Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

I posted this in the game recs thread because I didn't know this thread exists, and no one there answered me, so hopefully someone here can help

Is the battle for middle earth 2 possible to play multiplayer nowadays? And does it still hold up?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Impermanent posted:

It's got a sci-fi spinoff sequel coming out next year but you should really give Age of Wonders 3 a shot now because it's an amazing game that a lot of people slept on.

Age of Wonders 3 is the latest in the Age of Wonders series. There were other games before it but I never played them and who knows if they're good or not. I don't. This game is good though. It's a lot like the now-ancient Master of Magic. You're going to do 4X building and exploring and conquering and capturing mana nodes and all of that good poo poo, but you're also going to choose a race and a class for your main character. This 2 degree axis means that you can be the more stereotypical wizard elves or the warrior humans, but you can also be the goblin dreadnaughts (tank and steampunk guys) or the halfling druids or a dwarven rogue or anything in between. Class not only affects your main hero but also the kinds of buildings you build and units you can produce bring in to battle.

Battles are turn-based hexmap affairs where you play against a surprisingly decent AI to eke out the advantage with the units you have. Unlike Warhammer: Total War (a game I am currently very in to) it's much harder for the computer opponent to run away and prevent you from engaging with it, so you'll have more interesting and even fights. Your heros will level up, you'll find magic items, you can become friends with dragons and then build dragon units and command a fleet of dragons to go gently caress up a guy. It's good poo poo. Each class also has wildly different ways of affecting the main map. Mages can summon up powerful and interesting units right to the board, the dreadnaught can enhance their building's productivity, the warrior can get big buffs so even their chaff-y frontline units own bones. Rogues can buff their units and reduce enemy happiness to get an economic advantage.
There's a DLC that adds halflings and jungle maps and one that adds the necromancer class. The necromancer is very different from the other classes and I recommmend loving around with it.

Because of the wild customizability of the classes the races take a tiny step back. They still make a big impact, especially earlier in the game before you've customized as much of your army, but they're not as wildly disparate as the races in Warhammer: Total War I or II. Despite this you'll find that you're constantly finding new ways of thinking about fighting as you change up your strategy with different class/race combinations. Some of them are more powerful than others but none are truly broken. There's also a PBEM option so that you can play with your friends. There's still an ongoing tournament community fighting today.

If you like Warhammer: Total War but want a different type of combat that's a little more x-com and has more of a focus on unit abilities this is your game. If you want a 4X with big stacks of units and high customizability you want to play this too. It's not shy about being a war-focused game, unlike say the endless series of games, which means that it's quite good at delivering interesting combat challenges. It's also on sale for really cheap a lot of the time - look for it in the upcoming steam sales.

There are some degenerate strategies at very high levels of play. I suggest you don't look them up unless you want to spoil some of the game for yourself. You don't have to do them to beat the very hard AI - they're really there so that tournament people can high-five each other.

There's a campaign but I never played it. I find campaigns in these kinds of games to be boring compared to the sandbox mode, which in this game is very good. Especially with the "portal control" objective added in later patches, which gives a kind of king-of-the-hill showdown near the end game, perfect for big army match-ups that allow your end-game units to have something interesting to do instead of just slamming through low-tier enemy garrisons. If this sounds familiar it's because Total War: Warhammer II basically exactly copied it (which is good. It's a good way to keep these games moving later on.)

If you like it I recommend checking out the Age of Wonders: Planetfall thread on here, which is about anticipating the next release, which will have an x-com-y cover system and carry over the class/race customization factor but now in space.

This game is insanely good and I will do nasty nasty things to get to play it with another human

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Relax Or DIE posted:

Yeah I really liked making a specialized force and joining the biggest team games and doing my thing, but the Venn diagram of horrible shitheads and military hardware fetishists is basically a circle.

Related, I think 'team based game where you pick a specialized subset of units' might actually be the future of RTS, should anyone every decide to pursue it.

Wasn't this kinda what tiberium twilight tried to do

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Was rise of legends any good? I always wanted it but by the time I was old enough to have the means to Just Get It, it was old enough that I wasn't sure if I'd be able to enjoy dated rts single player, and I certainly didn't have any friends playing it

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

every time i try to play AoM:EE with friends there's a thousand technical issues that render the game unplayable

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Oh you can save decks. That guy's just upset that you have to make like 15 of them or however many civs there are

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

is cossacks 3 any good?

are the older games any good?

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

The imperial psyker's voice acting alone is some of the best the industry has to offer

I want a whole game starring that guy

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Is there still people who play AI wars? It's been sitting in my library for years and I'm finally starting to feel like it might be a fun thing to play, but as I recall you need a group of people to play it and there's no way I'm gonna be able to convince any of my friends to learn it

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

skaianDestiny posted:

Only thing I could find with the name "AI wars" is AI War: Fleet Command which is a single player game.

Store page lists it as coop, and I pretty distinctly remember starting it up and having an info box tell me "this game is meant to be played with others" and, at the time, there being a somewhat active goon community playing it

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

OK cool, thanks buds

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Didn't red alert 3 really push co-op? How did that work out for it

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

When I tried to play ai wars I got nowhere because trying to understand anything meant reading a god drat book for every mouse over tooltip. Has the information overload been improved at all?

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

I spent a decent chunk of my childhood playing Star Wars: Force Commander and I'm willing to bet that game was trash tier but if someone could just confirm that for me I'd really appreciate it

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

there's been 2 but the general pattern has been "someone starts a thread, interest is revived, people play like 3 games, then interest dies again"

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

If you have some buddies the most fun I've ever had in video gaming was planetary annihilation team games with share units/economy turned on. You'd need a minimum 3 other buddies to experience that though, because there's no way you're getting any randos to play shared econ games

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Are they good?

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

ZearothK posted:

Any enterprising goons tried Dwarfheim yet?

That sounds super cool someone please give a yes/no on if it's any good or not

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Does that Immortals game have the "mechanical difficulty" thing starcraft-derived games love where quality of life improvements are intentionally not implemented to make the game harder?

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i really want a modern RTS that doesn't follow the starcraft/warcraft micro design and doesn't have a hard pop cap (or at least not a frustratingly low one, let me have over 1k units!). i don't think there's really any options besides planetary annihilation? game's pretty fun but the single player AI is just frustrating to play against and i'm getting tired of trying to wrangle people into playing this somewhat unpopular game with me, is there anything else?

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Corbeau posted:

I've played a shitload of all three, yes. Good games.

if you include shadow magic, there's 5 age of wonders games now

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Cicero posted:

I tried Dwarfheim — the RTS that splits each player into miner/producer/commander roles — and oof. I was mining, and while conceptually I appreciate the idea of a mini Factorio for the mining role, the UX is bad and mistakes are far too punishing. If something gets hosed up in your supply line, it seems like you have a blow up a bunch of your parts to try and refactor everything. And when something does go wrong, the game does nothing to alert you of this.

To explain it using StarCraft as a base, it’s like if floating too many minerals could block you from mining any more gas, except the origin of the problem would be non-obvious — you’d just see gas ceasing to come in and would have to click around to debug the issue — and you had to go blow up some of your supply depots to fix the imbalance.

Yeah I gave dwarfheim a shake a little while back and while it's an incredible idea the execution is pretty bad. Miner in particular is a "this is an extremely difficult role until you've put a few hours into figuring it out, and then it's exactly the same every time" situation

I had the most fun with it doing the mode where you control all 3 "players" on the team - each role is very simple but juggling all 3 was actually fairly challenging (miner works a lot better as something you check in on every few minutes than as something you stare at for the entire game). At that point though, it's just a subpar RTS with some weird gimmicks.

Too bad, if the game was good I'd be trying to get as many friends as possible playing it with me

ninjewtsu fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Dec 28, 2021

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i was honestly shocked when i found there wasn't a big tower defense element to miner/builder. miner/builder could definitely be combined into one role where buildings need to be fed resources via belts to make units/upgrades/whatever so it's more factoriolike and the econ player has more stuff to do. hell make the build site need to be fed building materials in order to construct the building. probably give workers some limited ability to carry poo poo around so forward bases or quick construction is possible but requires a dedicated effort with a lot of manpower.

2v2 matches would also probably be an easier sell than 3v3. finding one buddy to play a weird indie strategy game with you is a lot easier than finding 2.

ninjewtsu fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Dec 30, 2021

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

now i'm mad that "factorio, but you can build the bugs and each side has 1 player solely dedicated to controlling the bugs" isn't a real game

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

mindustry is multiplayer, though i forget if it has actual pvp. in any case you don't really control the robots you make very much so there isn't the same combat/econ divide, the combat in mindustry isn't complex enough for that unless you're only looking at the tower defense portion (which is the majority of combat in that game, but doesn't fit the ask)

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

I definitely would not recommend dominions to someone looking to not get overly involved with the battles

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

No but I'm always happy to find a good excuse to get back into it. Is the 1v1 ranked scene still bizarrely active?

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Balancing for pvp doesn't exclusively hurt the single player experience but it does kind of require the right mindset

"Every unit has a viable use case and players always have multiple good directions to go in" makes for a better pvp and single player experience. Underused and niche units or strategies getting buffed is always cool to see. Preventing multiplayer exploits, on the other hand, can definitely come at the detriment of single player.

100% don't trust an indie that sells itself on its multiplayer that will inevitably dry up though

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Northward was pretty close to being fun so hopefully this game improves on it

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

I can't imagine it's doing much else

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Not being able to do a quick vs ai game to work out mechanics definitely kneecaps it even as someone looking for MP

Game is cool though. Like many "we're eliminating micro to let you actually focus on the strategy part of real time strategy!" mechanics attempts it's mostly accomplished "a different kind of micro." But this kind of micro is unique and interesting, and strategy is legit more important. I wish stuff moved a little faster though

ninjewtsu fucked around with this message at 20:36 on May 8, 2022

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Panzer general is a somewhat amusing game for me to see this conversation being had about, as that was my (jewish) father's favorite game when I was a child

Same dad that had me sit in the 4 room holocaust museum for 4 hours to truly appreciate how jews are the most oppressed people in the history of ever

ninjewtsu fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Jul 1, 2022

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

I don't think PA flopped so much as it didn't make big explosive waves, and last I checked still has an active community somehow

I really liked PA but once you got to late game (so anything involving multiple planets, the entire selling point of the game) so many systems just kinda fell apart and that's where all the people not playing starcraft want to be. But I still had a lot of fun in 1v1s or hopping into custom matches with some friends to pull some team shenanigans, that game was really good before you got to the "economy is completely off the rails" part of it. I don't think I've ever had more fun in a strategy game than playing shared teams with friends in PA.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

If I wanted to make a popular rts I'd design it around the idea that most casual players are going to slowly turtle in their start location and find a way to make that fun instead of trying to force them out of that behavior

They are billions was an ok game that had a (somewhat brief) explosion in popularity, and also has as its main selling point "set up a big fortress and watch tons of zombies crash against it"

That's the kind of thing the people not buying strategy games want from a strategy game

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i think MOBAs drained the high APM crowd off of RTS' in the sense that most players who care about APM are perfectly satisfied with the difficulty of stutterstepping + timing a skillshot and don't actually need or want more than that. isn't starcraft 2's playerbase mostly co-op/SP with the actual competitive ladder well overshadowed? how much APM is needed in those game modes?

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i'm gonna need a pretty convincing argument before i believe that high APM requirements are the secret sauce for mass appeal, and that the 3 extent examples aren't the result of other factors

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

the worst part of playing age of empires is how the first 5-15 minutes is basically just single player but if you single player better than the other guy you get an advantage when the real pvp starts so you need to be really really good at build orders before you're allowed to compete, and executing build orders is incredibly dull

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i want a game that's a helm's deep simulator where every x interval of time there's a huge AI horde that attacks your fortress. in the time between attacks you're building up the fortress, but also there's another player with their own fortress and you're trying to sabotage their fortress with secret ninjas while also setting up patrols and managing your fort to prevent them from sabotaging you

the true challenge is not defeating the orc horde with an impregnable fortress but scrambling up a makeshift defense because some jackass rigged one of your walls to collapse or poisoned your archers' food

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i always liked how in PA you could go the micro heavy bot opening and APM your heart out or you could open tanks instead for fewer, more deliberate movement decisions with units that will clown on bots in a straight up fight but can't do all the same micro shenanigans

i also liked setting bot factories to put out cheap units set to auto-patrol the entire planet so for a mild econ drain i can make my opponent have to constantly be setting up defenses and have any holes get auto-exploited for no attention drain on my part. this was the definition of cancerous but also pretty funny

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

it places a huge attention demand on my opponent for no attention on my part and not much economic cost. it just makes the game horrendously more obnoxious to play if it's used against you so that's basically what cancerous strats are - it actively makes the game less fun (but lets me win)

good players could power through it ok and you can kinda counter it by just doing the same thing yourself but its introduction into a match exclusively lowers the quality of the game experience. hence, cancer. idk what cancerous play is if this is not the description for it.

ninjewtsu fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Nov 2, 2022