Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

working mom
Jul 8, 2015

Cantorsdust posted:

Empire is still one of my favorite Total Wars for exactly that reason.

I miss empire's ability to have like 3 militia in an army with no general for public order

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

working mom
Jul 8, 2015
Tooth and tail is fun, haven't played mp though but the campaign is good. Story is bleak as gently caress though

working mom
Jul 8, 2015

Deakul posted:

AOE3 would've been one of the best RTSes ever for me if it didn't have the stupid card system that makes even having quick and simple skirmish matches a loving slog to get started because you have to make decks for every god damned civ before you can even have a match.

But, the campaigns are all actually a ton of fun and it's definitely worth nabbing for those alone.

I'd have expected a way to save decks like you can do with army comps in tw:wh it's dumb that you can't

working mom
Jul 8, 2015

Mordja posted:

Been playing the COH campaign and, whoda thunk it, it's really good. Ironically, despite loving all of Relic's RTS (except, you know), and RTS in general, I never actually beat the campaigns of most of them. I mostly played skirmishes, comp stomps, and mods.

It's been years but i remember the COH1 tiger campaign was a lot of fun, just following the story of one tank crew

working mom
Jul 8, 2015

FastestGunAlive posted:

I think the Wargame thread died. I built a pc and started going through my steam backlog, starting with Wargame Air Land Battle. Looking for some tips. I’m doing the first NATO campaign and struggling to win battles. I have to completely destroy armies over the course of multiple turns because I can never hit the victory limit in match. I find myself just hunkering down with antitank units in forests and buildings because whenever I try to take the offense I get shredded.

Its a tough game and the campaigns can be very one sided, i dont have any campaign specific advice because its been so long but scouting is paramount, infantry scouts in woods with turned off weapons so they dont reveal themselves are amazing. Push one avenue with a token defence in the rest. Air is king especially vs the ai, if you can win the air war you can bomb them with impunity

working mom
Jul 8, 2015
Thats a thing in all of their games, red dragon notably added aa to a lot of nk tanks for mp that drastically changed the campaign

working mom
Jul 8, 2015

FastestGunAlive posted:

I’ve been using scouts but didn’t think to turn weapons off. My air gets shredded quickly by enemy SAMs. I’ll give it another go but maybe the post below you is right on the balancing. I’m not too keen to try this multiplayer but I am interested in doing other games so maybe we can get a game night going here. Is the WC4 remaster soon?

Turning weapons off on them is pretty manditory, if you're using elites with manpads/AT you do have to remember to turn them back on at needed times. Air really needs micromanagement and hotkeys for fleeing, another less risky version is using arty which the ai I've never seen counter battery. For both air and arty fire pos is your friend so youre shooting in front of where a target is, more micro though.

Mortars with smoke are a godsend for attacking as well, just smoke the enemy position then rush them when they move out of position.

Multiplayer is a different beast, the AI will typically have more points to spend than you and can micro everything at once, but the only people still playing MP are people who've played it forever

working mom
Jul 8, 2015

Corbeau posted:

Ironic considering that Myth figured that out in '97.

There was a recent mini documentary on yt with the developer explaining how they did it, a lot of it was stills of a rendered 3d environment to save space on the cd

working mom
Jul 8, 2015
It makes me sad because i love the aesthetic, the campaign (at least what ive played of it) has an ok story, though i had to restart a mission that bugged

working mom
Jul 8, 2015

Lichtenstein posted:

If it'll make you any less sad, it's the second game whose raison d'être was "man, those 1920ish mech pics of Różalski are really cool" (complete with getting the man on payroll) while said pics turned out to be but a one huge pile of tracing and plagiarism.

There was a huge storm over it in the boardgame world a few years back (the first of said two games was a cardboard one) and the hustle really were to dumb places like selling artbooks of this and faking drawing tutorials*. Shame we won't get a mechaCoH and that a lot of work will be wasted on a disappointing game, but at least that guy will be poorer for it.

* before someone asks how that works, it's getting asked to do a painting tutorial for a website, tracing some poo poo and then making up steps by deconstructing it in a reverse order to pretend that's how it was done.

Huh that's a shame, tbf its just the whole steam/dieselpunk thing in general that gets me, not just that duder

working mom
Jul 8, 2015

literally this big posted:

Dark Crusade is pretty great. Which is good, because it was the last expansion Relic made for DOW1.

That and company of heroes were my jam back in the day, playing in the IGUK lan cafe weekly tournaments paid for my first gaming pc which was nice

working mom
Jul 8, 2015
Genuinely curious what's wrong with the brits?

working mom
Jul 8, 2015

Lichtenstein posted:

A whole lot, the expansions were kinda terrible overall (Panzer Elite was a bit better, because it had a bunch of individually fun/interesting gimmicks slapped together into a barely coherent mess).

Brits were:
- based around static emplacements and magic spell artillery in a game build all around aggressive maneuvering. They did nothing and denied opponent doing anything interesting, so it was always either joyless meatgrinders or just going for the same silver bullets and their counters every single game.
- constrainedvery small and rigid unit pool where all games looked the same and your only real choice was whether you prefer to go into tanks or artillery for the endgame. And likewise - they always had the same specific weaknesses you had to try play around every single time, zero dynamism.
- poorly balanced in a way that was usually very frustrating
- had a bunch of bullshit units. Bullshit as in, even if ultimately beatable, making one of them forces the opponent to warp their entire game around them. Like tier I essentially-armored-cars or high-armor-penetration tanks whose range exceeds any units vision range.
- doing thing where they mess with core mechanics of the game (eg. locking down provinces with their mobile buildings), but it was done because it sounded like a cool flashy idea and nobody really thought them through.

They had the lowest (by far) skill floor of all factions and usually boiled down to making one early push early on with one's superior units, locking the juiciest section of the map and just playing simcity from then on.

Fair comments, i honestly didnt play much after their release and it was always vs friends at that point so we hadnt boiled it down to that sorta meta i suppose

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

working mom
Jul 8, 2015

literally this big posted:

Gameplay balance changes have had a large impact on the singleplayer missions, too, so they may not play as intended anymore.

The same with wargame red dragon, like when they added AA to some north Korean tanks