Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Luminous Cow posted:

God I haven't played command & conquer in so long. I had a ton of fine LAN matches with zero hour back in the day. Chinese nuke general owned hard

I loved zero hour. It's one of those games I used to replay regularly. I think I still have the disks around somewhere. That's also one of the last real LAN games I ever played and it was pretty great to team up with friends against some AI opponents.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Dark Crusade is one of my comfy gaming blankets that I always return to every few years. Only recently have the total war warhammer games done the same and for largely the same reason I think. I just love how fun and different the factions are to play. My only real complaint was multiplayer changes massively affecting my single player gameplay. I just love the stronghold missions especially even if I know how to beat them and some are overly long and/or grindy (eldar).

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

kanonvandekempen posted:

Have you given the Ultimate apocalypse mod a go? It's pretty ridiculous fun to see titans rendered in an engine that was not designed to render titans.

I've never tried modding it at all so maybe I will try it next time. Dark Crusade is like my comfy fuzzy slippers though in that I'm comfortable with it the way it is. I've tried to play Soul Storm but I just never liked it's campaign even though I can't really recall why.

e:

OhFunny posted:

Anywho won Winter Assault with the Imperial Guard and am moving onto Dark Crusade. I'm strongly reminded of Rise of Nations with the Risk-like map. It's an interesting choice.

A dumb thing that isn't at all obvious in Dark Crusade is that the game actually remembers bases that you've built from one mission to the next. In this way you can fortify a map the enemy keeps attacking with multiple bases, turrets everywhere, and loads of captured resource points. This is key to defending against the enemies once their main army gets big enough, otherwise they can zerg you down really fast. In theory you could build up the entire map, but the computer will remove everything within a radius of where the enemy bases are (I've played enough to know pretty much where they are in every map).

Damn Dirty Ape fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Mar 26, 2021

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

I was just going to start playing HoMM 3 and 4 again (yes I liked 4 and I've had its music stuck in my head). I know each has an HD patch but I don't trust them because Windows defender doesn't trust them.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Armauk posted:

The HoMM3 HD Mod is totally fine.

Yeah it probably is, but russian website + AV trojan warning is just a little too trusting for me.

StoryTime posted:

I liked 4 as well, the battle screen is fundamentally broken, but the hero developing mechanics are fundamentally broken in a really entertaining way. And the music is extremely good, I still find myself occasionally whistling the Order town theme, even though it's been like 6 years since I last played the game.

Yes, it's hilarious having a barbarian hero kill 4 black dragons in one swing or whatever. Is Order the one with the Kenny G sax part and that bass opera singer? gently caress the music in that game is something else. I'm listening to it now and I can't even choose a favorite.

Mans posted:

It has a decent campaign and the narrator is very good ( and is also the same voice actor as Peppa pigs father).

Hahaha oh poo poo I have to load this game up again now that I know this. I also enjoyed Dungeons 3 though it's humor was extraordinarily cringey.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

I am really bad at strategy games and RTS games, but I picked up Dune Spice Wars on sale and I'm really enjoying it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Mode 7 posted:

I gave it a try almost at random because it was on Game Pass and I’m surprised at how much I’ve been enjoying it. The almost boardgame-esque way territory is controlled and built out coupled with the politics/espionage systems and alternate victory conditions means it’s really scratching a 4X itch for me, but in a game goes for like 60-120 minutes rather than loving forever.

Yes, it really is like a deep, fun, fast paced, board game. I was also in the mood for a 4x and chose this over a few others and I'm glad I did.\

Amazing Member posted:

I'm glad more people are picking up Dune, it has surprised me how fun and fast it can be. Watching 4 player FFA's are engaging. There's politicking, tech considerations, expansion concerns... and it does it all well enough with some lag causing slight slowdowns at end points sometimes.

I was surprised I didn't see a thread here for it.

Each faction is just so interesting with its own mechanics, Fremen are my favorite at the moment, but each style has its own drawbacks.

I have not tried Fremen yet because I just choose Corrino every time. I just love Princess Irulan and Hasimr Fenring. In general I like factions that can build 'tall' and Corrino is great at it. You get to airdrop in a new capital city, kick peoples rear end with Sardaukar, and gently caress around with the landsgraad at will.