Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
RTS FFA games are some of the best LAN/bullshit with friends experiences and it sucks rear end that they're an unpopular part of a dead genre. I have had lots of friends who like strategy games but very few that would ever play them in 'normal' versus modes, so aside from comp stomps (which I've always found really boring) big FFA games were the only multiplayer I could get going.

Some friends did want to try MP Civ 6 and I played a few games with them, but it was more or less a disaster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
Atlas Reactor? It was kind of neat when I tried it.

I guess it's more of a tactics game than a mobs though

May 8, 2006

I also loved Empire Earth, and the space expansion is one of my top gaming disappointments of all time.

It was likely child me getting hype over details myself and other GameFAQs posters made up, but I remember thinking that it was going to have multiple planets as in multiple normal maps connected via a space map, instead of what they released with seas-as-space.

May 8, 2006

Jossar posted:

Apparently Civilization 2: Test of Time did actually do this, having maps that were "up and down" relative to the main one. It probably makes more sense for a turn-based strategy than an RTS anyway due to how complicated it would be to manage everything.

Yeah, I played a lot of Civ: ToT as a kid. If I recall, you had 3 different scenarios that used the 'stacked' maps: Default Civ 2 with an Alpha Centauri map in case you want to end the game by grinding through an alien civ, a sci fi one that covered 3 planets and orbital platforms around the starting planet, and a fantasy one with land, ocean, sky, and underworld. I think only the fantasy one really worked, as the different civs would start in different areas and determined your access to units that could move between the different maps. The Alpha Centauri mode was just a slog tacked onto the end of the normal game, and the Sci-fi one was neat but snowballed even worse than normal Civ because whoever got to the 'upper' maps first and claimed territory had a huge advantage.

It was actually pretty cool and honestly I should given it a revisit as an adult.

May 8, 2006

Yeah I really liked making a specialized force and joining the biggest team games and doing my thing, but the Venn diagram of horrible shitheads and military hardware fetishists is basically a circle.

Related, I think 'team based game where you pick a specialized subset of units' might actually be the future of RTS, should anyone every decide to pursue it.

May 8, 2006

Yeah some games have done it - World in Conflict/Ground Control, Myth (as mentioned) etc.

I guess I was thinking more like

Cynic Jester posted:

This is what Co-op Starcraft 2 is and it is great.

It still has the base building and resource gathering, but you're picking a character with a set of abilities and units. Also release the Myth games digitally cowards

May 8, 2006

Has anyone played Ashes of the Singularity? Fanatical has a bundle deal for it going on right now: https://www.fanatical.com/en/bundle/ashes-of-singularity-escalation-bundle

May 8, 2006

Age of Empires Earth

May 8, 2006

BFME2 rules and it's criminal that you can't still buy it

May 8, 2006

'action rts' is a criminally underserved genre and yes I liked brutal legend

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

May 8, 2006

as a kid i played the demos for dark colony and dark reign a lot. i have no idea why.