Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lispy-goon
Jan 9, 2019

Slaan posted:

Is BAR any good compared to TA or SupCom FAF? I've been hesitant to pick up any new ones in the genre to avoid the disappointment I had with SupCom 2

IMHO, BAR is definitely much better than SupCom2.

BAR plays just like TA, but with many nice modernizations, QoL improvements, and some units and ideas from SupCom and (notetably, shields and experimentals).

If you like TA, you'll like BAR (I know I do). If you are SupCom fan, I think you'll like it too. Though do note that BAR is a lot less turtle friendly than SupCom (but that's why I like it).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lispy-goon
Jan 9, 2019

drat Dirty Ape posted:

I am really bad at strategy games and RTS games, but I picked up Dune Spice Wars on sale and I'm really enjoying it.

That game is one of the few that actually gets better AFTER leaving EA. That major patch after release really fixed the game

Now, if only they'd improve Freemen wormriding "animation".

lispy-goon
Jan 9, 2019

Red Rox posted:

I’ve been playing Dune to scratch the Dune itch and having fun - it’s a super chill game. Some RTS games are way too stressful haha.

Maybe I’m just used to other 4X and RTS games, but I feel like the combat in Dune seems really shallow? You only have a small variety of troops, no vehicles, and bases can tank a stupid amount of damage.

I guess combat isn’t the main focus, but surely they could add a few - missile ships, or battle thopters, or tanks - which of course would attract worms and make things more interesting.

I thought so at first too, until I played some multiplayer games and got obliterated by some players.

Apparently, there are ways to build your army to counter stuffs, using the Armory feature. A player who knows how to use this can create a build that literally melt enemy armies in seconds (speaking from the experience of being on the receiving end).