Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

So I’m thinking of picking up one of those classic city builder like Caesar. Is Caesar III the best one to go for, or should I go with the Egyptian or Japanese themed one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I'm trying to track down the name of a game that I played in the early 90s: It was like a WW2 simulator of a kind but the game play was like a series of strategic mini-games. Like one game was you dog fighting in a sort of side-on view, while another was you making bombing runs with a top down view of the map while you hit certain targets. I thought it was called Red Baron, but upon looking it up, that's a totally different game. I got it at Radioshack in like 1993-94. I'm sure that's a terrible description but there it is.

Edit: Found it!!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Ancient_Art_of_War_in_the_Skies

chaosapiant fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Feb 3, 2021

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

One of my favorite RTSs of all time is Ground Control. Such an awesome an amazingly fun game!

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I’ve never played any CoH games, but traditionally speaking I enjoy RTSs. Are they still worth playing? They seem to be super on sale.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I’ve always loved HoMM’s combat.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Deakul posted:

AoE4 isn't really what I wanted from the franchise(yay AOE2 but now it's 3D, so i'll be playing the same RTS I've been playing for god damned years now but now it's 3D) but I'll take it just because the genre really is slim pickings these days.

Personally waiting for a proper Age of Mythology HD or, even more exciting of a prospect, AOM2 which seems inevitable with this mythology kick the industry seems to be on these days.

I thought there WAS a proper Age of Mythology HD on Steam? Is it not that good?

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Know what game I really liked? Ground Control. Never played either the expansion or the sequel, but I thought the first Ground Control was awesome. And it featured a newbie Jennifer Hale before she’d become Bastilla, using the same Bastilla voice/accent.

Is there any way to get Ground Control to work on Windows 10 and maybe modern/widescreen it up? I have it on GOG but remember it having some compatibility issues and couldn’t get it to work.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Howdy Goons. I've been sort of eyeing those old-school hex based wargames on PC for years, but never knew where to start. What's a good beginner/newbie level wargame that's out there? Any recommendations?

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Distant Worlds 2 question: is this game supposed to be frame-locked at 60fps? And if not, how do I get rid of that? I've got no vsync on (gsync monitor) and my monitor is a 165hz. And i'm not running any frame limiters. I've switched between DX11 and Vulkan renderers and it runs the same.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Thanks for the recommendations yall!

As a side note: I’ve been putting some more hours into Distant Worlds 2, and I’m loving it! They streamlined all the right stuff without removing really any of the game’s depth from Universe. I’m really hoping this game gets a lot of good expansion packs.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I thought there already was a new/shiny/remastered version of Age of Mythology on Steam?

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Deakul posted:

It was a dog poo poo attempt and ran far worse than it had any right to.

That's good to know. I loved AoM back in the day, even more than AoE, and have more than once almost purchased the Steam version. Glad I didn't. I'll wait and see how this new version shakes out.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I personally don’t play RTS games to get better. I just like building cool units, exploring neat tech trees and upgrades, and crushing the CPU. If there’s a cool campaign and story, that’s a huge bonus.

I used to play WC3 online and eventually I got tired of how much my heart rate would spike during a match. It stopped being fun.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

OperaMouse posted:

RTS that depend on clicks-per-minute don't feel very strategic to me.

Also this. One thing I wish ALL RTSs had, at least single player, is the ability to pause and still issue commands. I know Age of Mythology and Ago of Empires 2 allowed for this.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

OctaMurk posted:

bring back world in conflict, the best pvp rts that ever was or will be

I was actually gonna say Ground Control. That games needs a remaster. Never played the sequel but the original GC was amazing. Also loved Sacrifice back in the day.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Armauk posted:

Here are some 4X games with a tough learning curves that are worth the time and patience:

Crusader Kings 2
Crusader Kings 3
Stellaris
Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri
Heroes of Might and Magic 3
Dominions 6
Victoria 2
Old World

I’d add Distant Worlds Universe to the list.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Mordja posted:

Sins 2 is finally coming to a platform that actually exists!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Di9NEJnpRM

Their logo reads like "Sins II of a Solar Empire II"