Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015

Bremen posted:

Star Ruler 2 was criminally underappreciated; I think people might have just taken a look at the interface (which did look super low budget) and assumed the game was indie shovelware, when in actuality it was a really clever and fun game.

The diplomacy system alone is worth some sort of award. Not necessarily the treaties and such, but the crazy running auctions. If nobody else was really focusing on their influence gain you could corner the market on diplomatic power, then try to annex everything your rivals own. Blackmail the other guy, sure. Play an extremely effective vote that gives everybody else blackmail on you, okay. Have snoops gather blackmail on anybody else trying to start a vote, great Have a running battle over who controls the zeitgeist of the galaxy, awesome. The diplomatic win option even gave your opponents 3 major chances to stop you. First and Second when you try to get voted grand poobah of the greatest empire. And a last chance as your influence converts your neighbors in a death ripple.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015

Fallom posted:

Sick, it’s got single player content? I don’t bother with most mods because there’s no way I’m doing multiplayer with 30-year C&C vets or skirmish AI that can’t handle new units.

Spoiler alert: the single player content was made by those 30-year vets. The missions I tried were insanely hard. I swear the slowest game speed was equal to the fastest in vanilla.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
In retrospect it may have just been super speed compared to normal, lagging, Yuri's revenge. Which would in turn make the missions impossible.

Does it work well on Windows 10? I might double check for myself.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015

Panzeh posted:

To be more specific, Eador has some of the same assumptions that Heroes does, but it's just more difficult in most respects- units are now individuals, but all tiers of units have value and can get XP- heroes now move on the map and have attacks(and some heroes are very good at this). The building's a lot more complicated, the map's a province map- heroes get equipped with all forms of equipment.

This is Eador's full building list from the latest entry in the series.

Thankfully, you only actually manage one city as such- only a few things get built in the provinces, usually just to let your heroes gas back up with recruiting or buying items.

I always think of Eador:Genesis as Heroes of Might and Magic, but leaner. You only have one proper city, that can only build one upgrade a turn. A starting army is the hero and 2-3 of his buddies from back on the farm. A single dragon is going to kill at least one unit, if not your entire army. Just forget about hiring adventurers to deal with a dragon, they are lying or suicidally foolhardy.

Using the rewind turn feature to figure out how to win tough fights with one hitpoint and no stamina left is the best. Even if it is terrible as a long term strategy. Unless you go full evil...

Tips: Unless you are going full evil start with the scout. Most fights have one unit that you really want to kill first, which the scout excels at. Especially if you go double scout to become a sniper.
Always haste your hero. Stamina is a killer. Always hire fairy mercenaries.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015

StrixNebulosa posted:

Why does Churchhill have a tank and not some kind of naval unit?

Churchill was the major source of funds for early tank research during his WWI stint as High Lord of the Admiralty. He pushed for them to be named "landships," presumably so that he could be in charge of them. He was also instrumental in making sure tanks actually got made when he became the Minister of Munitions. Tanks would probably still exist without Churchill, but perhaps not before the end of WWI.

So yes, Churchill would get his own tank. And his own Infantry unit. Unfortunately he was talked out of learning naval aviation before WWI, on account of it being too drat dangerous.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015

LLSix posted:

Anyone have opinions on Stellar Monarch? I haven't played it but the videos I've seen make it look like a budget CK2 in space.

No real person to person style conflict, for better and for worse. An interesting collection of ideas, but wait for a sale.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015

Ratt posted:

Does anyone know of some good play by email strategy games? I've been playing Age of Wonders 3 with friends, but we've been wanting to try something different. I've been eyeing the Dominions series, but I don't think they'll be down, not sure what else is really out there.

Solium Infernum!

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015

Mordja posted:

I'm gonna give the Kohan games a try, anyone know anything about them? My only experience was playing the K2 demo way back when.

Armies are real methodical. Unless you go with... the elvish sorts expect troops to take a while to get into position. The march formation is your friend... until it isn't. Besieged cities don't provide supply coverage.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015

Mordja posted:

I played through the tutorials and there's more to this than I thought. From what I recall, the second game is about capturing semi-prebuilt cities, I think it used a build plot construction system.

Yep! Ideally you want a specialized troop city and a bunch of resource providers. Not all factions can fit all the relevant buildings in one city but it can save you a bunch of money in the long run.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
I have it, presumably the switch version is already version 2.whatever? A bit on the hard side, but a solid tactics/robot building game. Try to figure out which of your bots runs the coldest and have them shoot through walls and other things between you and the objective. Don't be afraid to move your starting equipment around, as long as everybody ends up with one gun. Any amount of hull healing or regeneration is great, status effect clearing is priceless. Don't go all in on direct damage or status effects. Different enemy robots and scenarios can punish teams that don't diversify. Even robots that shoot a bajillion shots have counters by the third act.

I personally like a game where the default assumption is that every map is going to end with all of your robots melting down from overheating.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015

Mokotow posted:

How does this genere not get totally sick of WWII? Just do something different, even WWI would be miles more interesting.

EDIT: The answer is Nazis, it's always Nazis

Shadow Empire crossover when?

(obviously not a serious suggestion)

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015

ninjewtsu posted:

mindustry is multiplayer, though i forget if it has actual pvp. in any case you don't really control the robots you make very much so there isn't the same combat/econ divide, the combat in mindustry isn't complex enough for that unless you're only looking at the tower defense portion (which is the majority of combat in that game, but doesn't fit the ask)

You can absolutely control the robots as a squad or telling them to go to a specific forward base. Coding wizardry can make them do even more.

Civilization 4 is different enough to be a whole different game, and lacks any battle sub screen. Still value in promoting troops for the terrain.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015

TGG posted:

Rise of Nations gets rather close to this, just a little heavier on the RTS side.

Might as well throw Shadow Empire in at that point. IMO neither is a great fit.

Sounds like looking at that Zeus city builder or another of that line might work. The real winner would be the cartoony Greek City builder whose name I can't remember. Don't even think it is officially sold anymore.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015

jng2058 posted:

Hey, are there any newer Master of Magic style games out there? I've already done MoM, the Age of Wonders games, the Elemental line of games, Endless Legend, and the Warlock games and I'm not a big fan of the way the Heroes of Might and Magic games play. I'm looking for something in the same line but with a fresh coat of paint. Anything newish out there?

Deity Empires. The battle maps are much larger but the basic idea is the same.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015

LLSix posted:

In Shadow Empires, it's pretty easy to deadlock your economy on the very first turn. I forget what the recommended build order is to get started.

If you don't have metal build or buy a steady supply. Metal mine or recycling operation, don't forget to buy machines. Industry is a good second choice.

Playing from tech level...4? the second one. Gets you a decent starting city, with no fear of missing out on discovering solar panels by completing 3 researches.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015

chaosapiant posted:

Howdy Goons. I've been sort of eyeing those old-school hex based wargames on PC for years, but never knew where to start. What's a good beginner/newbie level wargame that's out there? Any recommendations?

Might try the Grognard Games thread, they have more of a focus on the old hex and chit. Panzer general is generally considered a good starting point. Unity of Command 1 is a more recent contender for best starting point.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015

Love Stole the Day posted:

^ Trip report: the game itself is good and fun. The narrative, just like Deserts of Kharak, is hilariously bad, but everything else is pretty cool and polished.

edit: also this is more of a Brood War-like than a CnC-like, actually

Disagree: If you select a group of units you can only use the active abilities of one of them. And if you select a mixed group of passive and active skill units IT DOESN't AUTOMATICALLY FEATURE THE ONE WITH ACTIVE ABILITIES!!!

But to be fair I have always preferred the Star Trek Armada solution to having a variety of units with active abilities: They all show up on the UI at the same time. There is a designated bar and they each have their designated spot. Unless you select a science ship, that was a whole different kettle of fish.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015

Love Stole the Day posted:

Just like in Warcraft 3, you press the Tab button to cycle through which "type" of units' abilities you want to cast

Thank you. I only played a little bit of Warcraft 3 in college and don't have that muscle memory. If that was in the tutorial/introductory missions my eye glazed over it. It sounds like a good solution when you have two or more units with active abilities selected.

But I am still unsatisfied with that in groups that only have one unit with an active ability. I'll die mad about this, but shut up about it now. Or at least at the end of the page.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015

Arrath posted:

Does it have pure hard counter/rock-paper-scissors balance like Deserts of Kharak or is it more of a soft counter setup ala pre-RA3 CnC?

Literally a free weekend, try it yourself. But my personal opinion is no, excepting air units against units that can't shoot them. Maybe snipers vs. infantry. Especially not true vs. the shield toting New Horizon whose shields explicitly ignore vs. infantry/armor/etc bonuses. Long range units whose projectiles can be shot down by anti air are in. Base defences can be anemic unless you back them up with deployed units.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015

pedro0930 posted:

Tried it, pretty meh. Production value is nice I guess (though the moment to moment writing is trite). There are some nice details like when you enter a building your soldier has to physically run to upper floors and to different windows instead of teleporting around.

The mission design is terrible. It made Skynet looks like idiot garbage instead of terrifying, when a bunch of nuked human slaughter machines by the dozens. Instead of executing tactics, the demo have you run tedious supply ferrying operation. The game focuses on cheesy action movie cinematic instead of showing you the intricacies and interaction of its systems. A fire fight happens, does flanking do anything? Is cover a thing?

The real value in the demo is the skirmish mode: you can totally play as the attacking legion side!. You can also infer a lot about what the campaign is going to involve by looking at the various vehicle variations. I can't say that combining customizable vehicles with one shot AT weapons inspires enthusiasm.

And yes flanking works, as does lying prone. Just don't lie prone behind cover.

The campaign bit available is just the tutorial, basically. The only decent mission is the last, and the re-crewing gimmick was annoying. I swear the markers were over the wrong vehicles.