Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003
I went ten or so pages back in the games forum and didn't see a dedicated thread, so I figure I'll ask here.

I've gotten hooked on Distant Worlds 2 this week and am really enjoying it after bouncing off it a couple times. Now that I get the mechanics of it, it's a really fun ride. What I'm struggling with right now is fleet automation. It seems no matter what I do - outside of setting a fleet to strictly manual control - they will blast off to the farthest corners of the galaxy for no real rhyme or reason.

For example, I build small defensive fleets to guard my colonies. I automated them with the "defend" command, set their home base to the desired system, and set them to remain in their own system on the tactics screen. Yet, when I look for them later, their home base is changed, they're guarding some mining dump in the middle of someone else's territory, and, best of all, they're out of gas.

So, short of setting them to manual control, is there a better way to handle small defensive fleets?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003
Wartales is of the same vein as battle brothers and, after cursory googling, appears to support controllers.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003
Wtf is with game names these days? Waroni? Come on. Was that the sequel to Warghetti or Warvioli, I forget? Oh, no, it was Warvatappi.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

So a turn-based world war II game called The troop just released. I've been eyeing it for a while but don't know anyone else who has played it in early access. Any impressions from anyone here? Thanks in advance.

It's got a demo. I played it and it was fun. Well put together and fairly intuitive. I just wanted to wait for it to come out of EA before I bought it.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003

Arrath posted:

Game might be too easy with all those post cold-war wonder weapons. "Mighty nice T90 you have, would be a shame if this two man marine team with a javelin were to annihilate it"

You misspelled "drone with a hand grenade tied to it."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003

Zadda posted:

For those interested in the Real Time Tactics genre, there is a playtest being organised for a new game in the Commandos series:

https://kalypsomedia.com/playtest/commandos-origins/

I probably won't go for the play test, but I'm definitely stoked about a modern take on the Commandos franchise.