Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

I've been playing the developing beta of Sins of a Solar Empire 2 and it has been my most played RTS as of recent. Ironclad Studios basically rebuilt the original game in a 64 bit engine and have been making major changes to mechanics and units each month. At first I thought the developers were being too conservative with changes, but a lot of things have been revealed to have been placeholder and they have had no problems reworking entire portions that were un-fun or not working from the first game. I think my most favourite addition to the game is that there is a "tier 0" tech level now for each of the races, so things like asteroid mining have to be researched first and the Vasari start the game from outside the star system and must settle a home planet. It's still a year off or so from release, but the parts that are in the game right now are pretty fun and working alright. The AI just received some love in the last couple of patches and has been a lot more difficult to fight against. The only reason I'm not recommending it is because you can only get it through Epic Games at the moment, which is a pain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

ZearothK posted:

Speaking of, how is Sins 1? I got it for free in some giveaway and it has been hanging out in my games list since.

Sins: Rebellion holds up but its longevity relies heavily on mods and total conversions. The Star Trek: Armada one is really good. The singleplayer AI is either too easy or too hard; the jump from normal to hard difficulty is quite a huge leap. As for multiplayer, it has one of the most unwelcoming communities I've ever encountered for an indie game.

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Red Rox posted:

I’ve been playing Dune to scratch the Dune itch and having fun - it’s a super chill game. Some RTS games are way too stressful haha.

Maybe I’m just used to other 4X and RTS games, but I feel like the combat in Dune seems really shallow? You only have a small variety of troops, no vehicles, and bases can tank a stupid amount of damage.

I guess combat isn’t the main focus, but surely they could add a few - missile ships, or battle thopters, or tanks - which of course would attract worms and make things more interesting.

The combat is what turned me off of the new Dune game. They put so much great work into everything else but the combat sucks poo poo. It kind of reminds me of Dawn of War 3's.