Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW

Deakul posted:

I miss base building, resource collecting units, defense towers, walls, and all that jazz in my RTSes.
Is there anything upcoming or otherwise that I might have overlooked in the past few years?

Referencing a few posts above, what about Age of Empires II? The original game may be about 20 years old, but it got new expansions as recently as 2 years ago and got balance patches as recently as last week.

Even if you're not good at all, there's a group of us that plays against the AI and our skills range from "pretty good" to "won't contribute to fight and may pass out drunk (again)":

Jossar posted:

We have a discord here if anyone's interested, though things have kind of slowed down in the last little while.

I'm planning to be more active now that summer is over. I even took the plunge and played against actual human beans last night. (Lost two 1v1 games but then won with top score in a 3v3 :toot:)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

I'll post this here too in case anyone here wants to join:

People usually up at 10PM/11PM (Eastern US), but I'll probably start around 9PM. I'm going to try to play routinely on Friday nights for a while. (Discord link again)

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

StashAugustine posted:

Reinstalled aoe2 on a whim and poo poo I am bad at this game, the new ai is steamrolling me on normal. I get the badic concepts (keep your tc running, grab all the available food to harvest, etc) but the ai keeps beating me to castle age with a larger army every time

The new AI is better than the old AI. I can consistently beat Moderate but Hard seems just out of my reach (unless I do something AI can't handle, like tower rushing).

How long is it before you actually get to Castle Age? The AI also tends to be vulnerable to Feudal aggression. Attack early and often.

Alternatively: Get some friends to help you. :getin:

e: Also AoE2 is on sale right now, so if you don't have the expansions I recommend them. All 3 together are under $9 and add some fun things even if you stick with the old civilizations.

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

Love Stole the Day posted:

I think AoE2 has way more people playing than watching though and I'd be surprised if SC2's daily player counts over the past 7 years can come anywhere close to AoE2's consistency (even after being split across 2 games):

It was actually split across 2 games before Definitive Edition: the "HD" version on Steam and the Userpatch version on Voobly. The Voobly version ran better than HD but was a hassle to set up and join a game. Among other things, DE is an attempt to bring players into one place.

I was never big into competitive AoE2, but I'm loving ranked games on DE. The 1v1 games are pretty quick to get to and have actually been pretty competitive for me.

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

There was an AoE2 thread in GBS a year or two ago that was pretty active for a while. We did Friday night games for a few months, basically until Summer came and it scattered. I'd be interested in doing regular games and could message the group that was playing (about a dozen or so).

e: Age of Empires 2: Definitive Edition is currently on sale for the first time since it was released. It's only 10% off, but it was only $20 to start with (and there should still be a discount if you already own the HD version). DE really was a big improvement. I tried HD again last week and I really missed all of the changes. Shift queuing is awesome.

Harveygod fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Apr 3, 2020

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

Negostrike posted:

I really like playing coop games against AI on AOE2DE. We should give it a go someday.

I'll probably be playing tomorrow (Saturday) night if you or anyone else is around. My steam name is the same as my SA name.

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

If you want to send them to farms but don't have the wood yet, you can send them to the straggler trees and pull one off every time you have enough (60) wood to build one.

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

Family stuff came up tonight but I may be on later. Otherwise definitely tomorrow.

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

StashAugustine posted:

Cool, is a channel set up? I've tried a few matches on DE and the default AI is way easier lol. One other thing that I'm not quite clear on is how to assign villagers to farms en masse as they're being produced, is there a way to automate that?

You can have a villager place foundations for farms near each other and set the town center's gather point to one of them. After the first one is already built, the following villagers will look for nearby farm foundations to build/farm. The downside is that you have to spend the wood upfront for all of those foundations, so I usually only do it like this 2 at a time (if at all).

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

StashAugustine posted:

Yeah I went up to Hard and am getting creamed again lol. Did have a good team game with goons where I got completely destroyed but they managed to fish me out and turn it around

That was fun. I came really close to collapsing in the middle there. The AI had sooooo many onagers with (halbediers). Mangudai are good counters to them if you micro properly but not when there's that many.

Also lol that "onagers", a unit in the game, is censored in the chat.

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

Milo and POTUS posted:

drat I might have to buy it then.

There are a few of us fighting the AI a few nights a week. I think I have you in my :steam: list, so if you pick up the game I can send you an invite.

commando in tophat posted:

I think there was at least some discount if you already own HD

A $5 discount, which I think is still offered. After that DE ends up costing $15, which I think is totally worth all of the gameplay and network improvements and also new content, (even) better mod support, etc. But I also love AoE2 so much that I gently caress it. So, you know, consider that.

Really. Consider it.

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

Milo and POTUS posted:

After the initial disappointment of realizing they hosed with god drat hotkeys again (and the brief panic attack I had when it went to black screen for 45+ seconds after the admittedly great looking intro), I played a random map for 30 seconds and afaict I can't imagine playing any other version than the DE. I'm sure there's some disappointing poo poo in here but I haven't seen it yet.

Same. I decided to try HD again one day and just couldn't do it. For example, you can rotate gates with the mouse-wheel, now. :whatup:

In the hotkey settings, you actually have the option to select "HD Defaults" or "CD Defaults". I found I really like the new ones, though, since it's laid out so that the buttons on the screen match the layout of the keys under your left hand. Also "CTRL + SHIFT + ..." to select all of a building type has been really convenient.

I've heard that the "black screen" you saw after the intro is actually caused by the embers effect in the menu. It seems to be surprisingly resource intensive.
They aren't passive particles; you can actually "bounce" them with your cursor

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

drkeiscool posted:

so, any thoughts on the age of empires' definitive editions? i keep reading mixed opinions about all three of them in regards to performance, and aoe3 apparently changed some gameplay mechanics for the native american factions. how well has that all turned out?

I haven't played AoE3:DE yet, but I can comment on the first two:

I'd say AoE2:DE is better than "mixed." If you enjoyed any previous version this one is better in pretty much every way. The quality of life improvements have turned out to be really good (economy is less time-consuming later in the game) and the addition of a ranked ladder has made online play worlds better than before. Also note that some complaints about DE may be outdated: there were definitely bugs and balance issues (Cumins were initially stupid overpowered) but they've mostly been fixed over the last year.

I got AoE1:DE and played it for a little while, but I couldn't get into it. It didn't get as much of an improvement as AoE2 did, but I'm not sure how much that game even can be improved. Someone else described AoE1 as always feeling "unfinished" and that's how I feel playing it: I'm always instinctively looking for some mechanic that's in AoE2 (ex: not being able to garrison in a Town Center makes early economy way more vulnerable compared to AoE2).

TLDR: If you've enjoyed AoE2 then AoE2:DE is worth the $15-$20. Then join the Goon Discord or PM me if you want to get in on Goon games.

e: There is also a dedicated AoE2 thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

drkeiscool posted:

so, any thoughts on the age of empires' definitive editions? i keep reading mixed opinions about all three of them in regards to performance, and aoe3 apparently changed some gameplay mechanics for the native american factions. how well has that all turned out?

Quoting this again to say that AoE2:DE is currently on sale (33% off).