Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
So I'm watching a aoe2 match on youtube and I noticed that things looked kinda different and I figured it was just a mod or something but then they zoom in and I'm like oh, this must be DE. I'll read a little bit to see what people's opinions are but how is the netcode? I played a comp stomp on aoe2 with a friend a while back and good lord there was a lot of latency in responses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
drat I might have to buy it then. That said, now I feel like I got screwed buying whatever the up to the then current expansion iteration was in AoE2HD though. If I do it'll be at least the fourth time I've bought the game. Maybe more.

Toast King posted:

It's basically always good enough to maneuver units around mangonel shots which is a pain with bad latency.

Wow I couldn't imagine doing that as is.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

After the initial disappointment of realizing they hosed with god drat hotkeys again (and the brief panic attack I had when it went to black screen for 45+ seconds after the admittedly great looking intro), I played a random map for 30 seconds and afaict I can't imagine playing any other version than the DE. I'm sure there's some disappointing poo poo in here but I haven't seen it yet.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I'm at 99 minutes so far so nowhere nearly enough to be well definitive but this may well be the greatest remaster of an old game I have ever (personally) played. I might be forgetting something obvious, though.

Meanwhile, in WC3 land....

e:

Harveygod posted:

In the hotkey settings, you actually have the option to select "HD Defaults" or "CD Defaults". I found I really like the new ones, though, since it's laid out so that the buttons on the screen match the layout of the keys under your left hand. Also "CTRL + SHIFT + ..." to select all of a building type has been really convenient.

Oh yeah. No doubt, once I quickly figured out what was going on I decided I'm gonna stick with them. It's startlingly intuitive. And by startling I mean because it's not in the vanilla. I'm just grumpy I'm gonna stay clear of more serious games for the short term until I relearn everything. For the third time.

Milo and POTUS fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Apr 21, 2020

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I bought TA on a lark because I do on occasion like macro-focused, more strategic scale games where the resource collecting takes a back seat to combat management. I've been on a competitive rts viewing kick lately and watched a few pro matches on youtube and it seemed pretty good in this regard. Just a few comments. First is I'm surprised at how modern the game feels, particularly the interface. It's missing a few things (I don't think you can set rally points which is... unfortunate) but nothing that I think would cripple my enjoyment. It does feel a little slow with a few units but it probably gets hectic as poo poo once mid game rolls around. And can I say how awesome it is that a 23 year old game has surprisingly high resolutions. Second of all is the campaign kinda sucks. At the very least it sucks at actually teaching you about the game. I had to pop onto youtube to figure out what an effective build order would be for the second mission. I figured out energy collection but I had to restart by the time I realized I had to collect metal too.

Anyway, I bought this on steam and I'm curious about multiplayer. I would like to play against someone and I think my keeping it is contingent on that fact. If there is any sort of competitive or casual scene, where would I go for that sort of thing? I doubt heat.com is a thing anymore :)

I know GOG has a version for only a dollar more and it also comes with expansion packs so if it also has a baked in multiplayer I might just get it instead.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Corbeau posted:

Yeah, TA was pretty crazy about automation for the time. Been so long since I last touched it that I couldn't tell you how to set that stuff up though. :v:

That's a huge part of the problem actually. I can figure out some poo poo, mainly from playing much later games. I don't even know what the units are lol

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I never played any WW properties after RA2YR though I guess Battle for Dune looked kinda fun. Didn't you pick a main faction and a subfaction? That seems a great system and I wished it got used more

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I never considered RA2s countries subfactions though I guess they are. I just considered them factions lol.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Getting an entire country on board would be a great way to build up clout and credibility for your competitive scene....and they go nuts for the lesser game :sigh: Oh well.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

If I got TA+expansion from GOG, would I be able to play Escalation online with that or what? I refunded my steam copy because its only a buck more for the expansion on gog, even if I much prefer having all my poo poo in one place

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Total annihilation kingdoms is on sale for 50%. It have any competitive scene to speak of?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

So I got TAESC and I followed to the best of my abilities the instructions from the website. I am extremely bad at computers and I got it to start but it's in windowed mode and lord is it a tiny window. It doesn't start if it isn't in window. I might just delete/uninstall everything and give it a shot tomorrow; I'm not attached to any of the saves (having all of one) and it looks all around much better than the vanilla game. From what I can tell. With a microscope.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Well here's another question: what's the commander pack? I refunded my steam copy so I could get the expansion pack included at gog for another whole dollar but got it half off on a sale anyway. But... it pretty much seems to be the exact same game. It's supposed to include the core contingency and battle tactics but I'll be damned if I know where/how to access them

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Where would I get the zeal maps complete pack? I don't see it on the website and I have some reservations about downloading it from some third party (fourth party?) russian site.

Also, I'm following the FAQ at TAESC, but the example it uses are TAESC_BETA_6_8_1.exe and TAESC_BETA_8_1_9.rar. However, in the downloads section, the most recent download is TA Escalation GOLD 9.2.0. I did get the TA ESC BETAs to work last night, but with the aforementioned problems and also I couldn't even play campaign. Maps\ac01.tnt was missing?

I'll be checking out the link you gave me earlier in the meantime but even incongruities in filenames pretty much throws me for a loop

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Wasn't somebody working on a freeware standalone or was that spring

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Well thanks for the help but I'm having even less luck with the most current download. I'm probably just not going to worry about it

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Klaus88 posted:

Been getting into TA style games lately.

Its a lot of fun! And about the only RTS game where the navy layer is fun and has depth to it, instead of being a pointless sideshow.

RA2 has fun Navy :colbert: Allies are imba, ofc

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Was RA2 the title that invented or at least popularized garrisonable neutral buildings? They'd existed in starcraft for I think 2 years, aoe2 for 1, but those were your buildings, or at least your allies.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Fallom posted:

There's always some niche Polish game that did everything 5 years before everyone else but RA2 was definitely the one that popularized it

What quote is that from

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I think they play fastest game speed on CNCnet to counteract lag but really all they're doing is making it shittier. Looks like the keystone cops and is impossible to micro.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Yuri's revenge?

I just joined about 10 random games and they're all 60.

e: ok, not the fastest game speed. They play it on 60 which is "faster". It's too fast though.

Milo and POTUS fucked around with this message at 14:22 on May 27, 2020

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Oh I went to the MO channel in cncnet and it's busy as hell. In fact there were literally thousands on almost all the time and I think that's great. Do I have to dl something else to play MO or is it baked into the YR download

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

ZearothK posted:

I am really enjoying Zero-K, but I also played TA in MP back in the day, so I guess I am the target audience?

Speaking of, the greatest RTS of all-time, Total Annihilation, is free to keep on gog.com for the next ~46 hours or so.

I jsut bought it :negative:

Tbf, it was only 3 bucks.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Turn your monitor on!

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Are there no Total Annihilation streams on twitch?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Samopsa posted:

This is a pretty active and decent replay analysis channel for Total annihilation: https://www.youtube.com/c/TotalAnnihilationReplays

I've seen several of these but I think it'd be a lot more to keep the community active if someone was streaming it actively. I'd love to see TAE stuff

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Don't feel daunted by ranked. Most people are loving morons!

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

StashAugustine posted:

man I am having a blast in aoe2 using Malay on water migration maps; just ring your coast with infinite tower docks and nothing can land

I beat a malay with aztecs after they'd upgraded to harbors. It was a lower elo game but even so there's no way I should have won that lol

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

It's really good and there's a lot going on including a $30K world cup soon!

And also contribute to the thread!

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

The same civ I play in fictional locales. Random :cool:

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Bad pathfinding is a sign of a good RTS apparently

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Mordja posted:

[url=https://www.beyondallreason.info/news/alpha-games-are-running-how-to-set-up-a-match]BAR has just hit open alpha, instructions on the page.[/spring] It's basically a modern fork of Balanced Annihilation for TA Spring, with brand new graphics and balance. Here are some walking robots:

Kinda interested in this. I bought ta on a whim a while back and it's a great game with some solid viewing pro matches. I'd love to see that style of rts blow up and get a larger viewer base

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

The leadership was fine they just lacked grit

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Wait till you find about them in real life

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Deakul posted:

Basically never play RTSes competitively and you'll have a great time.

This is true but you will never experience the ecstasy of victory over a tryhard and the subsequent death threats

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Grabbed supreme commander 2 for the steam sale. It's pretty good. Probably be a lot better once I figure out all the hotkeys and poo poo. Wish units moved a little faster on some of the big maps too

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Did they ever make a lords of the realm 3

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

the whole eschewing single player mode for multiplayer e sports cred thing seems back asswards as hell to me because most of the best competitive games already have excellent single player campaigns. If they're doing it to just save a buck it'd at least be more honest and probably better received.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Hahaha awesome. I see they went for a more starcrafty resource collection. I assume the purple crystals are the main resource?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

ninjewtsu posted:

Not being able to do a quick vs ai game to work out mechanics definitely kneecaps it even as someone looking for MP

This is huge. I got the free SC2 version so I didn't even know what non-Terran units did before I got thrown into comp matches where you couldn't pick the AI difficulty because it scaled automatically