command to a Unit of a certain rank or regiment and have everyone under them also follow that command.

I may be wrong but I believe it had an odd, one word title.

Fairly recent game, def within the last 5 or so years.

I'm sorry if that's vague but it's been driving me nuts.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

V for Vegas posted:

Ashes of the Singularity kind of let you do that.

Ty but thats not it. This was literally like looking at a map with boxes on it. It was def 2D and an indie game.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

This is exactly it!! Tysm!!

And thank you everyone who helped

follow up: anyone played it? any good?

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Does WARNO have a pause function? And if so, can you issue demands while you pause? It looks right up my alley but despite years of efforts I just don't really enjoy RTS's without the ability to pause and think once in a while

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

pedro0930 posted:

In single player, yes.

Awesome, thank you!!