Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Supreme Commander?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

I liked the Starship Troopers demo, though I hope they can make the line of fire a little more forgiving. As it is right now there were more than a few times where I had units lined up side by side and if the enemy was coming from just a bit to either side one of the units just wouldn't fire at all.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Mordja posted:

That Slitherine Starship Troopers RTS is out today. I actually quite enjoyed the demo, with its emphasis on positioning and sitelines. Probably gonna pick it up since SP-focused RTS aren't exactly a dime a dozen these days.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1202130/Starship_Troopers_Terran_Command/

It says its out today, but the steam page says it unlocks in approximately "1 day and 17 hours", so who the gently caress knows.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

I'm guessing it was an error, it's gone for me now.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Love Stole the Day posted:

Remember when Tasteless said the community is loving embarrassing? Yeah, that was got me to start my chemotherapy detox for Esports Brain. Something about Idra high fiving Incontrol to defend the people who were sexually abusing their coworkers into suicide, followed by the "community" letting themselves get Raytheon Reset'd by some British girl's China-approved cartoon butt cheeks and then act like none of it ever happened as Booby Cottage hands out golden parachutes to the enablers and abusers.

Could you explain this again but in a way that a person who doesn't already understand what you're talking about could comprehend

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Anyway I personally don't play pvp in RTS games for a lot of the same reasons I don't usually play fighting games:

1. There's a non-trivial baseline of mechanical skill you need to reach before you can engage with the strategy of the game.
2. It's only fun to play with players around your skill level, severely limiting who I can play with and making it a total crapshoot whether I'll have fun or not
3. The match will often be decided by a few mistaken inputs

But also RTS games take like 20 times as long to resolve, which makes the other issues much worse.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

I played a skirmish against the ai, seems pretty good, has a lot of good ideas in there, just needs some more polish and it'll be great.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

It's a story based campaign focused rts, but also it's going to be a persistent mmo, but also its going to have 4 unique factions with a half dozen subfactions, but also it's going to be perfectly balanced and esport ready, but also it's going to have a unique coop mode.

It'd be nice if they could deliver on what they're promising but it doesn't smell right to me.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

"Stormgate" and no

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Hating on a game in open beta is just going to draw in the people who feel the need to justify their investment to scream at you. Better as a content creator to wait until release and pretend you hated it the whole time.

Idk the game seems like it's going to be Fine. It's a disappointment to be sure but it's also about what I expected from the game with no ideas. It needs a lot of polish to make what's there feel good to use but it's never going to be anything special unless the editor is good and a custom game scene can be built (unlikely imo).

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Fuligin posted:

if anyone gets around to Godsworn I would love some first impressions. The pitch is great but "two person indie RTS" is kind of a hard sell

I really enjoyed the demo they had last year, haven't tried the early access release yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Played the first two missions of the Godsworn campaign. Some scattered thoughts:

- Voice acting has a pretty wide range of quality
- Subtitles were often different than what the characters said
- A side quest was acknowledged as complete but didn't do anything
- Battles are slow with low damage and long spell cooldowns
- The game forces you to control territory outside of your main base by limiting the number of workers you put on each gathering structure, as well as preventing you from building the same gathering structure near itself.
- Workers are made automatically and until they're given orders they will worship at your main structure to generate the resource that is spent to cast spells and build non-human units.
- Player colors on the minimap need to be changed to contrast more with the terrain.
- Campaign is built for 2 player co-op
- Allied ai in co-op is functional but not great. It will defend itself and follow your army but it will also get stuck attacking walls and will never retreat from a losing battle.

It's fun right now, excited to see it develop.

sirtommygunn fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Apr 2, 2024