Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

StashAugustine posted:

I liked the feel of Wargame/Steel Division but felt like there were too many units that were hard to easily differentiate (also I'm just not very good at RTS so smaller scale would be nice I guess). Is that basically the pitch for this?

I’ve been playing a load of steel division 2 recently and had that problem at first. Turns out doing 2 v 2 all ai gives you a nice manageable slice of the map.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Oh man I played the gently caress out of conquest frontier wars. Game looks sick

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

It's not at all flashy magic but Steel Division 2 is pretty dope. You use a deck system to build a division; so you might have access to only like 4 Tigers or something and once they're gone they're gone. It's based on the eastern front so a lot of shouting ooh rah! and flanking with T-34s.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TgFrXX84Tu8

It's also "realistic" in the sense that it's not all rock-paper-scissors where there's a direct counter to everything. Like for example, fighting heavy tanks at long range without heavy tanks of your own? You could send in anti-tank planes. You could pound them with artillery until they get scared and retreat. You could drop loads of smoke on them and close the distance. You could just ignore them entirely and attack somewhere else. Etc etc.

You play mostly zoomed out but I like zooming in a watching the dudes run around. Mostly play against AI while sorta high but there's a strong competitive scene if that's your thing.

edit: i guess this rec goes for ninjewtsu too. you can have a buttload of units and there's no cap. but it's not a standard base-builder RTS. you get a set income per minute and use that to deploy a set roster (that you create)

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Murgos posted:

Unless there is some kind of breakthrough/envelopment/maneuver mechanic then that does sound really tedious.

Concentrating and maneuvering to force a defender out of position is a compelling aspect of modern war but I’ve never seen an AI that can respect and react to it.

That's basically what you do in Steel Division 2 (and i guess 1). Someone has a King Tiger or IS-2 chilling in some trees with a load of infantry and anti-tank guns or whatever. Fine, just flank them attack somewhere else and force them to move to reinforce or get surrounded.

That's RTS though not turn based. Turn based yeah Unity of Command is dope, but I sorta never got the hang of it.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Either of the unity of command 2 dlcs worth it? Blitzkrieg is -20% and Barb is 0% off.

Never finished the original campaign though, doing it now! But relearning with the new tutorial because I don't think i really ever figured out how the combat works.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

never played a company of honor downloading the alpha, better get to play as honorable nazis just fighting for their people unaware of any war crimes happening

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Kvlt! posted:

are there any strategy games in that setting? that sounds cool

If you mean whatever a weird war two is no clue. But for Chinese front there’s Hearts of Iron

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Supposedly the next SD2 campaign dlc is going to be much smaller. Since peoples number 1 complaint is that the fronts just have too much units and too many battles between kinda dull infantry. So hopefully that’s true.

The smallest campaign (Bobruisk? Whatever the 1/3 complicated level one is) was pretty fun since you’re pretty focused on using just a few tank divisions for attacking.

New small dlc out for SD2 today as well, some dope looking Free French dudes with sick hats.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

Having played a bunch of Planetary Annihilation recently, this just makes me want to play more Planetary Annihilation.

and seeing this makes me want to reinstall supreme commander

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

What’s wrong with the SD2 infantry? It’s the only eugen game I’ve played.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

pedro0930 posted:

In SD2 they made all tanks around 20-50pt cheaper while infantry kept the same price. They decide to give every cannon 2000m range (changed in recent patch, but that's like, years after release already). So now there's is a whole bunch more tanks all able to fire on infantry from 2000m away which really kills a lot of their ability to maneuver or do anything (I suppose you can tediously fire walls of smoke everywhere). Moving the setting from the bocage country of Normandy didn't help any as now the maps are a lot more open.

But as far as I'm aware all the meta divisions are infantry heavy divisions? I thought if anything infantry is too good!

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

From what I gather Wargame didn’t have divisions? Like you could just pick whatever unit for the “faction”?

Seems like Warno has divisions so you’ll be “forced” to use the more rando weird units because maybe it’s all you’ve got.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

The thing with Planetary Annihilation is it just makes me want to reinstall Supreme Commander.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Saros posted:

Nebulous: Fleet command is out in early access and its excellent. Its a Homeworld style RTS but with an enormous amount of depth and EWAR as well as full ship customisation. Apparently made by a US navy guy so its pretty deep and goes a lot further into jamming/countermeasures/intel etc than most games.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JcDlzuv4ujI

Ah looks sick. Reading the Expanse right now so really in the mood for blasting some Inners.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

LLSix posted:

That looks cool, but it weirds me out that the spaceships with sails look bigger than star destroyers. I think Disney retconned them to be more reasonably sized, but I remember star destroyers being more than a mile long.

Star Destroyer is a mile/1.6km long yeah, dunno what those sail ships are, is that a sequel trilogy thing?

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Oh dam, I definitely played End War but have almost entirely forgotten about it.

Except for yelling into the mic that was dope i guess

Any play Distant Worlds 2 yet? Just came out looks interesting.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

The AI in great war also seems to do like, one attack and then go gently caress it and cease fire.

I suppose that makes sense, but kinda awkward when you spend time setting up defenses and then spend like half the battle on fast forward waiting for the ai to just throw in the towel..

And I wish it was a bit more clear on how much supply you get while you're in the battle. Like you have an amount when you're setting up, then you get more when you start the battle, but how much more? Seems you have to memorize the total amount before going into battle.

pedro0930 posted:

Yeah, I don't know how I'd feel if it's going to be broadly similar gameplay over and over for 30, 50 times a campaign, but it's just the demo so I maybe the actual campaign will flow better. I don't know if it's a bug or not but my troops were able to use the defender's trenches to shoot at the counter attack wave and that just trivialize things completely when in reality defending counter attack was another huge problem.

yeah i don't quite get how the firing arc works when shooting "backwards". it's just hard to even tell *where* shots are coming from in general.

I don't think I had my dudes full blasting at reinforcing troops, I think it's some percent able to fire "backwards"?

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

yeah multiple times a few random dudes just do a 180 and go the opposite direction on a ramp

also hard to select special abilities? would be nice if group select just listed what every unit could do

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

The logo looked like ZergSpace. But I dunno, looks alright.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Captain Oblivious posted:

I imagine this thread probably has heard of this already but in case you haven't:

For the people here who were maximally horny for Total Annihilation/Supreme Commander once upon a time there is a free, open source game called Beyond All Reason that is one gushing love letter to those games. It's pretty good. I have sent hundreds if not thousands of robots to their doom.

Hell yeah game owns.

Been messing mostly with Armada in skirmish vs AI and drat those big Core bots just wreck me. What's the counter for the like Krogoth dude and the (barely) mobile artillery thing?? Seems like the T3 Arm stuff just gets wrecked.

And do enemy AI use nukes? My ally AI were slinging nukes left and right but never seen an enemy one.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

BAR just feels like a direct sequel to original TA and captures what was fun about it.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

After playing TA where after some insane multi hour battle the whole battlefield is just clogged with so many wrecks you'd have to nuke them to clear a path to enemy...then going to Starcraft where at the end of a match the map is just empty was a shocker.

Got a unit cap have to build houses can't just pump out basically infinite robots??

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Yeah BAR is great. Actually captures the feel of TA.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

I always play Poland in aoe2 because they have 3x3 windmills that line up perfectly with the 3x3 farms.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

CoH is in my opinion the greatest RTS ever made. It still looks and plays great despite being 20 years old.

For some reason I've got CoH, CoH: Tales of Valor, CoH: Opposing Fronts, and CoH Legacy Edition in my steam library. Which do I install?

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

There’s this odd dichotomy between wanting the ai to be “challenging” but also wanting it not to “cheat”.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Cicero posted:

Why is that an odd dichotomy? If the AI slots into the same role as a player, appears to be going through the same motions, but in actuality the things it's doing have no connection to its capabilities -- that's going to feel less satisfying.

A good example of improving on this is Stormgate's co-op mode. SC2's co-op mode had the AI spawning waves from bases even if those bases had been destroyed; in Stormgate, you can stop those waves by killing the bases. Which makes sense, right?

Was imagining the standard like +25% resource generation or whatever but still pressing all the same buttons as the player.

I think it's odd because AI just can't compete with the best humans, CPU always gonna suck. So if you want a challenge from the AI they're going to have to get some sort of artificial boost.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

The strategic layer in Nebulous is single player right? I like the game but couldn't really get into the sweaty missile pvp lobbies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Is there any way to get WASD scrolling in CoH3?

I've been playing CoH1 and that doesn't have it but figured the new one would...