Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Mordja posted:

I hope Relic makes Dawn of War 3 afterwards

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Mordja posted:

This looks pretty cool. Sort of an indie Homeworld game with a metagame and fleet customization.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95STa9Dps1o

Thanks for sharing, keeping this one on my radar for later

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

ninjewtsu posted:

Does that Immortals game have the "mechanical difficulty" thing starcraft-derived games love where quality of life improvements are intentionally not implemented to make the game harder?

Nope. It has QoL features such as workers being auto built unless you explicitly dont want them autobuilt, unit abilities on spacebar, can rally production buildings to your army control group, etc

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

commando in tophat posted:

That sounds nice. I absolutely hated busywork in starcraft 2 (like larva injections) that are there just so that pro players have things to click. I would think getting rid of that would make games more interesting if you have more time to do things that require decisions

Thats basically why MOBAs became a hit. They are RTS distilled to the most essential elements and let you focus on positioning, teamwork and overall gamesense.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
South Africa DLC releasing for Wargame Red Dragon tomorrow. Pretty good cold war era RTT for anyone who hasnt tried the game

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

pedro0930 posted:

Eugen's announcement is out.
Sounds like basically Wargame but with Steel Division's QoL improvements. Army General style campaign. 1989, no prototype unit.

https://youtu.be/z4yZRkFsQUM

Steam store link: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1611600/WARNO/

They really did listen to the community it sounds like. Wargame with some QoL adjustments, no prototypes, army general campaign (maybe even co-op)? I think it's going to be outstanding. I think the Division system & Army General mode has been pretty profitable for Eugen while also providing a pretty decent value for players, so I think it'll be a win-win in that perspective too.

New UI looks nice

OctaMurk fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Dec 18, 2021

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Mordja posted:

So why did people not like the prototypes? Is it just a :spergin: thing? If you don't like how they break immersion, couldn't you just not use them?

I have Red Dragon but bounced off whenever I tried to get into it, and only put about 20 hours into Steel Division, pretty much all multiplayer, so it's not a series I'm deeply familiar with.

Definitely not, I think the vast majority of players enjoyed prototype units and a lot of them are memes on the subreddit. But at the same time the majority also recognized that while these units were really cool and unique, they weren't actually good for the game itself because of how supremely effective they were in their niche and how limited in availability they are. They made the game hard to balance also. Basically, Wargame is billed as practically "Total War but it's the Cold War"; but then you buy the game and play MP or skirmish where it's 90% about microing a handful of "hero units" -- still really fun, but not really what the game was meant to be.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

blue squares posted:

Is there a strategy game that combines historical city building with some degree of military gameplay? I’m thinking something where I build a city, in enough detail where I’m controlling the layout, making citizens happy, dealing with stuff like water supply and sewage, etc, but also running my tech and military progress so that I have an army that goes out and fights

Sounds like the Anno series I think

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
bring back world in conflict, the best pvp rts that ever was or will be

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
just reinstalled Battlefleet Gothic Armada 2 recently. Great 40k in space RTS with a great campaign, shame Tindalos stops supporting games after a few months

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Deakul posted:

It's still a pretty poo poo game op
dying genre or not

maybe you just dont like rtses

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
crossfire legion gameplay is enjoyable, the polish is great, the graphics good

lack of offline skirmish, a really short campaign, and a practically non existent mp community altogether make it a bad value tho imo

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

beer gas canister posted:

Can anyone recommend a single player game similar to Ultimate General: Civil War? Slow moving RTS, almost no micro, with a heavy emphasis on formation, position, and resource management. Total War is too plodding and stuff like CoH is too micro-heavy for my taste.

Regiments, maybe. Its cold war era but definitely not micro heavy

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
hooded horse is like a dream to me. Like if i had a bunch of money and could jist bankroll cool video games, these are literally all the ones i would pick

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Mordja posted:

Also it is called Purple War.

Meanwhile, another Starcraft clone, that space-based one recently got an expansion so there's some market there I guess.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/2471720/Five_Nations__Renegades/

This one is really cool and I think it is a huge disservice to call it a "Starcraft clone", you can tell with one look at the screenshots that its completely different. If its a starcraft clone then pretty much all rts are just starcraft clones lol

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
Personally I disliked the last broken arrow demo. It was more micro heavy and faster paces than wargame, which could be ok with me but the big problem was I felt little feedback from the game about how my units were doing, whether an engagement was in my favor, whether a position was favorable or not. Pretty game but it simply didnt "feel good" to me

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Kashwashwa posted:

Homeworld 3 demo is on Steam. I've just gone through tutorial so far, but it looks so nice...

Holy poo poo i didnt know they were doing a demo!!

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
Woah the homeworld 3 demo is their multiplayer coop mode too!

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
Homeworld 3 isnt being made by Relic, so why would Hw3 kill relic ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
Its too bad they made DoW3 instead DoW2: 2