Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Is ultimate General worth it if you like strategy games but could not give the slightest poo poo about the American Civil War, both in the war itself and the overall period it was set in?

Basically I'm happy to play a strategy game that really brings it or does something really interesting regardless of setting, but if the setting has to carry any of it I won't be interested in a civil war title.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

I do think strategy needs a certain kind of randomness. Otherwise it's just a calculation/optimization puzzle (+ execution is real time). Miss/crit/etc is not really the right kind of randomness though. Ideally in a strategy game you're coming up with plans during the game, but in reality you're going into the game with a set strategy and then you pivot into a limited number of mid/late-game canned strategies based on what your opponent chooses out of their limited set of strategies. You should load into the game and have a set time to look at what you've got and what's available and be thinking "well what the gently caress do I do with these". From there the game should somehow evolve in a way that you have to remake your plans on the way. I wanna feel like I win/lose based on my ability to look at the game state and figure out what I want to do and then make a plan on how to achieve that.

That's pretty hard to put in a game though it seems.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Holy crap Creeper World 4 does not explain anything to you. Like how the gently caress am I supposed to apply anti-creep to the yellow webbing?

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

I didn't even know the creep shooters shot anti-creep, just knew they were powered by it. I was trying to deliver the resource of anti-creep to the stuff using projectors, landing blocks of it on the spot.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Yeah I know how it works now. But the game doesn't really my make it explicit what the anti-creep actually does. You get access to it in the mission prior but all you do is use it on the anti-creep sprayers which basically seem like cannons that work better on the purple creep. Unless you configure them to
Always On" then they only shoot when they would hit creep so you don't see the anti-creep pool up like it does. So to me it just looked they they shot anti-creep powered bullets at the creep. And this was just the one that put me over the edge. So many times during the campaign the game would tell me to do something and I'd have to figure out what it was even saying. Also the names like ARG and whatever make me not remember anything. The whole game needs a very hefty UX pass.

It is a good game underneath that though. I binged the 20 hour campaign already.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Yeah I'm finding that now. Playing a random map and it's not really doing it for me.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Where is the hate for Stormgate? I've made a short look but Youtubers seem to be liking it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

appropriatemetaphor posted:

There’s this odd dichotomy between wanting the ai to be “challenging” but also wanting it not to “cheat”.

The problem with the AI cheating is that it often makes them immune to certain strategies, thus narrowing the strategic options and making the game less fun to play against them. For example an AI that just gets granted resources over time is immune to you raiding their economy.

The true goal for developers is not to make an AI that plays like a player, but one that can be played against the same way you can play against a player.

EDIT: beaten, actually, glad to see other people see the problem though. Sometimes feels like everyone is aiming at the wrong problem.