Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
Eador is great. It's a big love letter to HOM&M and it's a great take on the genre. The astral campaign is cool, with a bit of CYOA approach to how you deal with opponents. The game does require some patience, though, with a fairly serene pace.

Eador: Masters of the Broken World is essentially the same thing: a 3D remake rather than a sequel. Genesis runs a bit faster and is less buggy, but Masters add sort of global modifiers to scenarios, which are welcome in shaking things up and nudging towards more diverse builds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

double nine posted:

Has anyone played Frozen Synapse 2 yet? How would you evaluate it?

Good, if having a bit of a rough launch.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

Eador is a really cool and good spin on the HoMM genre, but it does have a bit of a slow pace to it (even by turn-based game standards). Go into it with a chillout mindset, like you would into a city builder, except instead of making things pretty you murder goblins and dragons.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

Theswarms posted:

I went in expecting a Majesty and it's like a very overcomplicated and much more boring Majesty. I don't recommend it.

This ^^^

I was pretty hype about getting fake Majesty, but... it's just kinda basic and boring. It taking focus away from heroes and variety and into balancing an economy means that... it has a pretty nice numbers balancing core to it, until you realize you just get to do the same blobbing exercise all over again and it doesn't really lead anywhere. Just... building some more huts and balancing whichever resource starts falling off in production.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

Before anyone gets their hopes up, this honestly feels more like a janky DoW 2 rather than janky CoH.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

working mom posted:

It makes me sad because i love the aesthetic

If it'll make you any less sad, it's the second game whose raison d'être was "man, those 1920ish mech pics of Różalski are really cool" (complete with getting the man on payroll) while said pics turned out to be but a one huge pile of tracing and plagiarism.

There was a huge storm over it in the boardgame world a few years back (the first of said two games was a cardboard one) and the hustle really were to dumb places like selling artbooks of this and faking drawing tutorials*. Shame we won't get a mechaCoH and that a lot of work will be wasted on a disappointing game, but at least that guy will be poorer for it.

* before someone asks how that works, it's getting asked to do a painting tutorial for a website, tracing some poo poo and then making up steps by deconstructing it in a reverse order to pretend that's how it was done.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

Mordja posted:

Uh, I loved DOW2 and I don't see it. Just because of the inclusion of hero units?

It's more of a feel than some grand design statement. It's... those smaller unit counts that auto-pop into numbered shortcuts, the symmetry of factions, the awkwardly crammed melee combat and the dynamic it necessarily imparts on ranged combat. The demo maps also felt DOW-y, feeling like a disparate collection of capture points roughly splitting the acreage of the map between them, rather than flowing with terrain features. Things like these.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

Yeah, Factorio started as a riff on crafting games, with its added gimmick (automation) very, very quickly taking a life of its own and then it got cargo culted because Factorio did it.

It does have some advantages though, like giving a palpable sense of progression (giving you means to do things by hand so you can appreciate finding ways to not have to do that anymore). Also by locking you to a single place at a time it gives more weight to stuff like unlocking new modes of transportation.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

working mom posted:

Genuinely curious what's wrong with the brits?

A whole lot, the expansions were kinda terrible overall (Panzer Elite was a bit better, because it had a bunch of individually fun/interesting gimmicks slapped together into a barely coherent mess).

Brits were:
- based around static emplacements and magic spell artillery in a game build all around aggressive maneuvering. They did nothing and denied opponent doing anything interesting, so it was always either joyless meatgrinders or just going for the same silver bullets and their counters every single game.
- constrainedvery small and rigid unit pool where all games looked the same and your only real choice was whether you prefer to go into tanks or artillery for the endgame. And likewise - they always had the same specific weaknesses you had to try play around every single time, zero dynamism.
- poorly balanced in a way that was usually very frustrating
- had a bunch of bullshit units. Bullshit as in, even if ultimately beatable, making one of them forces the opponent to warp their entire game around them. Like tier I essentially-armored-cars or high-armor-penetration tanks whose range exceeds any units vision range.
- doing thing where they mess with core mechanics of the game (eg. locking down provinces with their mobile buildings), but it was done because it sounded like a cool flashy idea and nobody really thought them through.

They had the lowest (by far) skill floor of all factions and usually boiled down to making one early push early on with one's superior units, locking the juiciest section of the map and just playing simcity from then on.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

Yeah, there's nothign wrong with doing a defensive faction in principle, it's just... Opposing Fronts had Relic throwing poo poo at the wall and seeing what sticks and the bad parts of brits were really bad.

In going for US-like approach of a smaller cadre of more generalist units they locked themselves into living with their bad calls (and didn't choose to rectify it with Tales of Valor unit swaps), while PE had enough stuff you could keep tweaking numbers until you reach playability - even if half the units were competitively unviable, you were still left with the number of options brits had to begin with. Now with their own glass cannon approach PE had its own problem of swing wildly between trash fire and utterly oppressive, but at least they offered something interesting at their core.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

Mokotow posted:

How does this genere not get totally sick of WWII? Just do something different, even WWI would be miles more interesting.

EDIT: The answer is Nazis, it's always Nazis

Honestly, the answers is Russians. WWII is an evergreen topic that comes and goes as the trends shift, but it's always the East that keeps churning out WWII eurojank no matter what.

And that's really not surprising in that Russia and its closest satellites still care about WWII a whole lot, culturally. In my experience it felt like out there Napoleon's campaign on Russia felt about as alive as the world wars fell in other euro countries and WWII is just... way fresher than that.

Then again it's just my gut feel anectodal evidence from coincidentally being in Russia during some related anniversaries.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

TGG posted:

The one I am seriously curious about is Company of Heroes 3, I've heard nothing but it's good/it sucks and not a soul has been able to articulate well what the deal is. Is it worth getting when it goes on sale for 40? I am not going to pay 60 at this point but my love for CoH1 makes me want to get it.

It also kind of is both very good and bad at the same time and it really depends what part of it you're looking at.

As a person who adored CoH 1 and really didn't like CoH 2, the multiplayer gameplay really does feel like the best of both worlds, with some sprinkling of QoL on top. At the same time, the launch was really half baked, in very visible ways. You could tell it was just emergency launched half a year too soon: single player had basically no AI, there wasn't even a proper ranked mode or replay system implemented, one of the factions had essentially instant acceleration/deceleration vehicle speed, it was a bit of a mess. Then Relic followed up with a bunch of real PR blunders to erode whatever goodwill there was to ride out the rough launch.

Having said that, I had a strong feeling of it possibly being the best CoH game to date once they iron out all that poo poo in a couple months. The last big patch seems like it could finally be that 'this should have been the launch' moment, but 2023 is so stacked with great games I haven't gotten around to going back yet.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

Cicero posted:

Sometimes it seems like Relic is getting increasingly bad at making RTS games.

I'm pretty sure they have had quite an employee turnover over the years, which would explain their loss of institutional knowledge. Like the guys who led CoH 1 weren't even around by the time Relic developed the first expansion pack.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

ZearothK posted:

Speaking of, how is Sins 1? I got it for free in some giveaway and it has been hanging out in my games list since.

Good if you like that particular brand of RTS/4X hybrid (the other example being Dune: Spice Wars). Just:
- don't expect proper 4X levels of depth, it's half slow starcraft really,
- know there's no real single player content other than doing skirmishes.

But definitely worth toying with it at least a little, it's an interesting game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

appropriatemetaphor posted:

The strategic layer in Nebulous is single player right? I like the game but couldn't really get into the sweaty missile pvp lobbies.

Nope, you will be able to play it multiplayer as well. In an extremely "why wasn't this done before" move, each side will split the tasks between the players so that the simultaneous turns are moving at a decent pace - so there's one person responsible for fleet movements, another for research, another for designing ships, another for refits and logistics, and so on. Then, when a tactical battle occurs you just split the ships into squadrons as you see fit.