Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

FastestGunAlive posted:

I think the Wargame thread died. I built a pc and started going through my steam backlog, starting with Wargame Air Land Battle. Looking for some tips. I’m doing the first NATO campaign and struggling to win battles. I have to completely destroy armies over the course of multiple turns because I can never hit the victory limit in match. I find myself just hunkering down with antitank units in forests and buildings because whenever I try to take the offense I get shredded.

I vaguely remember a thing with that game where patches that tweaked unit strengths for multiplayer reasons ended up making the single player campaign impossibly hard and basically breaking it.

I might be totally wrong but maybe something to check.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

C.M. Kruger posted:

Another one worth looking at IMO is Regiments. It is essentially a (very indie) Wargame but by way of World in Conflict. You have Wargame style units but also have WiCs Tactical Assists, you add more units to your army by way of picking sets of "task force" units, and infantry carriers are organic to infantry so you don't have to gently caress around with reorganizing everything after taking some losses.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1109680/Regiments/

Thanks for this, just tried the demo and it is VERY like Wargame (no bad thing).

I wish there were more war games that weren't "wargames", you know? I like semi realistic battles in historical settings but I hate the board game lineage of hexes and counters, they just feel like puzzle games to me.

Ultimate General: Civil War is probably my favourite strategy game in a long time because it's actually about manoeuvre and positioning in an open space and not just working out the most efficient order for units to spend their action points.

fuf fucked around with this message at 11:02 on Jun 22, 2020

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

V for Vegas posted:

Cossacks 3. Skip to 1:21 of this vid https://youtu.be/xF81tWZX84c

The massive armies in Cossacks 3 are so cool but I always thought it would be so much better if the units were actually grouped into companies / battalions / whatever that would stay in formation and form proper battle lines. The battles would look much better and be more coherent, and would hopefully involve more strategy than just smashing two giant blobs into each other.

I know you can build officers and drummers etc. and sort of form units manually but then it becomes really micro-intensive again.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
There's an open beta for Age of Empires IV this weekend. It starts in a few hours I think.

It looks pretty bad but I'll give it a try for the sake of nostalgia.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

OctaMurk posted:

South Africa DLC releasing for Wargame Red Dragon tomorrow. Pretty good cold war era RTT for anyone who hasnt tried the game

yeah this was weird to see pop up

I loved that game but I don't think I want to get back into multiplayer (if there is still a multiplayer scene?)

I wish the single player was better. The campaign thing was always pretty clunky. I guess there are no new campaigns with these nation packs anyway so single player would just mean skirmishes against AI?

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

pedro0930 posted:

New Wargame looking good.

This does look cool, but it's kind of sad that Eugen came up with such a good formula and then blew their lead by switching to the Steel Division games. It means we have to wait for these new companies to basically rebuild the same 10 year old game from scratch. Imagine where we'd be now if Eugen had stuck with Wargame.

They could have still done the switch to ww2, it was just the reduction in scale that ruined Steel Division imo. As soon as it became about micro-ing individual tanks I was out.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

Panzeh posted:

Wargame was also about microing individual tanks, lol. They had facing, weird platoon splitting/unsplitting shenanigans, ninja smoke with ATGMs, etc.

SD2 did actually make tanks wargame cheap but it made the infantry game so much worse that they went back a little on it.

Wargame was definitely larger scale in general though: you were more likely to have vehicles in groups and the game was at its best when you had loads of units on really big maps.

I'm always pining for strategy games that take place on an operational level where you move around big formations instead of individual vehicles or tiny squads of infantry. Wargame was one of the few franchises that leaned in that direction. The only others I can think of are Total War, Ashes of the Singularity I guess, and then loads of hex-based, turn-based games.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

Panzeh posted:

IMO, wargame was never really an operational game in any way because they're all really finicky games that have a ton of little tactical micro stuff.

Yeah that makes sense. It's honestly mostly an aesthetic thing for me. I get happy when I see big sweeping maps with little woods and towns etc.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

Panzeh posted:

Yeah, honestly, i'd love to see a napoleon/1700s type game in the wargame millieu, lots of map, focused out armies, tons of little villages and towns and bad roads in an engine that lets you zoom around like that, not a total war game where you're kinda already in the chicken coop.

Hell yeah that's basically my dream game

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
Old World?

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

pedro0930 posted:

While browsing the Autumn sale I noticed Knights of Honor 2 has a release date now for Dec 6. The first game came out almost 20 years ago. It plays somewhat similar to Total War but has simpler systems. Not sure how this sequel will hold up

https://store.steampowered.com/app/736820/Knights_of_Honor_II_Sovereign/

drat, I've actually been following this one so I'm really surprised to discover it comes out tomorrow.

I think the strategic layer looks cool, especially the real time movement of armies, but who knows about the tactical layer.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

pedro0930 posted:

So what's people impression?

It's kind of crazy to me how similar it feels to COH1 which came out... Jesus, 17 years ago.

Very similar gameplay and even the graphics seem similar (but I'm probably remembering the original game with a lot of nostalgia).

I guess it's the same old thing of wishing the RTS genre would evolve a bit rather than repeating conventions established in the 90s and 2000s.

pedro0930 posted:

Zooming level was as closed up as ever. I remember watching a show match between some youtubers and one of them is using the tactical view constantly to the point of annoyance...which I feel is an obvious sign that the zoom level is too closed up to manage your forces.

Yeah this is going to stop me from playing I think. At this point I am very used to navigating around in strategy games by zooming way out and then zooming back in where I want to be, and it drives me crazy that I can't do this.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

beer gas canister posted:

Can anyone recommend a single player game similar to Ultimate General: Civil War? Slow moving RTS, almost no micro, with a heavy emphasis on formation, position, and resource management. Total War is too plodding and stuff like CoH is too micro-heavy for my taste.

This is exactly the kind of game I want too and it's a shame there aren't more candidates

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

It's really good!

But superseded by Ultimate General: Civil War.

Honestly one of my favourite recent strategy / war games. No turns, no hexes, just sweeping manoeuvres on big open maps.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

beer gas canister posted:

Did you find that the campaign tends to snowball a bit if you're winning? At the halfway point the Union seems to utterly outpace the Confederacy in terms of sheer size and equipment. I'm on my third run of the campaign now, ramping up the difficulty each time, and the same thing keeps happening. Of course that's historically accurate, but it still makes the campaign drag a little.

Oh yeah the campaign was the weakest part by far. I guess it's the classic dilemma where if the player does well then there's no challenge, but if you artificially ramp up the challenge then there's no incentive to do well.

Yeah it was all about the battles for me.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

feller posted:

the joke is that it was suggested as a revolutionary war game

Oh haha, totally missed that

Panzeh posted:

Funny enough, Game-Labs is coming out with an American Revolutionary War game, but it's still in development.

https://www.ug1775.com/

Hell yeah, didn't know about this but now I'm really looking forward to it.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

Mordja posted:

Falling Frontier still looking extremely crisp.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4zto6KRnWQ

man I hope this is actually a good game and not just a beautiful UI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

Mordja posted:

Be advised: Company of Heroes 3 is having its first free weekend. It launched in a bit of a rough state (I still liked it, and continue to play multiplayer almost daily) but Relic has stuck by it and the game's in a good place these days. I actually beat the Italian campaign recently and had a blast. It's one of those conquer-the-world type of things that doesn't overstay its welcome and has more variety to its mission types than I expected.

Thanks for this, I've been giving it a whirl.

My main issue is not being able to zoom out very far, presumably because of engine constraints. It makes me realise how accustomed I've become to the smooth zoom out and zoom in as the main way of navigating around and getting a sense of what's going on. It's much better than mini maps and I can't really live without it now.